Thread: Houston

Houston

I didn't see a thread on Houston, so:

My lovely bride and I are going to Houston in April for a friend's wedding. We will also be celebrating our anniversary during the weekend.

Does anyone have recommendations for a nice restaurant for Friday night? What about things to do (maybe areas to walk around) during the down time between wedding and reception on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I didn't see a thread on Houston, so:

My lovely bride and I are going to Houston in April for a friend's wedding. We will also be celebrating our anniversary during the weekend.

Does anyone have recommendations for a nice restaurant for Friday night? What about things to do (maybe areas to walk around) during the down time between wedding and reception on Saturday?
    I just moved from Houston after living there for about 35 years. My wife usually made "reservations" for dinner, so our knowledge of good restaurants is pretty extensive. If you can tell me what you expect in a "fine" restaurant, what part of town you will be in, and the kind of food you like, I think I can help you. Send me a PM with that info and I will get back to you as soon as I can. I can also talk to you on the phone about it if you want. Just let me know in the PM.

ricks

Backstreet Patio/Cafe, a DBR'er recommended it from the 2010 title run and we loved it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

Backstreet Patio/Cafe, a DBR'er recommended it from the 2010 title run and we loved it.

I agree. If the weather is hot, sit in front of the big fan. If nice, sit about anywhere outside along the back. Duck spring rolls are outstanding, along with Pecan crusted chicken, red corn chicken enchiladas, corn pudding, butternut squash, asparagus (you can change the sides that come with the meal). Coffee crusted tenderloin is excellent if you are into red meat (we're not)-----if you don't mind being wired the rest of the night.

http://backstreetcafe.net/about.html

They also have a sister restaurant (and two others that I would think would not be of interest to you) called "Hugo's". Excellent Mexican cuisine that is not TexMex, but more like gourmet Mexico City. We like sitting out on their patio just as much, if not more, than at Backstreet café. If squash blossoms are in season, get just about anything on that menu---outstanding. Just about anything you want to try on the main menu will be excellent, also. My wife and I have had many, many of their dishes. Their menu changes all the time, but we haven't ever had a bad (or even average) meal there.

http://hugosrestaurant.net/

(You can also trust weezie. She has good taste. Oh, I may have been the DBR'er that recommended Backstreet to her, also. Maybe?)

Like I said, just contact me if you need more info. Oh, and make reservations in advance of your trip, or they will probably not be able to accommodate you.

ricks

Haha, ricks, you quickly seconded the Backstreet recommendation, true. I can't remember the name of the lady who sand it's praises but is was a former poster here who seems to have gone awol.

Anyway, if you order the Backstreet brunch shrimp and grits, be prepared to slap yourself in your own face with joy. You won't believe how brilliant you are.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Haha, ricks, you quickly seconded the Backstreet recommendation, true. I can't remember the name of the lady who sand it's praises but is was a former poster here who seems to have gone awol.

Anyway, if you order the Backstreet brunch shrimp and grits, be prepared to slap yourself in your own face with joy. You won't believe how brilliant you are.
    The shrimp and grits with Frank's hot sauce at "Shade" in The Heights is even better. It's another outstanding restaurant that I recommend. Just about anything you order there is excellent. The Snapper over Wasabi is our favorite, with the shrimp and grits as an appetizer, and the Citrus Salad. We usually split those 3, and are too stuffed for desert. The scallops are another winner for us----rich, however, very rich.

http://www.shadeandcanopy.com/Shade/

ricks