Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New movie trailer - Blind Ref

Starring Will Smith...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=466953896750319

No word yet if they shot any scenes in the Dean Dome during last night's Clemson game.

That was 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDevil View Post
    Actually, that's one of the better things that Will Smith has done in the last decade. I'd watch that 342 more times if I can get the 2 hours of 'After Earth' back.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDevil View Post
    Hey, I never claimed it was good...

How close does this come to ridicule of an unfortunate condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    How close does this come to ridicule of an unfortunate condition?
    It is ridiculing an unfortunate condition.

It's the kind of thing where if I had a loved one who was blind, I would probably think it was pretty offensive. As it is, I just found it sort of unfunny. A blind guy walking into a rack of basketballs and knocking them over... yeah, good one. Hilarious.

In my younger days, a few of my friends and I tried to get a website going that would essentially have been the "Youtube of bad and/or controversial officiating". The idea was to give fans of all sports a place to view blown calls and vent after a tough loss. This might sound mean-spirited, but the NBA, NCAA, and FIFA had some truly atrocious officiating back then. (Some would say that the NCAA and FIFA still do.) The name of the site would have been threeblindmice.com.

Alas, we quickly came to realize that the networks and sports leagues would sue the bejesus out of us.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Actually, that's one of the better things that Will Smith has done in the last decade. I'd watch that 342 more times if I can get the 2 hours of 'After Earth' back.
    I Am Legend wasn't bad.

But yea, the "Blind Ref" thing was just a little exploitative of people with disabilities.

It is gonna be ok!

There is humor everywhere in life, even in tragedy. Let's not look for reasons to be offended when looking for humor is so much more healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I Am Legend wasn't bad.

But yea, the "Blind Ref" thing was just a little exploitative of people with disabilities.
    Not the right forum for this, but agreed on I Am Legend. That was a great film. Seven Pounds and The Pursuit of Happyness were also excellent films starring Will Smith. The man is one of the more talented actors of his generation.

As for this mock movie trailer, underneath it all, there is a humorous commentary there on the absurdly poor officiating in many of today's sports (namely in the NFL this season). But, like others, I did feel some of it was in poor taste (i.e. the blind man running into the ball rack).

But Will Smith is great. One of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Not the right forum for this, but agreed on I Am Legend. That was a great film. Seven Pounds and The Pursuit of Happyness were also excellent films starring Will Smith. The man is one of the more talented actors of his generation.

As for this mock movie trailer, underneath it all, there is a humorous commentary there on the absurdly poor officiating in many of today's sports (namely in the NFL this season). But, like others, I did feel some of it was in poor taste (i.e. the blind man running into the ball rack).

But Will Smith is great. One of my favorites.
    Have not seen Seven Pounds or Pursuit of Happyness. Those have been on my list for some time. Agreed on Will Smith though... I think he gets a lot of criticism due to how much money he commands. Every actor does a stinker or two (or in Robert DeNiro's case lately, every movie he does).

Have not seen Seven Pounds or Pursuit of Happyness. Those have been on my list for some time. Agreed on Will Smith though... I think he gets a lot of criticism due to how much money he commands. Every actor does a stinker or two (or in Robert DeNiro's case lately, every movie he does).
    He gets a lot of criticism because of the way that he forces Hollywood to promote his kids. It's nepotism at it's worst. Pitt, Clooney, and Denzel make plenty of money, but they aren't scrutinized the same way.

For your reading pleasure:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-co...b_3950056.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3200339.html

Just type in "Jaden Smith Will Smith" in Google and you see why Will Smith gets such a bad rap. There is fatherhood, and then there is Will Smith-hood.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

He gets a lot of criticism because of the way that he forces Hollywood to promote his kids. It's nepotism at it's worst. Pitt, Clooney, and Denzel make plenty of money, but they aren't scrutinized the same way.

For your reading pleasure:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-co...b_3950056.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3200339.html

Just type in "Jaden Smith Will Smith" in Google and you see why Will Smith gets such a bad rap. There is fatherhood, and then there is Will Smith-hood.
    While I admittedly have never seen After Earth, that many people can't be wrong about it. Beyond M. Night Sham-o-lan ruining the production and overall vision of the film, it sounds as if it was a role that Jaden Smith's shoes were not big enough to fill. So maybe that's on Will Smith.

However, I did see Pursuit of Happyness and Jaden was excellent in that film in his supporting role as Smith's on-screen son. I think the kid has some acting chops, just not to the degree that his father may believe. And, as is the case with many child actors, sometimes kids lose their magic with age.

Do you not enjoy Will Smith, simply as an actor, at all? Forget about all the other stuff on the periphery, and I think we're discussing one of the ten greatest actors of his time. My opinion, of course.

When I saw the thread title I assumed the discussion would be about Dick Paparo.

not really funny...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays a lawyer in Arrested Development who pretends to be blind in order to get sympathy from the jury. It worked because it was actually funny.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays a lawyer in Arrested Development who pretends to be blind in order to get sympathy from the jury. It worked because it was actually funny.
    Agreed. Because she was intentionally despicable.

He gets a lot of criticism because of the way that he forces Hollywood to promote his kids. It's nepotism at it's worst.
    Pretty hyperbolic. There are more egregious and more pernicious examples of nepotism than a few vanity projects.

Agreed. Because she was intentionally despicable.
    In an oddly endearing way.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    When I saw the thread title I assumed the discussion would be about Dick Paparo.
    Or Brian Kersey.

Can't say Karl Hess because he sees everyyyyyyyyyyything on and off the court and in the stands and near the popcorn maker.