Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High praise for JJ

Great to watch him develop after so much skepticism about his NBA potential.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...ggets-warriors

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    4. Do the Warriors have the league's best backcourt? If not, who's better?

Arnovitz: No, unless you can point to something Klay Thompson does substantially better than J.J. Redick. Because even if -- and it's a big, big if -- you assign equal weight to Stephen Curry and Chris Paul, Redick is a better overall shooter than Thompson. In the worst 3-point shooting season of his career, Redick still owns a higher true shooting percentage. He's a better defender, a more capable playmaker, more likely to get to the line and his off-ball movement does far more for his team's offense than anything Thompson does when he's not rising and shooting.

Cianfrone: Nope. Give me the Clippers' combo of Chris Paul and J.J. Redick. For as great as he is, Steph isn't better than CP3 and Redick has a bit more versatility in his offensive game than Klay, especially as a distributor, and isn't that much worse of a defender. The Warriors' duo probably will get there, though.

Elhassan: I resisted answering in the affirmative, but there aren't that many options! For all the great point guards in the league, there aren't a lot of solid shooting guards. It says a lot when Washington (John Wall and Bradley Beal) and Phoenix (Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic) have legitimate arguments for inclusion. I think a healthy Chris Paul and J.J. Redick are probably the best, but since they AREN'T healthy, Golden State gets my vote.

McNeill: Yes, although I'd like to give a nod of approval to a healthy Chris Paul-J.J. Redick pairing. Thompson and Curry stretch defenses to the break with their dead-eye shooting and general offensive wizardry. And while they're not a great defensive pairing, they do enough in those areas to maintain a healthy net efficiency.

Strauss: They're tops now that Eric Bledsoe's out with an injury and Wesley Matthews is coming back to earth. Still, there's a massive production gap between Curry and Thompson. Thompson's a solid defender, but he doesn't provide much on offense besides the 3-point shooting. The Splash Brothers are more like distant cousins in terms of their output on that end of the court.

JJ is on fire against the Mavs, 23 points on 8-11 shooting with 6 treys . . . in the first half. What a baller.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    JJ is on fire against the Mavs, 23 points on 8-11 shooting with 6 treys . . . in the first half. What a baller.
    Ends with 33. Looked like JJ at Duke- only faster and stronger. He has worked his tail off to have an NBA career and it is now paying dividends.

Redick's Hot Hand

His 7 3-pointers enroute to his 33 points.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/clipp...alf-threes.nba

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    JJ is one of my favorite Dukies to follow in the NBA. (Damn shame that there are so many to choose from. ) If I had a kid who was either feeling down about himself, or just needed some inspiration for some motivation, I would point to Redick as a shining example. I remember most of us wishing he'd get out of Orlando; but I wonder if he'd be the same player if he hadn't been stuck there. Pinned to the bench, he worked his tail off to prove he belonged on the court, and is now one of the more respected players in the NBA. Great story that is still hopefully a long way from an ending.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    JJ is one of my favorite Dukies to follow in the NBA. (Damn shame that there are so many to choose from. ) If I had a kid who was either feeling down about himself, or just needed some inspiration for some motivation, I would point to Redick as a shining example. I remember most of us wishing he'd get out of Orlando; but I wonder if he'd be the same player if he hadn't been stuck there. Pinned to the bench, he worked his tail off to prove he belonged on the court, and is now one of the more respected players in the NBA. Great story that is still hopefully a long way from an ending.
    Redick was my first introduction to Duke basketball when I was at Duke. Since then, I've idolized the guy. On top of that, my wife is a huge fan because, in her words, "he is a gorgeous looking man". I tend to agree.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    So, JJ was +19 for the game. No other Clipper was more than a +3. The final margin was 2 points.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    His 7 3-pointers enroute to his 33 points.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/clipp...alf-threes.nba
    Reminded me of the Virginia and Texas games... GO JJ !!!

Awesome!

thanks for sharing the video clip. That was like a trip down memory lane.

It was particularly impressive when he got essentially stepped on (or at least kicked in the face), had to helped back up, and then nailed the uncontested three at the other end while he was still trying to sort out which way was up.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Awesome!

thanks for sharing the video clip. That was like a trip down memory lane.

It was particularly impressive when he got essentially stepped on (or at least kicked in the face), had to helped back up, and then nailed the uncontested three at the other end while he was still trying to sort out which way was up.
    Yeh, his teammate jerks him up and then JJ hits the 3 as the last man down the court. I'm glad the refs didn't call a charge because he wouldn't have made the 3. I think the guy that jerked him up deserves an assist as well, lol. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Those were GREAT, but my all-time favorite JJ game will always be his assault of State in the 2003 ACC title game when he was a freshman. The last 10 minutes were just insane--more than a few moments that were so good all I could do was laugh. He was good from Day 1, but the State game was the first time I thought "this dude might turn out to be a legend."

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    The UVa game is my favorite JJ game. If memory serves me correctly, JJ was 7-9 from 3, 10-13 overall, 10-11 from the line on route to 40 points. Basically, he had 40 points off 13 shots. The Legend of JJ. I hope the days of a four year player becoming a superstar aren't over at Duke. Nolan was very close, but he wasn't JJ.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I hope the days of a four year player becoming a superstar aren't over at Duke. Nolan was very close, but he wasn't JJ.
    JJ left Duke as the leading scorer in ACC history. He hold numerous records at Duke. I think the odds are excellent that even kids who become All-Americans at Duke will also be players where we say, "he wasn't JJ." And there ain't anything wrong with that.

-Jason "JWill, JJ, Shane, Christian, and Gminski... that's my all-time starting five**" Evans

**- And I fear I just ignited a new DBR debate
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Grant Hill says hello

JJ left Duke as the leading scorer in ACC history. He hold numerous records at Duke. I think the odds are excellent that even kids who become All-Americans at Duke will also be players where we say, "he wasn't JJ." And there ain't anything wrong with that.

-Jason "JWill, JJ, Shane, Christian, and Gminski... that's my all-time starting five**" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mambo View Post
    Grant Hill says hello
    The offseason says hello. Stop this now.

I won't get into my all time Duke starting 5, but JJ would be the 2 guard on that squad no question. Best pure shooter in the history of college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by m g View Post
    Great to watch him develop after so much skepticism about his NBA potential.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...ggets-warriors
    I'm sure college-aged Redick would appreciate the double entendre in this post's title.

Redick's turned himself into a consummate pro, and a darn good player, as well. Here's to hoping his success on the court last a long, long time.

And here's hoping the Magic are kicking themselves for their misuse (lack of use) of Redick for so many years.

Field of Dreams script (Duke Basketball version) retitled Court of Dreams:

Ray: Where's Laettner?

Hurley (played by Ray Liota): He wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-***** when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!

1st Team: Hurley, JJ, Grant, Shane, Laettner
    2nd Team: JWill, JohnnyD, Heyman, Brand, Ferry
    The Gordog

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ecord/4483851/

Unfortunately, JJ will lose the NCAA Record for 3 pointers soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ecord/4483851/

Unfortunately, JJ will lose the NCAA Record for 3 pointers soon.
    I watched him play this year at Indiana and he was not impressive at all. Chucked shot after shot and I'm not sure if he made one.