Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 69, Virginia 65 -- Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Thoughts? My brain is blank. (Cue "so what else is new" comments.)

Way to close out the game. I wanted the ball in 'Sheed's hands down the stretch and he delivered. He was incredible tonight!

Very fortunate there. Should have lost down the stretch, got a couple of fortunate bounces. Cant blow 13 point leads at home.

Good to win it at the end. That would have been crushing to have lost that game.

Rasheed and Amile --- co-men of the match.

oy vey!

and yikes!

A lot of good in that game...

- great rotation adjustment by K. Kept the guys fresh and the energy levels high.
    - Great games by Amile and Sulaimon
    - much better defensive effort and stronger on the boards

Some bad:

- Parker still hasn't figured out what ails him
    - Cook still making some bad decisions with the ball
    - gotta close the game out better. In control all but 3 min of the game. Felt more like clinging to victory. That shouldn't happen at home.

Can't decide between "nothing new to see here" and "we just saved our season".

This was better than another loss, but not by much. I wish I felt more optimism about the next couple months, but I don't

I love Amile. Easily my favorite player on this team. (Andre and Rasheed are second.)

Wow. What a game by him and Sulaimon.

What a clutch game.

A win is a win, but I don't feel the least bit encouraged. Sorry, when we play that badly down the stretch at home, I shutter to think about March.

My head is still hurting, dear lord. Way too close but at the end of the day, it was a big win for the team's overall psyche and overall resume. Virginia is a good team and will be playing in the NCAA Tournament.

What was funny is after UVA took the lead 65-64 I was getting ready to post my complete distaste for this team and put the L squarely on Sulaimon's shoulders (giving up the 3pt play, throwing the ball awwy at mid-court, missing a big FT), but WOW was that a big 3.

"Just when I thought you couldnt get any dumber, you go and do something like this...and TOTALLY redeem yourself"

Way to go Rasheed!

1. Amile was a beast tonight. 15 rebounds ...
    2. Maybe it was a coincidence that UVA's comeback came with Plumlee on the bench. Or maybe it wasn't. Regardless, he didn't do anything that showed he was a liability, and the defense looked tighter with him in the game.
    3. Rasheed was clutch, way to break out.
    4. Matt Jones did not disappoint. Really liked his intensity, speed, and length on defense.

Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Way to close out the game. I wanted the ball in 'Sheed's hands down the stretch and he delivered. He was incredible tonight!
    We stole this one. Never should have been in a position to lose. We need more energy too much finesse way too much dribble. Suliamon and Jefferson were warriors.

We simply are not a Top 25 team. The defense was very bad again. Thankfully, UVA missed a TON of point blank shots and then one of the dumbest passes I've seen in a college game in quite some time to save the team from another 10+ point choke job.

107.6 D and -3 on the glass after being up like +5 or so (it felt) after the 1st half. Same issues that probably just aren't going to get fixed this year.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    A lot of good in that game...

- great rotation adjustment by K. Kept the guys fresh and the energy levels high.
    - Great games by Amile and Sulaimon
    - much better defensive effort and stronger on the boards

Some bad:

- Parker still hasn't figured out what ails him
    - Cook still making some bad decisions with the ball
    - gotta close the game out better. In control all but 3 min of the game. Felt more like clinging to victory. That shouldn't happen at home.
    Parker and his teammates need to get him in positions where he can use his talents. He can drive. Get him the ball at the elbow and let him he work. He can post. Spread the offense and get him the ball on the block. He can roll off the pick. Keep drilling it in our guards to look for him on that instead of pounding the ball.
    Windy City Devil

So, um...did anyone else think that we were a better team this game when Jabari wasn't on the floor?

Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Jefferson, and either Dawkins or Jones was what I was by far the most comfortable with

Hood needs to stop driving into three players and throwing up a bad shot, though

I think if it weren't for Cook the Cavs would have started their comeback sooner.

The Cameron bounce and Amile's crazy long arms saved us, possibly saves the season. UVA is a good team, but losing like we almost did would have been very difficult to come back from. Plus we would have been staring at .500 or sub .500 as an ACC finish.

Need to go take my heart meds.

Think this was a big win and bodes well for the rest of the year. Yes giving up a 13 point lead at home sucks but they responded and won the game. I think this gives them confidence going forward after failing to close out Notre Dame and Clemson. Just need Jabari to find his offense again, I think he's getting frustrated that he's getting beat up down low and not getting the calls.

Two words

Two words: Amile. Rasheed. But for them....
    I really fear for the rest of the season if this is the response to the whooping we took on Saturday. Looked pretty familiar, no penetration, standing around, hoisting threes, lack of defense.