I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

WBB: Chelsea Gray out for season

On Twitter and confirmation on herald sun.com, Chelsea's injury yesterday, thought to be a thigh bruise, actually was a fractured kneecap (same oneshe dislocated last season.). She will have surgery soon and her Duke bball career is over.

Devastating news.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    On Twitter and confirmation on herald sun.com, Chelsea's injury yesterday, thought to be a thigh bruise, actually was a fractured kneecap (same oneshe dislocated last season.). She will have surgery soon and her Duke bball career is over.

Devastating news.
    I am so sorry of Chelsea and only hope that the surgery is a complete success and she recovers fully. I wish her well in all her endeavors. Injury is such a shame for these kids - with all their hard work and dedication. I can only hope she has a chance to play professionally. I am sure her teammates are devastated. Be well, Chelsea.

Devastating news.
    This is devasting news to read. Chelsea has fought back to be a part of the team this season. My heart breaks for her and the team. Thanks for posting this. Chelsea has been a leader of the Women's Basketball Team.

Sad news. Good luck to her on her recovery, hopefully it doesn't become a chronic problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I am so sorry of Chelsea and only hope that the surgery is a complete success and she recovers fully. I wish her well in all her endeavors. Injury is such a shame for these kids - with all their hard work and dedication. I can only hope she has a chance to play professionally. I am sure her teammates are devastated. Be well, Chelsea.
    This is a tough tough blow. Needs to look at Robbie Hummel - everyone though he was done and now is playing in the NBA. This surgery is more involved than what she just had and it will take much longer to recover. Hopefully she can continue to get treatment and PT at Duke- maybe even continuing as a grad student. It would be great if Duke could find a way to help her with her recovery.

Gutted by this. Sports are so damned cruel.

Unhappy Chelsea Gray out for the rest of the season (again)

Fractured knee-cap. :-( My heart really goes out to her, to suffer season-ending injuries in both her junior and senior years is just terribly sad.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Darn, don't know how I missed the thread already up... sorry... mods, feel free to delete or move. Chalk it up to post-game adrenaline crash.
    Last edited by Son of Jarhead; 01-13-2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: I'm am apparently blind.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Gutted by this. Sports are so damned cruel.
    Well said. Such a shame for Chelsea and the team.

Sad to hear. Best vibes for a full and quick recovery.

This sucks. Chelsea is the heart of this team, and it's tough to have your heart on the sidelines. I still think a Final Four is a great goal to have and one they can achieve, but I'm not sure this team can win it all without Chelsea. She's the best player and the leader. Devastating for the her and the team. She will still be a first round draft pick, and I hope she can stay healthy and make a living doing what she loves. This is just brutal.

This is just devastating for Chelsea. It is such a shame that she will never be able to demonstrate her full abilities in a Blue Devil uniform again. And sad for her teammates, whose national aspirations suffered a crippling blow.

I must comment that I was at the game yesterday. Saw when Chelsea went down. Play was not stopped. She tried to play on, but it was obvious that she had at least a temporarily serious injury. Yet Joanne left her in for a minute or so, while Chelsea gamely tried to hobble down the court. It appeared obvious to any sentient human being that Chelsea at best could barely walk, much less run, and at worst had suffered a serious injury. But our intrepid coach left her in the game. When she finally came out she dashed off the court with the trainer. Only later did Dr. Toth go off with her. I don't know who was downplaying the injury, but our crack medical staff appeared to evidence little concern. So little that Chelsea actually came back and played fairly effectively, although she appeared to have been slowed. I was particularly concerned that the Coach appeared to be unconcerned about an injury that, as it turns out, is career ending. I would like to think the Coach had more concern for the welfare of her players. But this was a game where our coach came dressing in the opponents colors. Guess I just don't understand much of anything anymore.

I wish it were that easy. Some injuries are obvious - think snapped legs (I still cringe).

Some injuries aren't so obvious - Kyrie played on his toe.

Some hits hurt a lot for a little, and then go away. Kids bang knees, roll ankles, land hard and bounce back. I won't begin to guess when a player should be pulled or not.

-jk

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    This is just devastating for Chelsea. It is such a shame that she will never be able to demonstrate her full abilities in a Blue Devil uniform again. And sad for her teammates, whose national aspirations suffered a crippling blow.

I must comment that I was at the game yesterday. Saw when Chelsea went down. Play was not stopped. She tried to play on, but it was obvious that she had at least a temporarily serious injury. Yet Joanne left her in for a minute or so, while Chelsea gamely tried to hobble down the court. It appeared obvious to any sentient human being that Chelsea at best could barely walk, much less run, and at worst had suffered a serious injury. But our intrepid coach left her in the game. When she finally came out she dashed off the court with the trainer. Only later did Dr. Toth go off with her. I don't know who was downplaying the injury, but our crack medical staff appeared to evidence little concern. So little that Chelsea actually came back and played fairly effectively, although she appeared to have been slowed. I was particularly concerned that the Coach appeared to be unconcerned about an injury that, as it turns out, is career ending. I would like to think the Coach had more concern for the welfare of her players. But this was a game where our coach came dressing in the opponents colors. Guess I just don't understand much of anything anymore.
    Yep, let's bash Coach P again. Everything is her fault, and she is evil incarnate.

After playing for a little bit after going down (I didn't see what happened on the play) Chelsea signaled to the bench that she needed to come out, and went immediately under the stands near the opponent's locker room. The trainer went with her, and underneath (but still visible from my section) two other staff members met there as well. (I didn't recognize them; I'm not implying they were medical personnel.). She talked to the trainer and then went to the old locker room area. At some point, Dr. Toth talked to assistant coach Jackson during a timeout, who reported eventually to Coach P. Given what was said during the broadcast, i assume that she was told it was a thigh bruise. I also saw the trainer return to her medical kit, pull out what looked like tape, and returned to wherever Chelsea was being treated. (You pull out tape for minor injuries that you can play through, not for "career ending injuries.)

A few minutes later, she returned, walked past the bench and checked back in the game. She played a few minutes, clearly gimpy, and went off the court before half, assumably to the locker room.

As I reported in the game thread, she wasn't out right at the start of the second half, but came in quickly when Tricia picked up her third foul. She played well, and when the game was in hand, sat out the rest of the game. While on the bench, she had what looked like a big pillow on her leg, which we assumed was a heating pad, the kind of treatment you do for a thigh bruise.

Do you really think the doctors would have let her back in if they thought AT THE TIME it was what it was. They thought it was a minor injury, CHELSEA wanted to go back in the game! and Coach P, managing the game, heard from her medical staff that it was a minor injury that she, while gimpy, could play.

But from all of this, you conclude that Coach P has no concern for her players. Wow. I guess she's supposed to be a medical expert, and immediately know things that doctors and trainers didn't know.

(BTW, it's not a "career ending injury" it is a season ending injury that happens to coincide with the end of her eligibility to play at Duke. There's no indication that she won't be able to play in the WNBA or overseas after recovery and rehab.)

(The blouse wasn't quite dark enough to be BC maroon, but I agree it looked a bit odd, and wasn't very flattering. But of course, your conclusion was that she wore that because she doesn't care about her players. I guess you must have thought that the time when Coach K wore a yellow tie when we played Georgia Tech.)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Like everyone, my heart goes out to Chelsea, and my appreciation for everything she has done for Duke. But...she's not done yet. I loved watching her last year be the best cheerleader as well as player/coach on the sidelines after her injury, and I have no doubt she will fill that role amazingly well once again. Vibes to her for a full recovery and an excellent career in the WNBA.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Like everyone, my heart goes out to Chelsea, and my appreciation for everything she has done for Duke. But...she's not done yet. I loved watching her last year be the best cheerleader as well as player/coach on the sidelines after her injury, and I have no doubt she will fill that role amazingly well once again. Vibes to her for a full recovery and an excellent career in the WNBA.
    Amen, Brother CB&B!

I hope Chelsea makes a full recovery so she may continue her life plans. She will be missed on the court but I am sure she will contribute in many other ways to help the team continue to grow and have a great season. Good luck, Chelsea!

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    WADR, your criticism of the staff is way off the mark. In fact, it's self-refuting. If, as you say (and what you say is consistent with what I recall), the officials didn't stop play, then Chelsea was in fact removed from the game at the first opportunity, i.e., the next whistle.

It's commonplace for trainers to make the initial evaluation of in-game injuries, and to get a M.D. involved only if there is some preliminary indication of a more serious injury. As you note, that is exactly what happened. That initial evaluation concluded that she was able to return, and she played effectively after returning.

As far as I know, there is no diagnostic imaging suite at Cameron. Given that, the diagnostic imaging procedures that revealed that the injury was more serious than originally believed were done at the first available opportunity.

There has been plenty of spirited debate on this board over the years about Coach P's shortcomings as a coach. You've gone well beyond that, accusing her of failing to take adequate steps to protect the health of a player. In my view, no facts support that allegation, which makes it borderline defamatory.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was going to say something similar, but you put it so well. I broke a kneecap when I was young while playing fast-pitch softball in the Army. Way back in 1973 the surgery was probably primitive compared to what they can do today. Still, I was able to regain my prior form (despite only rudimentary rehab) and continue playing rec league softball and basketball for another 15 years before I "retired". I'd be surprised if she doesn't come back strong from this injury.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Yep, let's bash Coach P again. Everything is her fault, and she is evil incarnate.

After playing for a little bit after going down (I didn't see what happened on the play) Chelsea signaled to the bench that she needed to come out, and went immediately under the stands near the opponent's locker room. The trainer went with her, and underneath (but still visible from my section) two other staff members met there as well. (I didn't recognize them; I'm not implying they were medical personnel.). She talked to the trainer and then went to the old locker room area. At some point, Dr. Toth talked to assistant coach Jackson during a timeout, who reported eventually to Coach P. Given what was said during the broadcast, i assume that she was told it was a thigh bruise. I also saw the trainer return to her medical kit, pull out what looked like tape, and returned to wherever Chelsea was being treated. (You pull out tape for minor injuries that you can play through, not for "career ending injuries.)

A few minutes later, she returned, walked past the bench and checked back in the game. She played a few minutes, clearly gimpy, and went off the court before half, assumably to the locker room.

As I reported in the game thread, she wasn't out right at the start of the second half, but came in quickly when Tricia picked up her third foul. She played well, and when the game was in hand, sat out the rest of the game. While on the bench, she had what looked like a big pillow on her leg, which we assumed was a heating pad, the kind of treatment you do for a thigh bruise.

Do you really think the doctors would have let her back in if they thought AT THE TIME it was what it was. They thought it was a minor injury, CHELSEA wanted to go back in the game! and Coach P, managing the game, heard from her medical staff that it was a minor injury that she, while gimpy, could play.

But from all of this, you conclude that Coach P has no concern for her players. Wow. I guess she's supposed to be a medical expert, and immediately know things that doctors and trainers didn't know.

(BTW, it's not a "career ending injury" it is a season ending injury that happens to coincide with the end of her eligibility to play at Duke. There's no indication that she won't be able to play in the WNBA or overseas after recovery and rehab.)

(The blouse wasn't quite dark enough to be BC maroon, but I agree it looked a bit odd, and wasn't very flattering. But of course, your conclusion was that she wore that because she doesn't care about her players. I guess you must have thought that the time when Coach K wore a yellow tie when we played Georgia Tech.)
    Wow, you got to Defcon 5 in a hurry. My comment was directed to the moment Chelsea fell (tripped?) and got up obviously limping. From my perspective she was obviously hobbled. I have a daughter who had reconstructive knee surgery (performed by Alison Toth, for whom I have the utmost respect). P made no move to remove Chelsea at that particular point--no time out, nothing. When the substitutions did come, it appeared to me that Chelsea was only removed when Chelsea indicated he could not go.

I was as happy as anyone when Chelsea came back into the game. I expect the injury was one that was not detectible with the equipment at Cameron also. But I don't get where I consider McCallie to be "evil incarnate". That statement says much more about you than about me. As for the clothes, that got noticed by the (many) women who sit near me.

I think Chelsea is in for a long rehab. If this is the same knee that was injured last year, this is going to be difficult. Alison Toth is the best knee surgeon there is (personal experience). Chelsea is so competitive, it will be difficult for her as a person to take the necessary time. I expect no WNBA this year, and probably no Europe either. But the most important thing is for the knee to fully heal. I expect she can already predict the change in weather. She is very courageous. She will prevail.