Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Game of Thrones 2014 - no book spoilers, please!

Most cable providers are providing a free preview weekend of HBO, so tune in tonight--the trailer for Season 4 airs at 8:58 pm.

Having read the books, I am excited for the upcoming season!

Woof. Be still, my beating heart. And why does Jamie have two hands?

DON'T SPOIL IT, you reading bums!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Woof. Be still, my beating heart. And why does Jamie have two hands?

DON'T SPOIL IT, you reading bums!
    Pause the video at 0:55.

Its almost here

The Season 4 premiere earned the highest ratings for any HBO show since the finale of The Sopranos; its 6.6 million viewers represented a 50% increase over the Season 3 premiere (and does not include all the people who overwhelmed and crashed HBO GO). HBO has subsequently picked up Seasons 5 and 6.

The show itself was pretty good too.

I love it .my wife got a little disturbed by the ages of the characters in the books.i just told her watch the show discard any previous knowledge .enjoy it for what it is.she swears i watch it for shae and khaleesi .i really enjoy the acting of Peter dinklage .i do not believe the show would be the same with out him.

Now I remember why I hate watching one episode at a time. At the end of this episode, things were just starting to heat up when the show ended. Definitely caused me to mutter a few choice curse words.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I love it .my wife got a little disturbed by the ages of the characters in the books.i just told her watch the show discard any previous knowledge .enjoy it for what it is.she swears i watch it for shae and khaleesi .i really enjoy the acting of Peter dinklage .i do not believe the show would be the same with out him.
    Tyrion is definitely the best part of the whole show. How 'bout Arya in this one, huh? Wow.

Arya has always been one of the most interesting characters of this series, and the season premier took that to another level. I love her interactions with the Hound (who has, in his own right, become a steadily more interesting character). I can't wait to see how Arya continues to develop, and how she will channel her anger at all the wrongs which have been done to her and her family.

Tyrion (and Peter Dinklage) continues to amaze.

One of my great fascinations in watching the show is how all these players we are getting to like will factor in to the conclusion. My money is on Danaerys to eventually become Queen of Westeros, but where does that leave people like Jaime and Tyrion? Will Jon Snow continue to fight the upcoming battle on the Wall, or will he enter the fray to the south? What will Arya do to get the revenge she wants?

Good times. And I love that this show makes the otherwise crappy reality of Sunday night (that the weekend is coming to an end) something to look forward to.

PS: On the other hand, Sansa needs to do something a little more productive than laying around sulking. Get on it, girl.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Arya has always been one of the most interesting characters of this series, and the season premier took that to another level. I love her interactions with the Hound (who has, in his own right, become a steadily more interesting character). I can't wait to see how Arya continues to develop, and how she will channel her anger at all the wrongs which have been done to her and her family.

Tyrion (and Peter Dinklage) continues to amaze.

One of my great fascinations in watching the show is how all these players we are getting to like will factor in to the conclusion. My money is on Danaerys to eventually become Queen of Westeros, but where does that leave people like Jaime and Tyrion? Will Jon Snow continue to fight the upcoming battle on the Wall, or will he enter the fray to the south? What will Arya do to get the revenge she wants?

Good times. And I love that this show makes the otherwise crappy reality of Sunday night (that the weekend is coming to an end) something to look forward to.

PS: On the other hand, Sansa needs to do something a little more productive than laying around sulking. Get on it, girl.
    I'd love to see Tyrion on the throne, but based on where he is in the books right now, that would take some pretty awkward shoehorning.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Tyrion is definitely the best part of the whole show. How 'bout Arya in this one, huh? Wow.
    Tyrion is also one of the best characters in the books. Dinklage got a great role, and to his credit, he's knocking it out of the park.

I don't know where the books stand with regards to the show, but please be careful about inadvertent spoilers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-vs-watchers/

thanks,

-jk

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I don't know where the books stand with regards to the show, but please be careful about inadvertent spoilers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-vs-watchers/

thanks,

-jk
    Just to be clear, I personally cannot spoil anything in the series because the series has long gotten past where I quit reading.

How did everyone like the Red Viper's introduction?

(Red Viper = Oberyn Martell for you Unsullied)

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    How did everyone like the Red Viper's introduction?

(Red Viper = Oberyn Martell for you Unsullied)
    It was good, right up until the point where he basically advertised to Tyrion that he was in town to kill Tywin Lannister. Anyone who announces publicly that he's in the capital with a very small personal guard to kill the single most ruthless, powerful man in Westeros is either immune to swords and arrows, or brutally stupid. I find it hard to think Tywin could arrange some sort of accident to befall the second son of House Martell, particularly considering that he's about to make House Martell a royal family and he'd could safely assume the Martells would rather lose a second son than lose a second son, a first daughter, and a claim to the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    It was good, right up until the point where he basically advertised to Tyrion that he was in town to kill Tywin Lannister. Anyone who announces publicly that he's in the capital with a very small personal guard to kill the single most ruthless, powerful man in Westeros is either immune to swords and arrows, or brutally stupid. I find it hard to think Tywin could arrange some sort of accident to befall the second son of House Martell, particularly considering that he's about to make House Martell a royal family and he'd could safely assume the Martells would rather lose a second son than lose a second son, a first daughter, and a claim to the throne.
    If you are referring to the upcoming marriage of Margaery and Joffrey, that is House Tyrell, not House Martell. In a previous post, I summarized the differences between House Martell and House Tyrell using basic information that has already been covered in the show. I am not sure why, but apparently a mod deleted my post. Maybe the mod thought it contained spoilers? Or maybe it prompted a response that contained spoilers? Or maybe it was just a technical glitch rather than an intentional deletion. Either way, I will not cover all that info again in case there was something wrong with what I previously said, but I just think it is useful to keep all the characters and relationships straight by noting that Margaery is a Tyrell, not a Martell, and thus would not seem to be a source of leverage for Tywin to use against the Martells. Maybe I'm misreading the last part of your post, however, in which case I apologize for the tangent!

Anyway, I thought Oberyn's introduction was very good. In 10-12 minutes, he was able to convey some of his back story and give some insight into his personal motivations. He has charisma and really wears his emotions on his sleeve. I think he will end up stealing every scene his in and am looking forward to seeing more of him.

I am not yet sure about the new Daario Naharis, although part of that is likely due to the writing of his scenes. The sword-holding thing with Grey Worm was just silly (although it did tie into the title of the episode). The flower scene was awkward as well, considering his character has already been much more openly flirtatious towards Dany. Maybe the writers just wanted to give him some extra screen time due to the casting change in order to emphasize up front that this is the same character who carried in the heads of his fellow sellswords and pledged himself to Dany at the end of Season 3.

The last scene with Arya and the Hound was great from start to finish, IMO, and included some very funny lines from the Hound. The tavern portion felt very Tarantino-esque, with the tension-building conversation followed by the chaotic fight (sans soundtrack, until Arya sprung into action).

Overall, I felt it was a very good start to the season!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    So last night was fun, and now we get to debate who did the glorious deed. Suspects abound.

Not sure what the etiquette on spoilers are in this thread, so disclaimers:

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS ABOUT THE 4/13 EPISODE OF THE TV SHOW, BUT DOES NOT CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM THE BOOKS

Like many, have been waiting for a while Joffrey to meet his end, so that was awesome. Honestly was hoping for more of a comeuppance but killing him at a wedding was a nice homage to last season's wedding. Now as for the who-done-it, it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

The obvious choice would be Oberyn Martell - guys shows up one episode ago threatening revenge against the Lannisters and Joffrey gets poisoned soon thereafter. Seems too easy for me, so hoping for more twists and turns.

Beyond that, there are people who have motive but no means:
    - Sansa - definitely hates Joffrey (I mean everyone hates him but she hate hates him), and she touched the goblet, but she has been in such a depressed stupor that I can't see her planning this. Maybe working with someone else, but how would she know the goblet would roll her way?
    - Stannis - would have more claim to the throne with Joffrey gone, but he seems preoccupied with burning his relatives alive and don't think he could get anyone within 100 miles of King's Landing, much less the wedding.
    - Anyone from the North. Not sure who is now "King of the North" with Rob gone, but have a hard time seeing the remnants of his coalition getting organized enough to do it.
    - Dannyeris. Don't think she has the reach from across the sea to pull this off. Probably would have had a dragon eat him if she could.

Then there are those with means, but no motive:
    - Tyrells - they provided all the food and drink, and gave the goblet as a gift. However, if they were to kill him I would think they would wait until Marjorie had a baby boy so he would be king in waiting. As it is now, she will no longer be queen and they don't gain any power from this.

Then there is my dark horse pick - Tywin Lannister. He realizes that Joffrey is a sociopath, and as he gets older will be even harder to control. I think Joffrey has a little brother, so the little brother would be king in waiting until he is old enough, allowing Cerci to remain queen regent, and Tywin can still control Westeros and Hand of the King.

Anyway, great episode once again. Looking forward to the rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    So last night was fun, and now we get to debate who did the glorious deed. Suspects abound.
    I agree. DON'T READ BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE. I think we're good on here to talk about what's actually happened on the show, and I haven't read the books, but it'll still spoil the episode if you haven't seen it yet.

Pretty much everyone at that party had (for the world of GoT) plausible motive, including Tywin and Cersei. Tyrion's too obvious, and even if he had been planning something, once he'd been put front and center and made to be the goblet bearer, he's smart enough to know everyone would suspect him if he went through with it. So, I don't think it can be him. Cersei's one somewhat redeeming human characteristic is her love of her children, and she still seemed blind to just how depraved her little Caligula was, so I doubt it's her, either, despite it buying her another several years of Queen Regent status and denying the Tyrell's their connection to the throne. Tywin would find a better, more private way to have it done.

I think the three most likely are Olenna, Sansa, and Varys. Olenna knows what a monster Joffrey is and what's likely to be Margery's fate if the wedding goes through. She planned the festivities and so had opportunity to set up the logistics to her advantage.

Varys is Varys, has a lot of tools, and has mentioned numerous times his primary objective of "protecting the Realm." He's also keenly aware of what a long-reigning King Joffrey could do.

Sansa's motive is obvious, and she had Joffrey's cup in her hand at one point. The trouble there is whether or not she'd be capable of the planning and discreetly obtaining whatever the poison was. Maybe Sansa's just grown into her vengeance, but she's yet to take full agency for anything significant yet, or to show that level of cunning. Cue the jester randomly seeking her out and giving her a necklace last week, and getting her out of Dodge when it all goes down. That seems too suspicious to me. Is there someone else directing/using her? Olenna has shown a strong interest in her previously, as an ally and as a potential wife for Loras, and seemed quite interested in her necklace, as well. But there's also one other person out there who would have the wherewithal to pull this off and has a strong interest in Sansa. He hasn't appeared on screen this season, but that would be just his style now, wouldn't it? That's my dark horse.