Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke at Clemson - Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

The game is at Clemson at 2 pm this Saturday, January 11th. Looks like it will be broadcast on the "ACC Network", which means regional Fox Sports networks for most of us. It'll also be available on ESPN3.

Here's the list of RSN affiliates for the game: http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...1-07-14_5nq48q
    Last edited by JBDuke; 01-09-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: updated
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Tempo

Clemson's stats are interesting: 33 overall in Pomeroy, with the 7th best defense and the 143rd best offense. Add to that a tempo ranked 348 and you have the possibility of a game that will be less enjoyable than a trip to the dentist (apologies to any dentists here).

Interestingly, Clemson's stats are quite similar to Virginia's, our next opponent after Clemson.

Clemson is very good on defense, terrible on offense.

When they have the ball, we may well learn what happens when a resistible force meets a movable object.

Hopefully the message has sunk in with this team that no ACC road game can be taken for granted. Clemson is not great but they're not bad either, and they will have a fired-up crowd behind them. We will need to bring it in order to win. It would surely be nice for Jabari to return to form here - even a good defense can be cracked by an elite offensive player.

TV for Clemson Game

I know I usually start these threads with a link to a list of stations, but the ACC website is being uncharacteristically slow at posting this and I thought it might be a good idea to give people a heads up since I believe this is our first conference game to ever fall down this far in the TV selection order. I would hope the list is made available tomorrow morning (along with the one for the next Women's game).

Until then, check your local listings to see if your regional sports network is carrying the game. The cable syndication package seems to add more and more regions every season, so you may get the game even if you are outside of ACC territory.

ESPN did post their blackout map today:

If you live in the area shaded black, your only option for viewing the game is your regional sports network. That is bad news for the cord-cutters in the area (assuming they don't have a provider-unapproved method). If you live in the area shaded in green, you can watch on your regional sports network if it is carrying the game or on ESPN FullCourt or ESPN3. Some providers are in the middle of a free trial for FullCourt to coincide with the start of the conference season, so that may be an option for people outside of the ACC footprint.

I hate to jinx this, but I found 5-6 cable stations listed as carrying the game, including YES in the Northeast, Comcast Sports Net, the RSN alternate stations, and quite a few others. We'll see what's available and what's blocked here in the Rocky Mountains.

For example, tonight's FSU-Clemson game was listed on YES but blocked here in CO. I found the same telecast on a Fox West Coast network. DirecTV actually scans the other channels to find a game, if blocked on one channel. I hate to say anything good about DirecTV, so keep this a secret.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Clemson lost at home tonight 56-41 to FSU

It's probably a given that they're going to play better when Duke's the opponent, but we really should beat this team regardless and also defend them well, even on the road. Clemson doesn't have much time to prepare, and they're pretty bad offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I hate to jinx this, but I found 5-6 cable stations listed as carrying the game, including YES in the Northeast, Comcast Sports Net, the RSN alternate stations, and quite a few others. We'll see what's available and what's blocked here in the Rocky Mountains.

For example, tonight's FSU-Clemson game was listed on YES but blocked here in CO. I found the same telecast on a Fox West Coast network. DirecTV actually scans the other channels to find a game, if blocked on one channel. I hate to say anything good about DirecTV, so keep this a secret.
    YES (the Yankee station) picks up a lot of college bball including many ACC games not on ESPN. They need things to broadcast (other than old Yankee games and homages to old Yankee heroes) during the baseball offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

It's probably a given that they're going to play better when Duke's the opponent, but we really should beat this team regardless and also defend them well, even on the road. Clemson doesn't have much time to prepare, and they're pretty bad offensively.
    I thought the college football season was over Monday night...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Yeah, saw some of that game tonight....uggggllyyyy

If Clemson goes up to Chapel Hill later this month, plays offense like they did today, and the Heels play like they did last night, it could resemble some of the worst basketball we see from B1G teams (though if Clemson can break through in Chapel Hill, it will be wonderful)

And, yes, I expect Clemson to play hard vs Duke and play better than they did tonight.

By the way, any sign of Klemnop?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

You should be able to see it on ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain on Saturday, but yes, some out of market games are in the clear on DirecTV sportspack. I have never figured out whether it is intentional or not, so we should keep it a secret.

I totally forgot about the schedule trick to find the game and was waiting for them to post a news article. Now I remember again and this will serve as my once a season complaint about the ACC website, at least until they constantly delay the posting of the spring sports schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    YES (the Yankee station) picks up a lot of college bball including many ACC games not on ESPN. They need things to broadcast (other than old Yankee games and homages to old Yankee heroes) during the baseball offseason
    YES and MSG added the ACC package this season, probably due to the addition of Syracuse. They are splitting the games based on which one has free space. The additions of Notre Dame and Pitt have added FS Indiana and ROOT Sports to the mix too.

YES actually has the Nets games too with our own Jim Spanarkel doing the color commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    If you live in the area shaded black, your only option for viewing the game is your regional sports network. That is bad news for the cord-cutters in the area...
    Yes it is bad news. But according to our local listings we will be treated to LSU @ South Carolina in that time slot on NBC 17. That should be riveting entertainment right? Isn't that Clowney kid supposed to be good?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Hopefully the message has sunk in with this team that no ACC road game can be taken for granted. Clemson is not great but they're not bad either, and they will have a fired-up crowd behind them. We will need to bring it in order to win.
    And yet, I'm sure we'll have some "experts" predicting a 20-point victory. (Which may very well end up being the case, although a loss would seem just as likely as a blowout win)

My expectation is a low scoring game, in the 50s or low 60s. Ball movement is key, two or three passes should create open looks. For Clemson, K.J. McDaniels is an exciting player with excellent hops, to go all cliche, he can jump out of the gym and leads his team in scoring and rebounding.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    And yet, I'm sure we'll have some "experts" predicting a 20-point victory. (Which may very well end up being the case, although a loss would seem just as likely as a blowout win)
    Not me. I'm expecting the Tigers to shoot the best they have all year and a player that averages 4 ppg will get 20. Bad shots will bounce almost to the ceiling and swish through the nets on the way down. At least that's how it looks sometimes when we play an average to bad team on the road. Not to mention, "home cooking" by the refs. But, I still expect Duke to win in a close game. GoDuke!

I predict that Jabari will bounce back and dominate in LittleJohn. He's due.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    My expectation is a low scoring game, in the 50s or low 60s. Ball movement is key, two or three passes should create open looks. For Clemson, K.J. McDaniels is an exciting player with excellent hops, to go all cliche, he can jump out of the gym and leads his team in scoring and rebounding.
    Looking forward to Rodney's matchup with McDaniels. It will mostly occur at the 3 but could sometimes occur at the 4 as well. In any case, if Hood plays better than McDaniels, will be tough for Clemson to win.

Looking forward to Rodney's matchup with McDaniels. It will mostly occur at the 3 but could sometimes occur at the 4 as well. In any case, if Hood plays better than McDaniels, will be tough for Clemson to win.
    Good news is that McDaniels is not a good 3pt shooter. Bad news is that he's really good at the rim. It may make more sense for Sulaimon to get on McDaniels than Hood, who is currently a defensive liability. Also, we could see the return of Tyler in this game if neither Hood nor Sulaimon gets it done (or Coach K goes right to Tyler). Either or, I like our options for containing McDaniels.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Either or, I like our options for containing McDaniels.
    In last year's 68-40 win over Clemson, K.J. McDaniels was limited to six points and five rebounds:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=20130108

Of course, this season he is option #1.
    Bob Green

Predict

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    I predict that Jabari will bounce back and dominate in LittleJohn. He's due.
    I predict Marshall converts his first FT