Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2013 College Football Coaching Carousel

Mack Brown stepping down at Texas.

The highest-paid public employees in a few states are going to get even richer pretty soon.

Will be interesting hearing how many big, splashy names get tossed around, but all declining to take the job. Saban already said no. Fisher likely won't bolt.

Do we all get to witness how the Texas football coaching job is one of the more overrated positions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Will be interesting hearing how many big, splashy names get tossed around, but all declining to take the job. Saban already said no. Fisher likely won't bolt.

Do we all get to witness how the Texas football coaching job is one of the more overrated positions out there?
    Nah, I'm sure Texas Athletic Director Oliver Luck can get a big name.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Perhaps, but it won't be one of their top few choices...

When God needs a loan, he goes to Texas boosters to ask for it.

This isn't like NCState looking for a new basketball coach a few years ago. They'll find a good name with a price I suspect.

Perhaps, but it won't be one of their top few choices...
    So long as it's not Cut. We can't compete on money. I hope the intangibles are enough.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    So long as it's not Cut. We can't compete on money. I hope the intangibles are enough.

-jk
    Maybe Larry can trade in his fedora for one of these:

220px-Stetson_cowboy_hat_1920s_renovated.jpg

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Maybe Larry can trade in his fedora for one of these:

220px-Stetson_cowboy_hat_1920s_renovated.jpg

No, I'd prefer he sticks around. A bad coach with a short fuse? Perfect for UNC!

It was a crazy week in Austin. High drama and a lot of folks believe Mack purposely delayed the resignation to hinder UTs shot at Saban and embarrass those reporters that leaked the news. I think Occam's Razor would say that today was always the day, and Saban's only use for UT was to negotiate another raise.

There was another leak outside of the Texas network that Jim Harbaugh is interested in UT, and that he may have a bit of a Larry Brown penchant for moving on to the next thing every 3-5 years. I think that's a longer shot than Saban.

So, if you take away the guys that just signed renewals - Saban, Malzahn, Briles, Mora, Jr... I think that leaves guys like Charlie Strong, Gary Anderson, and even Mike Gundy. Perhaps Franklin at Vandy will get a look too. Also some NFL coordinators will probably be looked at. If the coach isn't hired in the next 7 days, an NFL guy is a real possibility.

A lot of folks are going to say "be careful what you wish for," with respect to Mack's ouster, pointing to Tennessee and Michigan, for instance. And I concede that UT's coach is going to have a hard time coming close to what Mack accomplished in his 16 years. That said, I have zero confidence that Mack will do any better in the next 4 than whoever it is Texas ultimately hires, and that there are many, many coaches that are better suited to run the UT program going forward. Mack was outstanding in the aughts. But whatever he had, he's lost it. He was given a chance to rebuild after recruiting complacency led to 2010 and pointed to this year as conference championship or bust. Well...
    Last edited by A-Tex Devil; 12-14-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    If this is a shot at Texas not being able to land Luck, it's pretty well established that it was Luck's job to lose and Patterson stole it from him with a better interview and plan for the athletic dept. I'm from Missouri on whether it was ultimately the right call, but Luck interviewed for the job and was passed over for Patterson.

-jk
    I'd be stunned if that was the way Texas ended up going. But where a month ago, I wouldn't think Texas would even give him a look, you kinda have to now, right? You aren't doing your job as an athletic director if you don't take a look at what Cut has accomplished at Duke and see if he'd be a fit.

Duvall, thanks for starting the thread. I've been meaning to, every time I see the big table of open jobs on ESPN, but life intercedes and I forget.

So Texas isn't happy with running four research universities out of their conference. That's not enough. Four whole research universities. No.

Now they've dispensed with their own championship-winning coach, who probably will be in the HOF (if you look at his career record--244 wins, a championship and a runner-up). It's breathtaking, it really is.

I'm really interested in what happens at Boise State. Remember last time around, Hawkins went to CU after a lot of success there, and people were like, oh, so much for Boise. And the Petersen did what he did. I don't know much about this Harsin dude. That is to say, I read his Wiki article, and he's a few weeks younger than I am, and he went 7-5 at Arkansas State, and he was an asst on successful Boise teams, but who knows?

Here's the carousel table, as of the Brown offer he couldn't refuse, I mean, resignation. Interim head coaches aren't doing very well when it comes HR time.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/c...g_changes.html

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

-jk
    I would say that the chances are absolutely zero that we lose cut to Texas. Remember, probably the number one reason for Cut considering coming to Duke was stress relief due to his health. He already turned down a lower stress job than coaching at Texas already, so it ain't the money, prestige, etc. We don't lose our great coach to no stinkin' Texas.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Duvall, thanks for starting the thread. I've been meaning to, every time I see the big table of open jobs on ESPN, but life intercedes and I forget.

So Texas isn't happy with running four research universities out of their conference. That's not enough. Four whole research universities. No.

Now they've dispensed with their own championship-winning coach, who probably will be in the HOF (if you look at his career record--244 wins, a championship and a runner-up). It's breathtaking, it really is.

I'm really interested in what happens at Boise State. Remember last time around, Hawkins went to CU after a lot of success there, and people were like, oh, so much for Boise. And the Petersen did what he did. I don't know much about this Harsin dude. That is to say, I read his Wiki article, and he's a few weeks younger than I am, and he went 7-5 at Arkansas State, and he was an asst on successful Boise teams, but who knows?

Here's the carousel table, as of the Brown offer he couldn't refuse, I mean, resignation. Interim head coaches aren't doing very well when it comes HR time.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/c...g_changes.html
    image.jpg

... Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Does Jim Tressel have a NCAA ban? And if not, would Texas consider him?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    image.jpg

What does this even mean?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Does Jim Tressel have a NCAA ban? And if not, would Texas consider him?
    Tressel's show cause goes though the end of 2016. And say what you want about Mack, but he ran a clean program from an NCAA perspective. And Texas as an Ath Dept and university are wary of folks with less than stellar compliance backgrounds. You can probably count Petrino out for similar reasons.

I am reading that the UT search is going to take a while. I imagine perfunctory calls will be placed to a number of candidates that folks here would see as unrealistic, but you aren't doing your job if you don't kick the tires on everyone.

More generally, I think Petrino may get a gig somewhere bigger gig this year when everything shakes out. The dude can coach.

If this is a shot at Texas not being able to land Luck, it's pretty well established that it was Luck's job to lose and Patterson stole it from him with a better interview and plan for the athletic dept. I'm from Missouri on whether it was ultimately the right call, but Luck interviewed for the job and was passed over for Patterson.
    Nah, just a reminder of the unreliable nature of Internet chatter. Names get thrown around that have nothing to do with the final result.

image.jpg

Sorry, friend, but Texas is officially Aggie country.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    Sorry, friend, but Texas is officially Aggie country.
    East Texas and the Golden Triangle maybe. .

I can't wait for the Peach Bowl. Duke is getting no love in the confidence polls I've seen, and we will have a hell of a time making defensive stops. But go back through the history of bowl games, and favored teams with disappointing seasons tend to get shocked by talented well coach underdogs.

Either way, it's no lose for Duke. I hope Cut brings out all the stops, because the Aggie D is bad.

Back to the carousel - add Jimbo Fisher to the list of guys that got extensions. With Harsin taking Boise, there don't appear to be a ton of openings like there were last year. Although the Texas position could create a small ripple effect. The pros could too.