Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Oolong!!!

-JE
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I can sort of understand this I guess, he did play a very large portion of his career in Chicago, and was a legitimate star by the time he left (though obviously not the supernova he became in Atlanta), but this still seems weird.

The cap on Greg Maddux's Hall of Fame plaque won't have a logo on it when Maddux is inducted in July, and the part-time member of the Texas Rangers' coaching staff says he's "good with it."

Maddux said he just "couldn't pick" between a Chicago Cubs or Atlanta Braves logo. Maddux said he felt good about the decision because he spent so much time in Chicago and Atlanta. "I spent half my career in Chicago and half my career in Atlanta,” Maddux said Thursday after working with some of the Rangers’ prospects at a winter camp. “I came up a Cub. I played there for six years (and) went back for six more. I was in Atlanta for 11 years. So it comes out to about the same amount of time in both cities. I love both places.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas...all-plaque-cap
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Maddux

Maddux in Chicago -- 10 seasons 133-112, 3.61 ERA ... one Cy Young, two all-star games

Maddux in Atlanta -- 11 seasons 194-112, 2.63 ERA ... three Cy Youngs, seven all-star games

Maddux also had a 28-27 record in his last three years with the Dodgers and Padres with a much higher ERA.

I'm disappointed that he's not going in with a Braves' hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Maddux in Chicago -- 10 seasons 133-112, 3.61 ERA ... one Cy Young, two all-star games

Maddux in Atlanta -- 11 seasons 194-112, 2.63 ERA ... three Cy Youngs, seven all-star games

Maddux also had a 28-27 record in his last three years with the Dodgers and Padres with a much higher ERA.

I'm disappointed that he's not going in with a Braves' hat.
    I am too. It is worth noting that he appeared in exactly one playoff series for Chicago (they lost and he pitched terrible) while appearing in 18 playoff series for the Braves. Part of his legacy is his impact on a team that was consistently at the top of the standings and challenging to win the World Series. That happened darn near every single season in Atlanta... and pretty much never in Chicago.

-Jason "at a bare minimum, I wish they would do a split hat that had half an A and half a C on it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Maddux hat

Interesting piece on ESPN about the Maddux hat issue.

Writer David Schoenfield points out that this isn't the first hat debate.

Dave Winfield went in with the Padres, even though he played more games with the Yankees (a slap at Stioenbrenner?). Catfish Hunter, who played longest and best with the A's, went in with no logo (a slap at Charlie Finley?). Reggie Jackson also elected to pass on the A's and go in wearing a Yankees' hat. Carlton Fisk went in with a Red Sox hat, even though he spent the majority of his career with the White Sox.

The biggest controversy was Hank Aaron. Hammerin' Hank played 12 seasons with the Milwaukee Braves and just nine seasons with the Atlanta Braves ... plus two seasons in Milwaukee with the Brewers. Yet, he elected to go in with at Atlanta hat.

Well, I guess the biggest controversy was Wade Boggs ... who offered to wear a Tampa Bay hat on his plaque in return for a monetary return. I thought after that happened, the Hall took the choice out of the hands of the players ... but I guess not.

PS ESPN has a poll up asking what hat Maddux should wear in the Hall -- the current talley (when I looked) was 68 percent for the Braves, 8 percent for the Cubs and 13 percent for no logo.

Well, I guess the biggest controversy was Wade Boggs ... who offered to wear a Tampa Bay hat on his plaque in return for a monetary return. I thought after that happened, the Hall took the choice out of the hands of the players ... but I guess not.
    They did, but only to the extent the player wants something they consider unreasonable. If Maddux had wanted a Padres hat, I'm sure they would have said no.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Interesting piece on ESPN about the Maddux hat issue.

Writer David Schoenfield points out that this isn't the first hat debate.

Dave Winfield went in with the Padres, even though he played more games with the Yankees (a slap at Stioenbrenner?). Catfish Hunter, who played longest and best with the A's, went in with no logo (a slap at Charlie Finley?). Reggie Jackson also elected to pass on the A's and go in wearing a Yankees' hat. Carlton Fisk went in with a Red Sox hat, even though he spent the majority of his career with the White Sox.

The biggest controversy was Hank Aaron. Hammerin' Hank played 12 seasons with the Milwaukee Braves and just nine seasons with the Atlanta Braves ... plus two seasons in Milwaukee with the Brewers. Yet, he elected to go in with at Atlanta hat.

PS ESPN has a poll up asking what hat Maddux should wear in the Hall -- the current talley (when I looked) was 68 percent for the Braves, 8 percent for the Cubs and 13 percent for no logo.
    Think Glavine will ask for his Mets cap?

Same deal is happening over here--TLR is going in blank-hatted.

(A wise-cracking caller to WXOS* this afternoon opined that TLR should go in with a picture of Dave Duncan on his cap, because he wouldn't have been TLR without his pitching coach. I don't know whether it's funny because it's funny, or whether it's funny because it's half true. If it's half true, Cox needs a passport photo of Leo Mazzone on his noggin).

DeWitt has publicly expressed disappointment. I could see it either way. TLR did win a WS in Oakland.

If I were me in 2000, I'd be hoppin mad that Maddux won't have an A on his forehead. But I'm me now. And what's important to me now is that Madd[b]u[/x] and Glavine go in together. Cox, TLR, and Torre make a nice set too. Collect all three, like Peanuts McD glasses in 1982. Just wish Biggio were there to pair up with Frank Thomas.

I love Smoltz, but when I head to Cooperstown this July, realistically, I have to think it's my only trip ever. I've seen Maddux with an A on his head and TLR with an StL on his head often enough to see them that way in my mind's eye.

* Yes, we do have W--- call letters here. East Saint Louis IL isn't far from here, and they have some room to put radio towers.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    * Yes, we do have W--- call letters here. East Saint Louis IL isn't far from here, and they have some room to put radio towers.
    The assignment of call letters has a fairly confused history with many exceptions to the rules. We have WOAI here in San Antonio. Waco, TX has the more interesting WACO.