Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Gee, if only there was a way to watch ACC basketball without actually being in the house.

Actually, this is an interesting point. Even if one never left his/her home state, people used to have a chance to see out-of-state teams in person on a regular basis.

But that is no longer the case. A team might go an entire season without visiting the Triangle.

Eventually, you just have to trust the integrity and competence of the voters. The folks I know take their responsibilities seriously.

As an aside, the most controversial voting in ACC history worked against a UNC star. I'm referring of course to John Roche twice edging Charlie Scott for ACC POY, amidst charges of racism.

As an aside, part two, a Big Four player once won all the major NATIONAL POY awards, while losing the ACC POY race to a non-Big Four player. Which argues against an NC bias. Of course, that was back in the days of the double round-robin.

If you don't want to test your memory bank, I'm referring to Jason Williams and Juan Dixon, in 2002. In 1986 Johnny Dawkins won one of the NPOY awards, while Len Bias was ACC POY.

Back to the weekly awards. They are not decided by the full voting membership but rather a smaller, select panel, chosen because of their diligence and expertise. It's a secret society. Special decoder ring and all.

Or so I'm told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    And yet, in the very first voting containing most of those teams, a Syracuse player was voted pre-season ACC POY.
    True, indeed, Kedsy.

Jim, while all games are on TV, a NC reporter will tune in Wake-Oregon, say, before Boston College-Oregon. This is because of the readership's and listeners' interests, as well as her own.

sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Great, let's fire all the voters! And send those UNC-trained headline writers back to hell! First, I should mention Jabari Parker was named co-Player of the Week back on November 18.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...1-18-13_63otb4

But hey, don't let a little fact-checking get in the way of your righteous anger.
    But hey I looked, guess I did not go back far enough.