Cutcliffe in the NY Times Crossword?

Did anyone else work the NY Times Sunday crossword today (Dec. 15)? The title is "A Cut above the Rest." And the solution emphasizes the letters C-U-T. I wondered if it was a hidden tribute to David Cutcliffe. Get it? "A Cut above the Rest." Hmmmmm...

The author is Jeff Chen (the editor of the puzzles is Will Shortz). Is Jeff or Will (more likely Jeff) putting in a puzzle that praises Coach Cutcliffe? (The letters C, U, and T are a big deal in the solution!) Well, there is at least one Jeff Chen at Duke. He appears to be an undergrad, but then a lot of the puzzle authors are young. Any clues, fellow posters?

sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Did anyone else work the NY Times Sunday crossword today (Dec. 15)? The title is "A Cut above the Rest." And the solution emphasizes the letters C-U-T. I wondered if it was a hidden tribute to David Cutcliffe. Get it? "A Cut above the Rest." Hmmmmm...

The author is Jeff Chen (the editor of the puzzles is Will Shortz). Is Jeff or Will (more likely Jeff) putting in a puzzle that praises Coach Cutcliffe? (The letters C, U, and T are a big deal in the solution!) Well, there is at least one Jeff Chen at Duke. He appears to be an undergrad, but then a lot of the puzzle authors are young. Any clues, fellow posters?

sage
    Been following Will Shortz since he was at Games magazine. Indiana grad, Virginia law school grad. So sports are far from unknown to him I would think.

Was it a nine letter word? Seems like a long one. And outside of Durham, I think that clue would draw a blank.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Been following Will Shortz since he was at Games magazine. Indiana grad, Virginia law school grad. So sports are far from unknown to him I would think.

Was it a nine letter word? Seems like a long one. And outside of Durham, I think that clue would draw a blank.
    Nope. I'll put the answer in white ink below, to avoid spoiling it (just highlight it with your cursor to read it). It deals with C-U-T, not the full name.

There is a pattern of C's forming a C; another of U's forming a U; and one of T's making a T.

sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Well, it ain't "Saban" so let's call it for David!

Wow sage, you are one smart guy. I like to wave my pen at the crosswords and then move on to the Galanes social etiquette column and brunch.