NAIA "allows" player to keep prize money

A player for Southwestern College hit a half-court shot at an OKC Thunder game and won $20,000. NAIA originally said he would forfeit his amateur status if he kept the money. The college appealed, and all parties agreed he could keep the money as a scholarship. I guess that's better than not getting to keep the money at all. I wonder what the NCAA would have done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...lf-court-shot/

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    A player for Southwestern College hit a half-court shot at an OKC Thunder game and won $20,000. NAIA originally said he would forfeit his amateur status if he kept the money. The college appealed, and all parties agreed he could keep the money as a scholarship. I guess that's better than not getting to keep the money at all. I wonder what the NCAA would have done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...lf-court-shot/
    Easy. They would suspend the player until a formal decision. This formal decision would take 7 months, after which the player missed the entire season. The NCAA would comment that the player is suspended for another year because he wore his university-issued basketball shoes to the OKC game. Furthermore, they strip the school of 3 scholarships for supplying the remainder of the players with 2.4% more Gatorade than legally allowed.

Meanwhile, a film crew catches Calipari giving Karl Towns $100,000 in cash and courtside tickets to the Knicks. The NCAA comments that UK did nothing wrong because UK provided the money and tickets in an official NCAA-labeled envelope.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

The hypothetical NCAA is the worst, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    I wonder what the NCAA would have done.
    Pretty cut and dry, actually - there's a specific rule that says if an NCAA athlete wins a prize in a contest where the athlete was chosen at random, it's fine.

Oh yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Pretty cut and dry, actually - there's a specific rule that says if an NCAA athlete wins a prize in a contest where the athlete was chosen at random, it's fine.
    ...good ol' 12.5.2.3.3:

Promotional Contests. Receipt of a prize for winning an institutional or noninstitutional promotional activity (e.g., making a half-court basketball shot, being involved in a money scramble) by a prospective or enrolled student-athlete (or a member of his or her family) does not affect his or her eligibility, provided the prize is won through a random drawing in which all members of the general public or the student body are eligible to participate.