Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 232
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    The Georgia Dome is walkable from the MARTA, so any hotel near a MARTA stop means you can leave your car keys back at the hotel!!
    well, if you're taking marta, whether you leave your keys at the hotel or not, they won't be in your pocket when you return to the hotel! :P
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    well, if you're taking marta, whether you leave your keys at the hotel or not, they won't be in your pocket when you return to the hotel! :P
    I don't find this amusing in the least. I'm really tired of the attitudes that people have about public transit.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I don't find this amusing in the least. I'm really tired of the attitudes that people have about public transit.
    wasn't about public transit in general, just a joke about the perceived safety of the marta, which has a rather sketchy (though perhaps unfounded) rap...wikipedia (obviously the most reliable source) has this to say:

    According to Federal Transit Administration records, MARTA's crime statistics are in line with those of similar-sized systems, such as Bay Area Rapid Transit in the San Francisco Bay area.[68] However, high-profile crimes on or near MARTA have created the impression with some that MARTA is unsafe and lacks a strong police presence
    further, perceived crime has somewhat stalled the expansion of marta
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    wasn't about public transit in general, just a joke about the perceived safety of the marta, which has a rather sketchy (though perhaps unfounded) rap...wikipedia (obviously the most reliable source) has this to say:



    further, perceived crime has somewhat stalled the expansion of marta
    MARTA is very safe when there is a major event. The volume of people and security involved is much different than the day to day situation. That being said, on regular days I was never uncomfortable riding MARTA trains.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    further, perceived crime has somewhat stalled the expansion of marta
    "Perceived crime" has been responsible for a lot of dumb decisions over the years. We can do better.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    I'd say more, but I won't so as not to take this PPB. But the attitudes are pretty reflective of PPB-related attitude problems.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    well, if you're taking marta, whether you leave your keys at the hotel or not, they won't be in your pocket when you return to the hotel! :P
    Lifelong ATLien. ITPer. Been riding MARTA all my life. No issues yet.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    I unfortunately won't be able to attend the game, but I have been to the Peach Bowl about 8 times over the years. It is a really well-done event and it's always a fun game. I highly recommend it for anyone.
    I would also second the recommendations for MARTA. The stop is essentially connected to the Georgia Dome and you don't need to know anything or even be exposed to the elements to get from one to the other. If you can't do a hotel right near the Dome, try some of the ones in the Lenox Square Mall area, which is a lively place with shopping and restaurants, and there is a MARTA stop there.
    As for the Dome itself, I have sat literally all the way on the last row and still had a good view of the game and enjoyed myself. It's pretty hard to do too badly with football seats there.
    Atlanta also has lots to offer in the way of museums and other stuff to do, so you could very easily make a fun little vacation out of the whole thing. I'll offer a few more thoughts on that soon if anyone is interested.

  9. #29
    A&M has a terrible D. if we can control the ball and score, we should do OK.

    proud of this team.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    A&M has a terrible D. if we can control the ball and score, we should do OK.

    proud of this team.
    I too am proud of this team. But now we must win the "time of possession" statistic? We may be doomed.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I unfortunately won't be able to attend the game, but I have been to the Peach Bowl about 8 times over the years. It is a really well-done event and it's always a fun game. I highly recommend it for anyone.
    I would also second the recommendations for MARTA. The stop is essentially connected to the Georgia Dome and you don't need to know anything or even be exposed to the elements to get from one to the other. If you can't do a hotel right near the Dome, try some of the ones in the Lenox Square Mall area, which is a lively place with shopping and restaurants, and there is a MARTA stop there.
    As for the Dome itself, I have sat literally all the way on the last row and still had a good view of the game and enjoyed myself. It's pretty hard to do too badly with football seats there.
    Atlanta also has lots to offer in the way of museums and other stuff to do, so you could very easily make a fun little vacation out of the whole thing. I'll offer a few more thoughts on that soon if anyone is interested.
    Whew, after reading this, I'll guess you'll approve of our hotel choice in the Lenox Square area. Check your PM, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pikeville, NC

    Dunwoody/Perimeter & Marta

    We will be there. We also were upgraded to lower level endzone. I've been to Atlanta many times and have always used the Marta without any issues. I made reservations at the Holiday Inn Atlanta - Perimeter/Dunwoody. There are several other hotels in this area as well with a Marta station at Perimeter Mall. We stayed here for the Kentucky-Duke game last November and had no issues with Marta there and back. I agree that security is probably better with large events like this, but we have used it for general vacations and have never felt unsafe.

    It should be a great game. I'm excited!

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Is the term "upgraded to lower level end zone" ironic? I can't imagine a worse place to sit...upper end zone would be far better IMO...

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    The good news is that Duke will be playing a team with a player hated on the same level as Laettner. So people outside of College Station will be cheering for Duke.

    Bad news is that Manziel is pretty good... hoping for shootout here, because I don't think Duke's defense stops Manziel.

  15. #35
    alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham-- 2 miles from Cameron, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    The good news is that Duke will be playing a team with a player hated on the same level as Laettner. So people outside of College Station will be cheering for Duke.

    Bad news is that Manziel is pretty good... hoping for shootout here, because I don't think Duke's defense stops Manziel.
    We've been a little lucky in some of our games in that solid quarterbacks have missed open targets.

    On the other hand, our secondary has improved a LOT over the season. We've got guys capable of making plays. And our pass rush has gone from awful to somewhere close to "decent."

    Color me cautiously optimistic.

    How are the Aggies versus the run? If they struggle there at all that could make for a very long day for them.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    We've been a little lucky in some of our games in that solid quarterbacks have missed open targets.

    On the other hand, our secondary has improved a LOT over the season. We've got guys capable of making plays. And our pass rush has gone from awful to somewhere close to "decent."

    Color me cautiously optimistic.

    How are the Aggies versus the run? If they struggle there at all that could make for a very long day for them.
    Yea, but Duke hasn't faced a QB this season as good as Manziel other than Winston. I think Manziel does what Marquise Williams did to Duke, but x2...

    Gotta outscore them.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    We need to be able to run the ball, particularly on first down. Life is good when you play from second and five, as opposed to second and nine.

    I think that is really the key; both teams should be able to score and I like the playmakers we have on D. Especially at crunch time.


    Edit to add, from a Scout article that may or may not be accurate and is not through their last game:

    "Through 10 games A&M owns the SEC’s worst total defense, conceding 454.4 yards per game, a full 20.0 yards per game worse than the next team in line (Tennessee). The Aggies rank 13th in the conference in rush defense (210.7 ypg), 12th in pass defense (243.7 ypg) and have given up 230 first downs, the most in the SEC.

    "Making matters worse: In part because of how quickly the Aggies’ offense can score, the defense has been on the field for an eternity this fall. At an average of 27 minutes, 26 seconds, Texas A&M ranks last in the league in time of possession.

    "Schematically A&M vacillates between a base 4-3 set and a 4-2-5 look"

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville

    Johnny Football

    Containment, containment, containment. This guy can run out of all kinds of trouble. No other quarterback like him right now.

    ricks
    Last edited by ricks68; 12-09-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: don't even know my own handle.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    We need to be able to run the ball, particularly on first down. Life is good when you play from second and five, as opposed to second and nine.

    I think that is really the key; both teams should be able to score and I like the playmakers we have on D. Especially at crunch time.


    Edit to add, from a Scout article that may or may not be accurate and is not through their last game:

    "Through 10 games A&M owns the SEC’s worst total defense, conceding 454.4 yards per game, a full 20.0 yards per game worse than the next team in line (Tennessee). The Aggies rank 13th in the conference in rush defense (210.7 ypg), 12th in pass defense (243.7 ypg) and have given up 230 first downs, the most in the SEC.

    "Making matters worse: In part because of how quickly the Aggies’ offense can score, the defense has been on the field for an eternity this fall. At an average of 27 minutes, 26 seconds, Texas A&M ranks last in the league in time of possession.

    "Schematically A&M vacillates between a base 4-3 set and a 4-2-5 look"
    The problem with handicapping A&M's defense is that they have played some offensive firepowers.

    Alabama - 35th in total yards
    Mizzou - 16th in total yards
    LSU (prior to Mettenberger's injury) - 25th in total yards
    Auburn - 11th in total yards
    Mississippi St - 47th in total yards
    Ole Miss - 21st in total yards

    The only real red flag against A&M was Arkansas, who is pretty bad all around, but does have a mobile QB.

    In contrast, none of Duke's opponents were in the top 20 of total offense other than FSU (and we see how that went). The closest was Miami, who was 38th. Duke gave up 30 pts and 565 yards.

    A&M has the 4th ranked offense by total yards in the nation and a worse defense than Miami. The key will be if Duke can force Manziel to turn the ball over, which he has been more likely to do this season than in previous years. But I wouldn't really put much stock in how bad A&M's defense supposedly is; a lot of team defenses would have been lit up in the SEC this year.

    Winning this game would be HUGE for Duke football; probably the biggest win of the Cutcliffe era. Taking out a top-tier SEC team with a Heisman QB would be a signature win.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    The problem with handicapping A&M's defense is that they have played some offensive firepowers.

    Alabama - 35th in total yards
    Mizzou - 16th in total yards
    LSU (prior to Mettenberger's injury) - 25th in total yards
    Auburn - 11th in total yards
    Mississippi St - 47th in total yards
    Ole Miss - 21st in total yards

    The only real red flag against A&M was Arkansas, who is pretty bad all around, but does have a mobile QB.

    In contrast, none of Duke's opponents were in the top 20 of total offense other than FSU (and we see how that went). The closest was Miami, who was 38th. Duke gave up 30 pts and 565 yards.

    A&M has the 4th ranked offense by total yards in the nation and a worse defense than Miami. The key will be if Duke can force Manziel to turn the ball over, which he has been more likely to do this season than in previous years. But I wouldn't really put much stock in how bad A&M's defense supposedly is; a lot of team defenses would have been lit up in the SEC this year.

    Winning this game would be HUGE for Duke football; probably the biggest win of the Cutcliffe era. Taking out a top-tier SEC team with a Heisman QB would be a signature win.
    Valid points, all.

    To get you fired up:

    http://www.ajc.com/feed/sports/chick...exas-am/fWdKH/

    Still have not seed odds on the game, assume we will be underdogs. Just where we want to be.

Similar Threads

  1. Chick-fil-A Bowl will check out the Blue Devils vs UNC
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 03:12 AM
  2. ESPN's ACC bowl predictions
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM
  3. Today Only- FREE CHICK-FIL-A!
    By sue71, esq in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
  4. Chick Flicks
    By knights68 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 04:42 AM
  5. Free Chick-Fil-A?
    By bjornolf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •