Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They're fatter and cast a broader shadow.

Not polite to ask, really.
    Sorry. Awkward is my middle name.

In seriousness,I do not think there is anything different about the shaded ones, other than signifying you have more than five.

I think eleven is the max, at least for us mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    In seriousness,I do not think there is anything different about the shaded ones, other than signifying you have more than five.

I think eleven is the max, at least for us mortals.
    We are all mortals except whereinthehellami who has eleventybillion s/he has cleverly awarded her/himself in avatar fashion. And none of them are underlined/shaded.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The pitchforks with a shadow are more difficult to earn. There is a difference in how quickly you earn the each of the first five pitchforks; after that, it takes more positive comments to earn.

No, I don't remember how many comments are needed for each kind. I have to wade through some code (written by somebody else) to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    The pitchforks with a shadow are more difficult to earn. There is a difference in how quickly you earn the each of the first five pitchforks; after that, it takes more positive comments to earn.

No, I don't remember how many comments are needed for each kind. I have to wade through some code (written by somebody else) to figure it out.
    Further evidence we have some rather shadow-y characters here.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Further evidence we have some rather shadow-y characters here.
    Will the real Slim Shady please post now
    please post now
    please post now . . . .

i did notice that #7 was a lot harder to get to than #6……….go figure...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Isn't it time they were updated to have four prongs?

Wherethehellami's avatar --

-Jason "very clever" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Reputation power?

Reviving this thread because I visited my Settings page this morning and noticed an update. Now we can see not just the last 5 comments we've received, but also the last 5 comments we've given to others. This new section is called "Latest Reputation Given" and it also assigns us a Reputation Power score.

I have two questions.

1. It shows a flame icon next to my (positive) comment to OldSchool's epic Wojo-is-not-surprised post. This has to be a mistake. I sent OldSchool a PM as an apology, but that really feels inadequate given the awesomeness of the post and its potential for a legacy years down the line. Is there a way to find out what happened?

2. What is the Reputation Power score? Mine is 22. Does this mean that a positive comment from me adds 22 points to someone's total, or is the 22 something unrelated? Is it a function of someone who gives out a lot of reputation comments -- which I do -- or is it just based on the number of sporks I have? I'm guessing it's the former; you would think that a 10-spork member who uses the reputation feature would have more reputation power than a 10-spork member who doesn't use that feature.

Sorry. I constantly am trying to define myself, and so I desperately need to know whether I have 10 or 22 MeowMeowBeenz.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Reviving this thread because I visited my Settings page this morning and noticed an update. Now we can see not just the last 5 comments we've received, but also the last 5 comments we've given to others. This new section is called "Latest Reputation Given" and it also assigns us a Reputation Power score.

I have two questions.

1. It shows a flame icon next to my (positive) comment to OldSchool's epic Wojo-is-not-surprised post. This has to be a mistake. I sent OldSchool a PM as an apology, but that really feels inadequate given the awesomeness of the post and its potential for a legacy years down the line. Is there a way to find out what happened?

2. What is the Reputation Power score? Mine is 22. Does this mean that a positive comment from me adds 22 points to someone's total, or is the 22 something unrelated? Is it a function of someone who gives out a lot of reputation comments -- which I do -- or is it just based on the number of sporks I have? I'm guessing it's the former; you would think that a 10-spork member who uses the reputation feature would have more reputation power than a 10-spork member who doesn't use that feature.

Sorry. I constantly am trying to define myself, and so I desperately need to know whether I have 10 or 22 MeowMeowBeenz.
    Cool. Glad you discovered that new feature and brought it to our attention. I've always wondered about that and it's nice to be able to kinda/sorta "track" our comments. I tried to sign on this AM and found DBR was "closed for repairs" and hoped some IC tool had not infiltrated and hacked the system for a meltdown of epic c*rolina proportions. -jk (he and devil84 deserve our unabashed praise, flooding their PM boxes with copious notes of gratitude and more reputation points than their accounts will allow-I personally sent him a very simple thank you.) re-assured me it was for positive update features (leaner/meaner/bigger/stronger/faster, well, maybe some of those). More sporks coming your way soon (you know the rules, not allowed just yet) for your continued wit and to further define your (almost) legendary postings.

You probably inadvertently flamed when you meant to pitchfork. We should probably have a policy allowing people to reverse these, but the whole point of the reputation process is that no one person has a significant impact on the score of another. This has happened to me, but I didn't want to make it look like I was asking for special treatment.

Your reputation power is the number of points other folks get when you pitchfork them. I believe flames count for fewer minus points than pitchforks count for plus points, perhaps half.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    You probably inadvertently flamed when you meant to pitchfork. We should probably have a policy allowing people to reverse these, but the whole point of the reputation process is that no one person has a significant impact on the score of another. This has happened to me, but I didn't want to make it look like I was asking for special treatment.

Your reputation power is the number of points other folks get when you pitchfork them. I believe flames count for fewer minus points than pitchforks count for plus points, perhaps half.
    Regarding your second paragraph, it's kinda/sorta true. Brevity has a rep power of 22, which he kindly revealed for all the (DBR) world to see, but he (pitch)forked me recently and I think I received 4-5 points, not 22. Nonetheless, his positive comment was graciously received and highly appreciated. Fortunately, I have received very few flames (don't get any ideas, folks), but know from other posters that some mods have given them a flame and it has cost them 30-50 points, yet a positive comment from one of the same mods might be worth 20-30 points.

I have on two occasions (I think) meted out flames inadvertently and issued immediate public and PM apologies to the afflicted recipients when informed of my terrible errors. I, unlike jamieluckie or mikeeades, have been known to issue "make up sporks" to those unfairly treated parties.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Regarding your second paragraph, it's kinda/sorta true. Brevity has a rep power of 22, which he kindly revealed for all the (DBR) world to see, but he (pitch)forked me recently and I think I received 4-5 points, not 22.
    I believe there's a diminishing returns principle built in, where pitchforking the same person repeatedly results in fewer points. This prevents "pitchfork cliques" from forming.

You probably inadvertently flamed when you meant to pitchfork.
    I don't think I did. As I told OldSchool in that PM message, I issued that comment on my desktop computer right before I typed out my own Wojo-is-not-surprised post. In that setting* -- desktop computer and mouse -- it's almost impossible to accidentally click on the "I disapprove" line.

* As opposed to my smartphone or laptop, where an accidental flame could definitely happen. On a 4-inch phone screen, my finger often touches the disapproval field just to scroll down, but I notice and correct it before submitting. My laptop's touchpad sometimes selects of its own volition wherever the cursor happens to be, just like every other freaking laptop I've ever owned. I know it's a topic for a separate thread, but what the hell is that all about?

* As opposed to my smartphone or laptop, where an accidental flame could definitely happen. On a 4-inch phone screen, my finger often touches the disapproval field just to scroll down, but I notice and correct it before submitting. My laptop's touchpad sometimes selects of its own volition wherever the cursor happens to be, just like every other freaking laptop I've ever owned. I know it's a topic for a separate thread, but what the hell is that all about?
    It's your laptop's (not-so-)subtle way of telling you to get a wireless mouse.

I believe there's a diminishing returns principle built in, where pitchforking the same person repeatedly results in fewer points. This prevents "pitchfork cliques" from forming.
    I believe you are correct.

I have two questions.

Discovered another nice feature of the new/improved DBR. In addition to being notified when you receive a PM, you are now notified when a new comment is added to your spork/flame collection.

I don't think I did. As I told OldSchool in that PM message, I issued that comment on my desktop computer right before I typed out my own Wojo-is-not-surprised post. In that setting* -- desktop computer and mouse -- it's almost impossible to accidentally click on the "I disapprove" line.

You sir! You think too much! Come over here on the couch and sit next to me. Go get me a beer first though.
    Shhhhhh. Watch the teevee, now.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    You sir! You think too much! Come over here on the couch and sit next to me. Go get me a beer first though.
    Shhhhhh. Watch the teevee, now.
    I didn't realize that he was Bill Werber reincarnated!