Page 12 of 124 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    There are a massive # of celebrities talking about crypto these days, and of course multi-million dollar ads with Tom Brady and Giselle running on TV constantly. The fact that Mr Wonderful or Ashton Kutcher or any other influencer is talking about the promise of crypto means nothing since it's very likely they are getting paid well to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    There are a massive # of celebrities talking about crypto these days, and of course multi-million dollar ads with Tom Brady and Giselle running on TV constantly. The fact that Mr Wonderful or Ashton Kutcher or any other influencer is talking about the promise of crypto means nothing since it's very likely they are getting paid well to do so.
    I wouldn’t say it “means nothing” just because some celebs get paid to promote. To me it shows that mass adoption and acceptance in the space is coming as these celebrities get more involved.

But I do get your point, there are plenty of celebrity “influencer’s” on the payroll of some exchanges and crypto products being used solely for marketing.

Keep in mind there’s also a lot more to “crypto” than just hype and celebrities shilling coins. And it can be difficult to separate bull%#$ “crypto currencies” (doge, shib etc…) from digital assets….(BTC, ETH, Matic, Dot), until you do a deep dive into it all.

We should note Kevin O’Leary is more than an influencer, he’s a serious investor in crypto, (Mark Cuban too). O’Leary has, by his own account, put about 16.5 % of his total portfolio (billions?) into the digital asset space now and expects up to 20% by the end of ‘22.

Tom Brady and Giselle are also more than just influencers, they have an equity stake in The FTX crypto exchange, among other digital investments.

There’s an “arms race” going on to get first mover advantage between Facebook (Meta), and Microsoft, among others, to create the first widely accepted virtual Metaverse.

Microsoft just fired this shot today by announcing plans to acquire the gaming company that owns Call of Duty for 69 Billion$, expanding their metaverse environment plans from a business perspective to add social gaming.

Digital currency will be traded on these virtual platforms in the future with play to earn games, NFT purchases, etc…

What transaction rails will these currencies be exchanged on? I’m betting on either the Ethereum Network or Bitcoin’s Lightning Network.

Another announcement today. CashApp now on the Lightning Network….(short).

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    There’s an “arms race” going on to get first mover advantage between Facebook (Meta), and Microsoft, among others, to create the first widely accepted virtual Metaverse.

Microsoft just fired this shot today by announcing plans to acquire the gaming company that owns Call of Duty for 69 Billion$, expanding their metaverse environment plans from a business perspective to add social gaming.

Digital currency will be traded on these virtual platforms in the future with play to earn games, NFT purchases, etc…

What transaction rails will these currencies be exchanged on? I’m betting on either the Ethereum Network or Bitcoin’s Lightning Network.

Another announcement today. CashApp now on the Lightning Network….(short).
    I’d rather sell my soul than touch anything Facebook owns. Digital satan.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I’d rather sell my soul than touch anything Facebook owns. Digital satan.
    I’m with you on that. My virtual vacation home won’t be on Meta.

Coffe and Crypto - Duke Faculty

Dr. Jimmie Lenz, the Director of the Master of Engineering Program in Financial Technology at Duke University, and Lee Reiners, the Executive Director of the Global Financial Markets Center at Duke University, share an informal discussion on the latest cryptocurrency news topics here.

I think it's a great watch and there's a healthy balance of skepticism and optimism between the two.

Some interesting wallet charts and how they buy and sell…

I believe that you should always try new sources of income. Personally, I am fine with bitcoins and I think that this is an excellent source of income. How fast do you think bitcoin will rise back in price?

Quote Originally Posted by aroundworld View Post
    I believe that you should always try new sources of income. Personally, I am fine with bitcoins and I think that this is an excellent source of income. How fast do you think bitcoin will rise back in price?
    This is complete speculation, but my guess is it will be a while. I don't see bitcoin/crypto recovering as long as traditional markets continue to bleed. I have no idea what will happen, but my prediction is bitcoin continues to bleed in Q1 and doesn't see a significant recovery until Q2 or Q3. I think the earliest we might see all time highs again would be Q4 or 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by aroundworld View Post
    Just curious, but what do you mean by "income" ? Mining? Or just a rise in price? I'm trying to understand the how capital appreciation vs. income in a bitcoin context.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Just curious, but what do you mean by "income" ? Mining? Or just a rise in price? I'm trying to understand the how capital appreciation vs. income in a bitcoin context.
    If you have Ether (or any proof of stake coin) you can stake it (eventually) and receive passive income. Bitcoin, not so much.

Two Arrested for Alleged Conspiracy to Launder $4.5 Billion in Stolen Cryptocurrency

Government Seized $3.6 Billion in Stolen Cryptocurrency Directly Linked to 2016 Hack of Virtual Currency Exchange

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-a...cryptocurrency

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Two Arrested for Alleged Conspiracy to Launder $4.5 Billion in Stolen Cryptocurrency

Government Seized $3.6 Billion in Stolen Cryptocurrency Directly Linked to 2016 Hack of Virtual Currency Exchange

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-a...cryptocurrency
    They basically robbed a bank and got caught trying to figure out how to spend marked bills.

This is a positive overall, imo, and shows that crypto currencies are legitimate and can be tracked by authorities when there’s illegal activity.

Too many people still believe in the anonymous, early days narrative of crypto, to a fault. It’s not that anonymous.

It also points out why it’s imperative to learn how to self custody your own assets in cold storage wallets and not leave them on exchanges. At least until exchange accounts can be insured by something like what the FDIC does for banks.

So, let me get this straight, the couple had $3B+ in Bitcoin and used it to buy a wal mart gift card and continued to rent a 2 BR apartment in NYC?

Bizarre...or perhaps the couple is just one piece of the puzzle. Authorities used the public Blockchain transactions to track it and eventually were able to find deposits hitting the individuals account even after they tried to obfuscate their moves by making a series of transactions.

Justice Dept. Seizes $3.6 Billion in Bitcoin and Arrests Married Couple https://nyti.ms/34kHGNu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    So, let me get this straight, the couple had $3B+ in Bitcoin and used it to buy a wal mart gift card and continued to rent a 2 BR apartment in NYC?

Bizarre...or perhaps the couple is just one piece of the puzzle. Authorities used the public Blockchain transactions to track it and eventually were able to find deposits hitting the individuals account even after they tried to obfuscate their moves by making a series of transactions.

Justice Dept. Seizes $3.6 Billion in Bitcoin and Arrests Married Couple https://nyti.ms/34kHGNu
    Seems pretty obvious these two were not the hackers. Just search and check out the twitter videos and tic tok stuff on them and you’ll see what I mean.

They’ve been played by somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

The movie already has a soundtrack, apparently.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/razzlekhan-rap-cryptocurrency-012307238.html

BlockFi Will Pay $100M in Settlement With SEC, State Regulators Over High-Yield

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2022...lators-report/

The settlement hasn't been released it appears to be a leak or something similar. Any legal minds care to speculate on what might happen?

The idea of NFTs has never particularly appealed to me, and things like this just solidify that. Is this a blip / one-off or evidence of a deeper, structural issue with the whole concept?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nft-m...191522940.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I do for my fishing charters.
    Waiting on my accountant to figure out how to handle the taxes for retail. Regulations aren’t especially clear at this time.
    And the reporting will be very complex if ever settled.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2022...lators-report/

The settlement hasn't been released it appears to be a leak or something similar. Any legal minds care to speculate on what might happen?
    Here's the SEC PR: https://www.sec.gov/news/press-relea...ce=govdelivery