Thread: Earthquake!

Earthquake!

4.7-4.8 magnitude earthquake in the NY/NJ area. Epicenter was about 50 miles west of the city. My Manhattan apartment shook quite a bit but no damage. A friend in NJ lost power at his office. My 8th grader was scheduled to study earthquakes today so he can tell me what happened.

Phones are all going off with emergency alerts. Ground stops at all area airports. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    4.7-4.8 magnitude earthquake in the NY/NJ area. Epicenter was about 50 miles west of the city. My Manhattan apartment shook quite a bit but no damage. A friend in NJ lost power at his office. My 8th grader was scheduled to study earthquakes today so he can tell me what happened.

Phones are all going off with emergency alerts. Ground stops at all area airports. Fun times.
    Crazy! Yea, I'm 2.5 hours north of NYC and I was getting ready for a Zoom work call at 10:30 AM, EST, when, all of a sudden, my office at my house began to shudder. At first, I thought it might a large truck going down the road that was causing the vibration but there was no traffic on the road. I figured it might be an earthquake but not sure. This happened about 15 years ago.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Crazy! Yea, I'm 2.5 hours north of NYC and I was getting ready for a Zoom work call at 10:30 AM, EST, when, all of a sudden, my office at my house began to shudder. At first, I thought it might a large truck going down the road that was causing the vibration but there was no traffic on the road. I figured it might be an earthquake but not sure. This happened about 15 years ago.
    2011. Felt over a large portion of the eastern seaboard and cracked the Washington Monument.

Just like I'm sure it was for Yankees today, an earthquake that is felt like that is unnerving for anyone that's never experienced it before. (Although I'm happy I did because it was pretty cool.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Felt it here in SEPA! What the heck?! Atlantic masquerading as the pacific rim today!

I'm about an hour south of the epicenter; 40 miles as the crow flies.
    It felt here like a larger than normal truck was driving buy; there was a point when I said to myself, "That's no TRUCK!".
    I just felt a little side to side shaking (P waves), no rolling.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a 2nd (felt) quake (P waves and S waves travel at different speeds); perhaps there is different dampening at these low magnitudes.

My niece was on a 6th floor within 10 miles of the epicenter, near Patterson NJ. She was a bit frightened and told that it measured a 5.5 .

Tsunami warning is up for my cat's bowl.

Larry
    DevilHorse in central NJ

Hope you and everyone else is safe. And praying for no structural damage anywhere. Take care, CNC.

I'm in CT about 80 miles NE of NYC. Was sitting at my home office when I heard what I thought was a very long, loud wind gust, but looked outside and it wasn't windy at all. That's when my phone started blowing up. Weird stuff.
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Hoping all well and safe

In Queens we felt a tremor, the chandelier shook a bit, and felt a rumbling. I thought it was the refrigerator or a large truck speeding by.

Dog was oblivious.

Ramapo Fault Line, I read. 4.8.

Here’s the Mayor’s statement:

What should I do DURING an earthquake?

New York City Mayor Eric Adams released the following statement after New York City felt the impacts of a 4.8 magnitude earthquake:

“At approximately 10:23 AM, New York City felt the impact of a 4.8 magnitude earthquake. The epicenter was in Lebanon, New Jersey, about 50 miles from New York City. Our first responders are working to make sure New Yorkers are safe, and at this point, we do not have any reports of major impacts or injuries.

“I encourage all New Yorkers to check on your loved ones, and if you feel an aftershock, drop to the floor, cover your head and neck, and take cover under a solid piece of furniture, next to an interior wall, or in a doorway. So far no major life safety issues reported, no reported infrastructure issues, but we will continue our inspections of critical infrastructure.”

The second paragraph reads like our instructions for potential nuclear attacks while I was in elementary school. “Go under your desk…” Really?

From USA Today.

One Horsham, Pennsylvania, man shared his unusual earthquake experience, saying the tremors hit when he was in the middle of receiving a vasectomy.

"The surgeon sort of froze and all of us kind of seemed a bit confused," Justin Allen told USA TODAY. "Even when the surgeon said 'that’s gotta be an earthquake,' I thought he was joking."

Luckily, Allen's doctor was able to resume the procedure after a brief pause, and the rest went off without a hitch. Now recovering at home, Allen said it's an experience no one involved will forget, especially because his social media post about the incident has since gone viral.

"My wife says that 'this is a clear and obvious sign that we should not have any more kids,'" Allen said.

Poor advice

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    In Queens we felt a tremor, the chandelier shook a bit, and felt a rumbling. I thought it was the refrigerator or a large truck speeding by.

Dog was oblivious.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams released the following statement after New York City felt the impacts of a 4.8 magnitude earthquake:

“At approximately 10:23 AM, New York City felt the impact of a 4.8 magnitude earthquake. The epicenter was in Lebanon, New Jersey, about 50 miles from New York City. Our first responders are working to make sure New Yorkers are safe, and at this point, we do not have any reports of major impacts or injuries.

“I encourage all New Yorkers to check on your loved ones, and if you feel an aftershock, drop to the floor, cover your head and neck, and take cover under a solid piece of furniture, next to an interior wall, or in a doorway. So far no major life safety issues reported, no reported infrastructure issues, but we will continue our inspections of critical infrastructure.”

The second paragraph reads like our instructions for potential nuclear attacks while I was in elementary school. “Go under your desk…” Really?
    Interestingly, standing in the doorway is no longer recommended.

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/earthquakes/during.html

https://www.washington.edu/uwem/prep...an-earthquake/

I'm just waiting for DT to come out and say "if I'm elected, there will be no more earthquakes in the US".

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post

Dog was oblivious.

Under the desk actually makes a lot more sense for an earthquake than a nuclear attack. There is a real threat of things falling off the ceiling, walls, etc. And the response to an earthquake is much different than any other type of storm because there is zero time to prepare - not like a hurricane or something like that where you see it coming. So you can't just take a few minutes to run to a different room. What would you suggest?

I am not president of Adam's fan club but it is sad that I have already seen people looking for an excuse to criticize him. Can anything bring us together? If you don't have anything nice to say...

My 4th grader got home and said they felt it but none of the kids really thought much of it.

Under the desk actually makes a lot more sense for an earthquake than a nuclear attack. There is a real threat of things falling off the ceiling, walls, etc. And the response to an earthquake is much different than any other type of storm because there is zero time to prepare - not like a hurricane or something like that where you see it coming. So you can't just take a few minutes to run to a different room. What would you suggest?

I am not president of Adam's fan club but it is sad that I have already seen people looking for an excuse to criticize him. Can anything bring us together? If you don't have anything nice to say...

My 4th grader got home and said they felt it but none of the kids really thought much of it.
    Wasn't criticizing Eric. He and his brother are family friends. Was just commenting on the advice.

He's swimming upstream with the loonies we have running NYC and NYS.

Obviously, if a nuclear bomb lands extremely close by nothing will really matter. I believe the purpose of hiding under desks was to minimize the risk from all the broken glass windows, which would have turned into thousands of high projectile bullets. And to a lesser extent protect against falling debris.

Just got home and saw this thread.
    I live about 15-20 miles north of NYC and we experienced fairly significant shaking for ~15-20 seconds. Enough that piles of books fell off of shelves.

Also, I work (actually am emeritus now) at a big Columbia University earth science lab here in Rockland County. On Friday afternoons, we have "record reading" where, as part of their training, a couple of seismology graduate students are assigned to analyze the seismograms from a recent earthquake. This afternoon it was quickly switched to what do we know or can figure out about the NJ quake from the seismograms and the local geology. In the middle of it, a film crew from some station or network popped in and started filming. So, you may see me sitting watching the discussion.

Also - I think I just felt an aftershock a few minutes ago.

Definitely was an aftershock. I think it was 4.0 (according to LoHud)