Page 55 of 125 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2485
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That’s face value, which I agreed with upthread, but not intrinsic value.
    It is true that the purchasing power of the dollar depends on inflation and deflation. But it is also true that the dollar value is backed by the US, which is a very powerful institution that has a massive interest in ensuring its currency continues to hold value. As I pointed out the central bank has worked for 40 years to keep inflation around 2% and has succeeded except this year after a worldwide pandemic, massive chain supply disruptions and a European war between oil producing nations.

Also as I previously noted there is some value in the dollar just due to it being legal tender that must be accepted to by any of my debtors. Let's assume that despite the best efforts of the central bank the dollar has crashed and now only buys a piece of bubblegum. By law I can still take 110,000 of these dollars that are now worth about the same as $100 several years ago to my mortgage holder and he has to give up all claim to my home. Same for any student loans, car payments, IRS payments or any other debts.

It's noteworthy that when inflation hits people focus on only one side of the equation - purchasing power. They are aghast at gas prices (rightfully so) but they don't realize that inflation also makes their debts cheaper, because salaries for the same amount of work also go up (eventually) if inflation persists.

None of the above is true of bitcoin. It's value is backed by nothing more than the belief of its users. If it's purchasing power drops drastically (like it has in the last year) there is no compensatory "loan cheapening" effect. You just lose value, and hope collective belief raises it's value again in the future. And unlike the dollar, if that belief fades away and bitcoin value starts dropping to zero there are no massive institutions intervening in it's behalf. If there ever was a buyer beware product, it is bitcoin. You should buy it as an investment if you think the belief system can sustain and grow it. But don't fool yourself into thinking it is backed by anything other than that collective belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    It’s obvious the BIS has an annual meeting, I’m asking the question, did the BIS have to have another “extraordinary “ meeting (their definition), to change the banks balance sheet to 1% Bitcoin that he may have been referring to?

I don’t know the answer to that.

Sounds like old Guy was hyping it all calling whatever meeting he was referring to “a time of crises”…surprise.
    Nah mate. Stop the fishing. It was either the Annual Meeting or one of the bimonthly ones. I don’t care to look again (don’t want to give him the views) but he posts the report (which I read) made from the meeting. I’m sure it’s dated. This information is right there.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 07-06-2022 at 02:46 PM.

I could tell you, but I’d have to shoot you.
    Not looking for your specific details.

With the apparent value of that word list, how do you secure it both from being lost through carelessness or natural disaster and from being found by the wrong person? Either could be a big hit. Do you have extra copies of it or have put some words in one place and the rest someplace else? Is there a best practice?

My bus-fearing boss of years ago had me keep the admin passwords (with clear use description for each) in an envelope - sealed with both our signatures - in a safe with limited access. And we updated/verified it regularly.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Nah mate. Stop the fishing. It was either the Annual Meeting or one of the bimonthly ones. I don’t care to look again (don’t want to give him the views) but he posts the report (which I read) made from the meeting. I’m sure it’s dated. This information is right there.
    Whatever…it’s not that big a deal either way.

What is a big deal is that the BIS is now allowing their banks to hold up to 1% of assets in Bitcoin on their balance sheets.

Evidently, the worlds financial leaders are warming up to the idea that Bitcoin has value, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    It is true that the purchasing power of the dollar depends on inflation and deflation. But it is also true that the dollar value is backed by the US, which is a very powerful institution that has a massive interest in ensuring its currency continues to hold value. As I pointed out the central bank has worked for 40 years to keep inflation around 2% and has succeeded except this year after a worldwide pandemic, massive chain supply disruptions and a European war between oil producing nations.

<snip>
    Yes, I know and agree w/ all that. I guess my comment was a narrow, definitional one so can probably be cast aside for the focus of the thread. The U.S. government, or any government, decreeing a face value does not mean the dollar has any intrinsic value in and of itself. Intrinsic value is the value generated by an underlying asset. Dollars is the just the unit of measure by which we most typically calculate intrinsic value because the face value is agreed upon...

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Also as I previously noted there is some value in the dollar just due to it being legal tender that must be accepted to by any of my debtors. Let's assume that despite the best efforts of the central bank the dollar has crashed and now only buys a piece of bubblegum. By law I can still take 110,000 of these dollars that are now worth about the same as $100 several years ago to my mortgage holder and he has to give up all claim to my home. Same for any student loans, car payments, IRS payments or any other debts.

It's noteworthy that when inflation hits people focus on only one side of the equation - purchasing power. They are aghast at gas prices (rightfully so) but they don't realize that inflation also makes their debts cheaper, because salaries for the same amount of work also go up (eventually) if inflation persists.
    This is a great writeup on inflation, but I feel compelled to point out that the chasm between "salaries go up" and "salaries go up (eventually)" is wide enough to pull a Hoover Cart through and you have to make it all the way to the other side for the cheaper debts to matter. I suspect that is at least a part of why it gets less attention.

Whatever…it’s not that big a deal either way.

What is a big deal is that the BIS is now allowing their banks to hold up to 1% of assets in Bitcoin on their balance sheets.

Evidently, the worlds financial leaders are warming up to the idea that Bitcoin has value, right?
    Again you are mischaracterizing the situation.

1) No, the Basel Framework does not allow what you claim. There is a PROPOSAL to allow banks to hold up to 1% of Group 2 digital assets (which are riskier) in various digital assets…in the future…maybe but not now. This would be a risk asset like equities, real estate, currencies and commodities (which is what the SEC categorized Bitcoin as) that banks are allowed to hold. These assets are prone to price volatility so exposure is limited.

2) Why are they doing it? Because
    “ The report adds: “The Committee believes that the growth of crypto assets and related services has the potential to raise financial stability concerns and increase risks faced by banks”.
    It’s to save banks from themselves and tax payers from bailouts. It’s not because they think Bitcoin has value but because they think yield seeking banks will bring down the system chasing crypto profits.

3) The risk is going to be weighed at 1250% so that’s going to make BTC unattractive relative to other assets.

4) I will give you that it’s a positive that they are giving definition to digital assets that will be almost certainly be adopted universally in the banking industry.

https://www.business2community.com/c...tcoin-02515896
    Last edited by Kdogg; 07-06-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes, I know and agree w/ all that. I guess my comment was a narrow, definitional one so can probably be cast aside for the focus of the thread. The U.S. government, or any government, decreeing a face value does not mean the dollar has any intrinsic value in and of itself. Intrinsic value is the value generated by an underlying asset. Dollars is the just the unit of measure by which we most typically calculate intrinsic value because the face value is agreed upon...
    I get it and of course you are correct. The intrinsic value of the paper bill is minuscule - while MacGyver could stop a bomb with it the rest of us can only use it to make a paper plane.

With money there are so many layers. The dollar bill is actually a token, a token made of material with almost no intrinsic value. The token however has a guaranteed value as long as the US exists for paying off debts. Note that this legally guaranteed debt paying ability gives your dollars value even if you have no debt because other people and institutions will want your dollars to pay off their own debts.

Back to the more metaphysical layers of money - note that bitcoins aren't even tokens. There are no physical bitcoins (although drawings of the mythical creature have been made), there are just numbers on a ledger. Any monetary system based on electronic ledgers has serious vulnerabilities, including distributed ledgers. We have already seen successful phishing attacks on crypto exchanges where hundreds of millions of dollars were stolen and became unrecoverable. All without lifting a weapon. The blockchain is touted as unassailable but Kdogg and snowdenscold have pointed out that even it has security risks, introduced by the power of node operators and the like, topics I know nothing about. And of course EMP's, from natural to nuclear bomb generated, could knock out power and the internet for days, weeks or even months as could a coordinated terrorist attack on the power grid and or internet. Maybe even 'cold wallets" could be erased by an EMP, I don't know. This is a long winded way of pointing out that any electronic ledger connected to the internet will have endless unanticipated security vulnerabilities.

Physical tokens have no such vulnerabilities - they can be locked in a safe, hidden in cookie jars or cut-out books, or stored in a bank-safe deposit box. Apparently $18 million can be hidden in a single apartment wall (see Escobar). Of course physical tokens have their own set of vulnerabilities - they can be stolen, lost in a fire or thrown out with a mattress (years ago in Italy children surprised their elderly mom with a new mattress, throwing out the old one with $1 million in it, never recovered). Even if stored in a bank deposit box it is still vulnerable to knowledge loss (Dad/Mom dies without telling spouse or children there is such a money cache).

If a nuclear generated EMP does bring the electrical grid/internet/bank cash machines to a halt for days or months, those physical tokens could prove to be lifesavers. Those physical $10 or $100 dollar bills can be used to buy food, gas, etc.

tldr vers; Bottom line - the physical token of cash still has a use. It allows us to spread out our financial vulnerabilities, to some extent. House burns down, you turn to your electronic "money" in the bank or crypto wallet. If the internet crashes for a month and all hell breaks lose your physical tokens (dollars) will at least help you get through the tough times.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Not looking for your specific details.

With the apparent value of that word list, how do you secure it both from being lost through carelessness or natural disaster and from being found by the wrong person? Either could be a big hit. Do you have extra copies of it or have put some words in one place and the rest someplace else? Is there a best practice?

My bus-fearing boss of years ago had me keep the admin passwords (with clear use description for each) in an envelope - sealed with both our signatures - in a safe with limited access. And we updated/verified it regularly.

-jk
    It’s a huge responsibility to be the caretaker of your Bitcoin. The simple answer to your questions are that you have to make the decisions you are comfortable with on security of the seed phrase passwords. Best advice I can give is a Google search on best ways to secure seed phrases. You will find lots of options.

It’s really why we need something like a spot market ETF for those who want to own BTC but don’t want the responsibility of securing their BTC, or we could just have an FDIC insured institution, like a bank, hold the BTC for average investors, pay them a fee, then let them be responsible for storage and security.

Those that wish to maintain their own control of their BTC can still do so.

Sorry, but all this talk about cold wallets and seed phrases and private keys makes me want to repost two snippets I've already put in this thread, so I apologize for the duplication but I think it bears repeating. Particularly since so many sites/comments I've read online hand-wave the issue away with constant statements like "gotta have personal responsibility" and "secure your keys, everyone knows that."

Schneier:
    That has nothing to do with the cryptography or the protocols. In fact, a system where you can lose your life savings if you forget your key or download a piece of malware is not particularly trustworthy. No amount of explaining how SHA-256 works to prevent double-spending will fix that.
    Tante:
    With a blockchain based system all these protections go away because there is no “undo”. If you have your life’s savings in Bitcoin and someone gains access to your key, those coins are gone and you are s*%t out of luck. Given how easy it is to accidentally click on a wrong button, have people clicking on a phishing mail or just have people get their computer infected with a virus that risk is completely indefensible. If one virus can wipe out all your assets with no way to correct that mistake, that’s not a world we should ever want. We need more protections for people, not fewer.
    I'll add on to the "forget" or "stolen" scenarios - someone passes away without revealing to next-of-kin what/where the keys are.

A system without "undos" that relies on perfect guardianship of private cryptographic keys throughout ones lifetime (and beyond), as well as bug-free code of numerous systems along the way, is not one I'm super optimistic about.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Sorry, but all this talk about cold wallets and seed phrases and private keys makes me want to repost two snippets I've already put in this thread, so I apologize for the duplication but I think it bears repeating. Particularly since so many sites/comments I've read online hand-wave the issue away with constant statements like "gotta have personal responsibility" and "secure your keys, everyone knows that."

Schneier:

Tante:

I'll add on to the "forget" or "stolen" scenarios - someone passes away without revealing to next-of-kin what/where the keys are.

A system without "undos" that relies on perfect guardianship of private cryptographic keys throughout ones lifetime (and beyond), as well as bug-free code of numerous systems along the way, is not one I'm super optimistic about.
    Currently holding your own Bitcoin is not for the meek, that’s for sure.

I believe better storage options will come for BTC ownership, as adoption grows.

Some news this week…

From the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland….

The Lightning Network: Turning Bitcoin into Money

Keep a watch on where talent goes….

Three JPMorgan execs are leaving the bank for jobs in the crypto industry…

Reminder, Bitcoin is a worldwide Digital property asset…

Brazil’s largest digital payments app, PicPay, is set to enable its over 65 million users to purchase bitcoin on its platform.

Bitcoin adoption steadily increasing into a finite supply…

As of July 12, the number of Bitcoin addresses ever created surpassed the one billion mark for the first time hitting 1,000,002,559, data provided by crypto analytics platform Glassnode indicates.

The fifth largest retail bank in Switzerland will allow its over two million customers to buy, sell and hold bitcoin by 2024.

Why average people around the world should keep some of their savings in the self custody of Bitcoin…

What’s behind the Chinese bank runs?

Could something this happen here with a Fed controlled CBDC? All for a good reason, of course, we’d be told…

China's bank run victims planned to protest. Then their Covid health codes turned red
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 07-12-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Why average people around the world should keep some of their savings in the self custody of BitcoinÂ…

WhatÂ’s behind the Chinese bank runs?

Could something this happen here with a Fed controlled CBDC? All for a good reason, of course, weÂ’d be toldÂ…

China's bank run victims planned to protest. Then their Covid health codes turned red
    Again with the paranoia and fear mongering? Those depositors are going to get their money back because there is a central bank unlike all the customers of the various exchanges that have their accounts "frozen" but likely liquidated. Like with the exchanges, banks offering unrealistic interest rates are a red flag. It's saddening that those people had to fight for it.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...tests-86651836

I don't think you understand how easy it would be for any government to halt all Bitcoin transactions within its boarders. At its core it's dependent on a network and networks can be disrupted, broken and/or cut off. If a government wanted to control the spending of any crypto it would be trivia. Blocking the IPs of miners and nodes would cripple Bitcoin et al so they wouldn't even need a CBDC. They could force exchanges to stop all activity. I mean I can play the paranoia game with Bitcoin all day and probably with every single "claim" that Bitcoin acolytes like to trot out. Again no one wants to control your grocery purchases.

In other news Bitcoin miners in Texas are going offline temporary because of potential brown outs and soaring electricity spot prices. It seems TX wasn't the best place to relocate minering after the Chinese ban. The grid is over stressed from the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. It's predicted that all mining operations in the state will use the amount of electricity as Houston but next year. Something is going to give.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/2...ectricity-grid
    Last edited by Kdogg; 07-12-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Again with the paranoia and fear mongering? Those depositors are going to get their money back because there is a central bank unlike all the customers of the various exchanges that have their accounts "frozen" but likely liquidated. Like with the exchanges, banks offering unrealistic interest rates are a red flag. It's saddening that those people had to fight for it.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...tests-86651836

I don't think you understand how easy it would be for any government to halt all Bitcoin transactions within its boarders. At its core it's dependent on a network and networks can be disrupted, broken and/or cut off. If a government wanted to control the spending of any crypto it would be trivia. Blocking the IPs of miners and nodes would cripple Bitcoin et al so they wouldn't even need a CBDC. They could force exchanges to stop all activity. I mean I can play the paranoia game with Bitcoin all day and probably with every single "claim" that Bitcoin acolytes like to trot out. Again no one wants to control your grocery purchases.

In other news Bitcoin miners in Texas are going offline temporary because of potential brown outs and soaring electricity spot prices. It seems TX wasn't the best place to relocate minering after the Chinese ban. The grid is over stressed from the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. It's predicted that all mining operations in the state will use the amount of electricity as Houston but next year. Something is going to give.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/2...ectricity-grid
    We see things differently. It’s not paranoia and fear mongering, it’s reality. There is a lot of instability in banking around the world, and I see more government overreach all the time.

For the first time in history we have a digital property individual’s can own and keep securely on their phone. Bitcoin offers a unique ability for an individual to secure and control their own money/savings, contained within their ownership of that digital property, without dependence and trust of a third party.
    This is steadily changing how people view saving and storing the monetary value they have attained through their work efforts around the world.

You are correct on crypto exchanges, many are lightly regulated, or unregulated altogether, and a dangerous place to store digital assets, as of now.
    People need to control their own assets in cold storage wallets, at least until we have better regulations and FDIC insurance.

I disagree that BTC can be stopped. Governments cannot halt Bitcoin transactions, unless they shut down the internet. Bitcoin does not need an exchange, governments, or banks to exist. It just needs the internet.
    Bitcoin can be peer to peer exchanged. I give you $100, you give me $100 worth of Bitcoin. You wash my car, I can pay you directly in Bitcoin.
    As long as the two parties agree to the exchange of BTC’s perceived value, no banks, exchanges or governments need be involved.

Some governments could pass laws to make Bitcoin transactions illegal in their jurisdiction, and penalize owners, but they cannot stop Bitcoin.

Fortunately, in the US, we have a constitution. I have rights to own property, and digital property, like Bitcoin, is included in those rights.

In Texas, Bitcoin is actually strengthening the electrical grid. When there is greater demand than the grid can produce, Bitcoin miners can shut down, and do, to send power back to the grid. The ability to shut down power needs with the flick of a switch is unique to the BTC mining industry. When the grid is in full use, BTC miners are paying into the grid, making it stronger and more beneficial to the community it serves, all while supporting local communities with higher tax revenues.

Money must have a cost to be sound. And Bitcoin is sound money.

So no argument here on BTC’s energy use, BTC does require a strong energy infrastructure, and pays for it, to the benefit of the communities where they operate.

Not following this logic.

-jk

I disagree that BTC can be stopped. Governments cannot halt Bitcoin transactions, unless they shut down the internet. Bitcoin does not need an exchange, governments, or banks to exist. It just needs the internet.
    I just told you how a government in your dystopian world would do it without shutting down the internet. It would be trivial and such a government wouldn’t blink an eye doing it. Even a peer to peer Bitcoin transactions REQUIRES you to use miners and nodes. It’s not like I give you a $100 bill which is true peer to peer. It’s fine if you chose to ignore that fact. It doesn’t make the fact go away.

For the first time in history we have a digital property individual’s can own and keep securely on their phone.
    No. You do not keep BTC on your phone or wallet (hardware or software). You keep keys. BTC “lives” on the blockchain. You cut access to just the blockchain and you cut off all BTC transactions. It would be like having keys to your boat but your boat being in the Gobi.

I would like to know what instability you see in banking in the US or UK or Europe or India or Canada. Maybe then I can see your perspective.

When the grid is in full use, BTC miners are paying into the grid, making it stronger and more beneficial to the community it serves, all while supporting local communities with higher tax revenues.
    TX has a very unique and very fragile power grid. It’s self contained meaning that they can’t import or export power to other grids. Unlike South Carolina, where I pay a set price per kilowatt hour, in TX you can chose to do that or have a variable rate that depends on the demand. There is a spot price on electricity. When those miners are running it increases the demand and thus the price for everyone on that plan. They are actually making the price of electricity MORE for the community. That’s a negative externality. There is no benefit to the community just to energy traders like defunct Enron. (I think we would actually share an opinion on those guys.) In the summer (and now the winter too) the spot prices are spiking due to cooling (and heating). Those miners aren’t shutting down because of altruism. They are shutting down because the power costs too much. They fire back up in the evening when it’s cheaper but that again raises the spot price making it more expensive for regular Texans. In no way shape of form is it strengthening the grid. The grid, at least there, would be better off without them.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 07-13-2022 at 12:47 AM.

In Texas, Bitcoin is actually strengthening the electrical grid. When there is greater demand than the grid can produce, Bitcoin miners can shut down, and do, to send power back to the grid. The ability to shut down power needs with the flick of a switch is unique to the BTC mining industry. When the grid is in full use, BTC miners are paying into the grid, making it stronger and more beneficial to the community it serves, all while supporting local communities with higher tax revenues.

So no argument here on BTC’s energy use, BTC does require a strong energy infrastructure, and pays for it, to the benefit of the communities where they operate.
    Totally disagree! Texas was within minutes of losing electricity for weeks, maybe even a month, February 2021. BTC’s energy use was more than ERCOT budgeted and a significant part of the reason many people died. Texas has a weak energy infrastructure and this has been well known during BTC’s entire existence.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Not following this logic.

-jk
    Logic?

We see things differently. It’s not paranoia and fear mongering, it’s reality. There is a lot of instability in banking around the world, and I see more government overreach all the time.

{snip}

You are correct on crypto exchanges, many are lightly regulated, or unregulated altogether, and a dangerous place to store digital assets, as of now.
    People need to control their own assets in cold storage wallets, at least until we have better regulations and FDIC insurance.
    See, these two are incompatible.

The FDIC and protective regulations are (fairly successful) attempts by the government to protect investors from pure capitalism. And they are intended to promote confidence in their own U.S. banking system.

When will the guys who run Bitcoin decide to set up deposit insurance to protect their investors?

(Yeah, I know)

Uh-oh, crypto is crashing after this morning's CPI data showed inflation in the US is not easing up at all. Bitcoin fell like $800 in a matter of minutes and was briefly trading below $19,000. Bitcoin is down more than 11% over the past 5 days of trading.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitco...dips-under-19k
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?