Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke vs. Florida Atlantic Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

Note that the game is this Friday, Nov 15th, at 7 pm. Looks like it will be shown on ESPN3 and on the Blue Devil Network.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Obviously not the same quality opponent we just faced in Chicago but it will be interesting to see what changes (if any) K makes after last night's loss.

I'm just happy the game is starting at 7 instead of 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Obviously not the same quality opponent we just faced in Chicago but it will be interesting to see what changes (if any) K makes after last night's loss.
    I can't see there being any major changes this early in the season after a loss to a team just as talented in a game that could've gone either way. It's only Game #3, which means most teams are focused on getting better at what they've been doing. I do think Sulaimon will probably be in the starting lineup pretty soon, but if not, he would still play more minutes than Thornton and it would just mean that Coach K prefers Sheed off the bench for now.

Next few games, all 12 players should see action since the opponents are weak. I'm personally hoping to see MP3 play really well as part of his case for more playing time, although most of his case will be made by improving in practice behind the scenes, of course.

Would also like to see Matt Jones start to shoot the ball well to match his high school reputation. That, along with his defense that's already in place, will help him get more minutes against high-quality opponents like Kansas. If Sheed goes into the starting lineup as expected, Matt needs to become the offensive punch off the bench.

And generally speaking, would like to see the guys start to improve their team defense -- improved switching and improved big man help on opponent drives.

My wishlist for the next few games:

1. We need to learn how to play defense within these new rules. If we can limit our fouls to 20 or fewer per game, it will be a good sign that we've learned to play within this system going forward. (for reference, we committed 29 fouls against Kansas) Also, what happened to full court or 3/4 court pressure? Did we already abandon that gameplan? We need to take advantage of our personnel's strength in the transition game, so hopefully we get back to the plan and pressure ballhandlers and get into those passing lanes.

2. I want to see Cook dominate a game. Not necessarily as a scorer, but I want to see him really take a defense apart with his passing, and really pressure the ball well. A 10 assist game with very few turnovers and a couple of steals would be really encouraging. He's a junior now, it's time for him to start really asserting himself.

3. I want to see Parker close out a game strong. He's still yet to show that he can go full out for an entire game. Even at CTC, he looked like he was out of gas in the 2nd scrimmage, and he missed all of his dunks in the dunk contest. Get in better shape, we need him to be 100% late in games.

4. I want to see Ojeleye make a serious case for some playing time. I get that Hairston is our first "big" off the bench, but I just think Semi has all the tools to be the 7th or 8th guy in the rotation. He's quick, jumps high, stronger than anyone else we have, and has unlimited energy. At least defensively, his potential is as good as anyone we have. Taking charges no longer seems to be a viable strategy. We need guys who can move their feet and challenge shots without fouling. Hairston is the opposite of that.

5. Can we get Andre Dawkins sighting? I sure do miss that silky smooth stroke from deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I can't see there being any major changes this early in the season after a loss to a team just as talented in a game that could've gone either way. It's only Game #3, which means most teams are focused on getting better at what they've been doing. I do think Sulaimon will probably be in the starting lineup pretty soon, but if not, he would still play more minutes than Thornton and it would just mean that Coach K prefers Sheed off the bench for now.

Next few games, all 12 players should see action since the opponents are weak. I'm personally hoping to see MP3 play really well as part of his case for more playing time, although most of his case will be made by improving in practice behind the scenes, of course.

Would also like to see Matt Jones start to shoot the ball well to match his high school reputation. That, along with his defense that's already in place, will help him get more minutes against high-quality opponents like Kansas. If Sheed goes into the starting lineup as expected, Matt needs to become the offensive punch off the bench.

And generally speaking, would like to see the guys start to improve their team defense -- improved switching and improved big man help on opponent drives.
    I'm concerned with Matt Jones's shooting form. It looks like he's shooting the ball on the way up with more of a push motion. Players like this are prone to be inconsistent in college basketball. GoDuke!

Quick Question. I got the one one months sub to the Blue Devil network so I could watch the exhibition games. I also went and got the Duke app so it would be easier acess. It is saying that there is only audio for this game. Is that right?? Like most Americans I can't acess ESPN3 or whatever they call it now, because my internet provider isn't one of the 5 that can view it. I am starting to get real bummed

My first game in Cameron

Can't wait!!! GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    Quick Question. I got the one one months sub to the Blue Devil network so I could watch the exhibition games. I also went and got the Duke app so it would be easier acess. It is saying that there is only audio for this game. Is that right?? Like most Americans I can't acess ESPN3 or whatever they call it now, because my internet provider isn't one of the 5 that can view it. I am starting to get real bummed
    Live sports is all Big Cable has left for leverage. They'll milk it for everything they can.

Otherwise, there are all sorts of virus-laden bootleg streaming sites out there - be careful!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    I'm just happy the game is starting at 7 instead of 10:30.
    i wish the game was starting at 10:30……I've got date night…
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i wish the game was starting at 10:30……I've got date night…
    Duke Basketball in Cameron is perfectly acceptable for date night. My wife might disagree, but she can disagree on the way home from the game.

If you are not attending the game in person, a sports bar could also be an acceptable location for date night.

Loss to a tough opponent? Check

A few players with chips on their shoulder (Cook, Hood)? Check

Playing at home? Check

Players dying to prove themselves (Murphy, Andre, MP3)? Check

I don't want to be Florida Atlantic on Friday. Had Duke beat Kansas, Duke would still be favored, but at least Duke wouldn't have red in their eyes.

Now, oh boy. Ohhhhhhhhhhh boy.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Loss to a tough opponent? Check

A few players with chips on their shoulder (Cook, Hood)? Check

Playing at home? Check

Players dying to prove themselves (Murphy, Andre, MP3)? Check

I don't want to be Florida Atlantic on Friday. Had Duke beat Kansas, Duke would still be favored, but at least Duke wouldn't have red in their eyes.

Now, oh boy. Ohhhhhhhhhhh boy.
    I could tell in Jabari's post game he was seriously agitated about losing. It might get ugly... for Florida Atlantic that is... you know

Hey jv001, I was concerned with Rivers form until he hit "the shot".

I'm in need of some clarifications...I'm a subscriber of BDN, but there will only be audio available for this game? I thought they covered all Games that are not televised with video and audio? I don't consider ESPN3 "television". I will be working a little later Friday night and will not be able to watch it live, so i was anticipating on catching the full replay on BDN, but that's apparently not an Option. Will the ESPN3 replay be available immediately after the original broadcast?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Will the ESPN3 replay be available immediately after the original broadcast?
    Last season, it usually seemed to be available around an hour after the game ended, but that wasn't a hard-and-fast rule.

I have DirecTV. Seems that our game will not be on any channel.

It's going to broadcast live on ESPN3, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I get that Hairston is our first "big" off the bench, but I just think Semi has all the tools to be the 7th or 8th guy in the rotation. He's quick, jumps high, stronger than anyone else we have, and has unlimited energy. At least defensively, his potential is as good as anyone we have. Taking charges no longer seems to be a viable strategy. We need guys who can move their feet and challenge shots without fouling. Hairston is the opposite of that.
    I'd like to give Plumlee more minutes. I know he still plays a bit like a bull in a china shop, but he's also the only player on our roster who can protect the rim. Assuming the NCAA gets their way and drivers can get into the paint whenever they want, having shot blockers is going to become even more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
    I'd like to give Plumlee more minutes. I know he still plays a bit like a bull in a china shop, but he's also the only player on our roster who can protect the rim. Assuming the NCAA gets their way and drivers can get into the paint whenever they want, having shot blockers is going to become even more valuable.
    Agreed, he's also a better option than Hairston at this point, but with Plumlee, you have to worry about him being a walking turnover on the offensive end. He's got size working to his advantage, though, and if he could just calm down a bit, he could be really good. I think he takes being an energy guy WAY too seriously.