Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    ... It may end up being a positive for downtown bars/strip clubs/restaurants/hotels as many Cobb commuters may give up and spend the night downtown.
    Sometimes I get books on CD from the library to help w/ a commute. I never really thought of the whole "hell, let's hit some strip clubs, grab a meal out, and spend the night in a hotel" alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Sometimes I get books on CD from the library to help w/ a commute. I never really thought of the whole "hell, let's hit some strip clubs, grab a meal out, and spend the night in a hotel" alternative.
    Yeah, ummm, I think my wife might have a problem if I did this on a regular basis. "Hi, Honey. The traffic getting home was really bad today so instead of joining you and the kids for dinner I'm going to get a T-Bone at Tailfeathers and spend the night at the Westin."

-Jason "I think the impact on commutes is going to be minimal" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, ummm, I think my wife might have a problem if I did this on a regular basis. "Hi, Honey. The traffic getting home was really bad today so instead of joining you and the kids for dinner I'm going to get a T-Bone at Tailfeathers and spend the night at the Westin."

-Jason "I think the impact on commutes is going to be minimal" Evans
    So, you're saying that this may be the reason I sleep on the couch on the nights that I do make it home? Hadn't thought of that.

As promised, a couple of days late, I have posted my extended thoughts on this matter and they can be found here if anyone is interested. I would love to hear feedback, questions, whatever.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    As promised, a couple of days late, I have posted my extended thoughts on this matter and they can be found here if anyone is interested. I would love to hear feedback, questions, whatever.
    Heartfelt and sincere, well done wilson. I'm far from a Braves fan, but I sympathize with you, and I completely get your intent not to support the team. Your portrayal of metro Atlanta is fascinating.

I love visiting MLB stadiums across the country for games. Next year I plan to finish the full 30 and make up my ballpark rankings. Turner Field is one of the last places I haven't been to yet.

a thoughtful piece to be sure, and I'm sorry you won't be pulling for the home town team anymore. However, it is generally accepted that the useful life of a stadium is 20 years. Atlanta was given an option to make improvements to Turner Field and refused (I don't know how or why it needs improving, but apparently it does to keep up to par). The Braves got an offer from Cobb that was tremendous, and will allow them (rather than the city) to own the surrounding parking. If driving is a necessity, the team wants that revenue. Maybe if the city had been more responsible and put in that MARTA stop, we wouldn't be having this issue. It seems you should be upset with the city for not making the commitment to the team. Unfortunately the Braves are saddled with one of the worst TV deals in the country, and need to find revenue where it is available.

I was born ITP, I grew up ITP, and, since moving back to Atlanta, not only have I lived ITP, but I have lived in the Atlanta Public School district. I love this city more than words can describe, and the Braves have always been a huge part of my life. I attended games as a 5, 6 and 7 year old with my father in the late 80s when the Braves were a joke. I was at the old Fulton County Stadium when Sid slid. I was there in '95 when we won the World series, and I will be there in 2017 when the team opens a new stadium. I don't begrudge the team for moving ... its not like they pulled a Baltimore Colts and left town under the cover of darkness. They are moving and trying to make themselves more accessible to a majority of their fans, that's all.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    However, it is generally accepted that the useful life of a stadium is 20 years.
    According to what? Are Jacobs Field, Camden Yards, and Coors Field all on the way out?

No comment on the Trop...

They are moving and trying to make themselves more accessible to a majority of their fans, that's all.
    I think there is another motive for the move -- money. Oooooh! Wow! Jason uncovers the dirty truth behind sports!

Seriously, we all know that this Cobb deal will likely end up being more lucrative for the Braves. That's the primary driver here. And I am thrilled! More money for the Braves means they will have the ability to spend a bit more on free agents or on retaining their homegrown talent. If this move allows the team to increase its annual payroll from the $90 million range to the $100 million range, that would be a great thing!

-Jason "all about the winning!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think there is another motive for the move -- money. Oooooh! Wow! Jason uncovers the dirty truth behind sports!

Seriously, we all know that this Cobb deal will likely end up being more lucrative for the Braves. That's the primary driver here. And I am thrilled! More money for the Braves means they will have the ability to spend a bit more on free agents or on retaining their homegrown talent. If this move allows the team to increase its annual payroll from the $90 million range to the $100 million range, that would be a great thing!

-Jason "all about the winning!" Evans
    Ability is not a guarantee, though. Not sure why we shouldn't expect Liberty Media to keep the new revenue streams for themselves.

...it is generally accepted that the useful life of a stadium is 20 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    According to what? Are Jacobs Field, Camden Yards, and Coors Field all on the way out?

No comment on the Trop...
    Yeah, I've got to agree with Dev11 on this one. I certainly don't accept 20 years as a reasonable shelf life for a building costing hundreds of millions, and if we do find that acceptable, then I submit that there's something (else) seriously wrong with our country (which is kind of one of the points of my piece).

Yeah, I've got to agree with Dev11 on this one. I certainly don't accept 20 years as a reasonable shelf life for a building costing hundreds of millions, and if we do find that acceptable, then I submit that there's something (else) seriously wrong with our country (which is kind of one of the points of my piece).
    Not saying I do or don't agree with that assertion, I am just giving the stats generally trotted out. That was the same argument given for the Dome. Personally, I think the TED is a great venue and still strikes me as a modern and fun stadium. I'm not really sure what the "required updates" that were going to cost $300 mm were, but thats what was discussed. Perhaps more luxury suites.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Ability is not a guarantee, though. Not sure why we shouldn't expect Liberty Media to keep the new revenue streams for themselves.
    I am not aware of them seeming like a greedy ownership group that pinches pennies. I would imagine that if the new stadium resulted in $20 mil more revenue every year, there would be a decent chance they would sink about half of that into payroll.

-Jason "if Liberty were owned by Jeffrey Louria, I'd feel differently" Evans

Update on White Flight Field, with early concept sketches.

If you thought your baseball experience was incomplete with a trip to the Cheesecake Factory, Atlanta has the ballpark for you.

If you thought your baseball experience was incomplete with a trip to the Cheesecake Factory, Atlanta has the ballpark for you.
    A total of 30,000 parking spaces would be located within two miles,

two miles?!?!?

"Cobb County is a very progressive county" is quite possibly the most laughable sentence I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    two miles?!?!?
    Actually, parking will be available for more than two miles, as I-285 and I-75 will become even more of a parking lot.

Question is, will they allow you to leave your vehicle on the Interstate while you attend the game? Might be a good business venture to get a push cart for going car door-to-door selling snacks and beverages.

It has been stated that there are plans to ease the traffic flow for the new stadium. Yep, I believe that, since they have already done such a wonderful job with traffic flow all throughout the Atlanta Area.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I-285 and I-75 will become even more of a parking lot.
    See, just leave your car on the Interstate. Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    two miles?!?!?
    Apparently there are going to be Disney World-style trams ferrying people from parking lots around the area, so that should work out.

"Cobb County is a very progressive county" is quite possibly the most laughable sentence I have ever read.
    Yeah, that cracked me up too. Must not mean that in the political sense.

Clearly.

Apparently there are going to be Disney World-style trams ferrying people from parking lots around the area, so that should work out.
    "Goofy 501"