Jerry Jones is the Worst GM in the NFL

It's tough to be a Cowboys fan with Jerry Jones as the GM. All he does is destroy any chance for his own team to be a superbowl contender. Exhibit A: Firing Rob Ryan, one of the best defensive coordinators in the league for absolutely no reason other than "someone needs to take the fall for us not making the playoffs."

No the Cowboys have one of the WORST defensive units in the league, the Saints Defense has made the biggest turnaround of any team from last year to this year, and the Cowboys are getting embarassed on Sunday Night Football on both sides of the ball. Through 3 quarters, their defense has allowed 5 touchdowns and their offense has put up fewer than 200 yards on the Ryan-led Saints D.

Great job, Jerry. You sabotaged your own team. Again. Just hire a GM, you damn egomaniac.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Great job, Jerry. You sabotaged your own team. Again. Just hire a GM, you damn egomaniac.
    Jerry Jones is the new Al Davis.
    Bob Green

To play devil's advocate (and I'm a Steelers' fan so I have no dog in this fight), the Saints defense was pretty horrid last year so they didn't really have anywhere to go but up. It's not just Rob Ryan though, they have Payton back this year and the ship seems to have been righted.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    To play devil's advocate (and I'm a Steelers' fan so I have no dog in this fight), the Saints defense was pretty horrid last year so they didn't really have anywhere to go but up. It's not just Rob Ryan though, they have Payton back this year and the ship seems to have been righted.
    As a Browns fan, I can tell you from 1st hand experience that Rob Ryan isn't as great as he appears right now. His MO is that for the 1st year, his D is pretty effective, but then it gets figured out. His "act" gets old with his players and Mgmt, too, and he moves on.

There's a reason why he's moved from team to team and never been given a HC opportunity.

Now as far as Jerry Jones goes, he's a great owner and a bad GM. The sad thing is, nothing that happens in Dallas will change the power structure for the foreseeable future. Jones has no one to answer to and to hold him accountable. It's hopeless, which is sad for those fans.

how many points did the D score last night?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I just really needed to rant. It's just been tough being a cowboys fans lately. I still think we should make the playoffs this year considering how terrible the NFC East is, but I wouldn't be even a bit surprised if we somehow screw it up again. And even if we do, I'm sure we will once again get murdered by Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, or Colin Kaepernick in the first round. That defense is just an abomination, and now our best defender, Sean Lee is out with a hammy.

Still a believer in Romo though, he's way better than guys like Eli and Flacco. He just doesn't have the type of defense and running game those guys had when they won their superbowls.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Now as far as Jerry Jones goes, he's a great owner and a bad GM. The sad thing is, nothing that happens in Dallas will change the power structure for the foreseeable future. Jones has no one to answer to and to hold him accountable. It's hopeless, which is sad for those fans.
    It will eventually make a difference. In Washington, Snyder was the worst owner in football, except for his willingness to spend money. But nothing was done professionally, and the decisions made were stupid. What was it? $50 million for Albert Haynsworth, who refused to play in the Skins defense once it changed to a 3-4? And there was enough money that he never had to work again, which was fine with Fat Albert, inasmuch as he had little interest in working as a football player.

An open revolt in the fan base led to the hiring of the Shanahans. George Allen's son Bruce is the GM, more or less reporting to the control freak, Mike Shanahan. As Feinstein correctly (for once) observed, if Mike Shanahan taught a course on political maneuvering, Machiavelli would enroll. It is not clear that Mike Shanahan is the answer, but -- at least -- two-time GM Vinny Cerutti and dumb advisor Pepper Rodgers have disappeared from view.

And Mike S.'c communication skills are dreadful -- he squirms around every topic and even sounds like he's lying when he's actually telling the truth.

Anyway, life as a Redskin fan is not especially sweet these days. The next point of friction is that RG III is Snyder's choice more than Shanahan's, and he gave up a passel of first round picks, limiting future options. If RG III turns out to be less than an all-star over the next couple of years, Shanahan may want to try someone else. Hmmmm....

Anyway, back to the OP's topic, Jerry Jones will at some point have to listen to the fans.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It will eventually make a difference. In Washington, Snyder was the worst owner in football, except for his willingness to spend money. But nothing was done professionally, and the decisions made were stupid. What was it? $50 million for Albert Haynsworth, who refused to play in the Skins defense once it changed to a 3-4? And there was enough money that he never had to work again, which was fine with Fat Albert, inasmuch as he had little interest in working as a football player.

An open revolt in the fan base led to the hiring of the Shanahans. George Allen's son Bruce is the GM, more or less reporting to the control freak, Mike Shanahan. As Feinstein correctly (for once) observed, if Mike Shanahan taught a course on political maneuvering, Machiavelli would enroll. It is not clear that Mike Shanahan is the answer, but -- at least -- two-time GM Vinny Cerutti and dumb advisor Pepper Rodgers have disappeared from view.

And Mike S.'c communication skills are dreadful -- he squirms around every topic and even sounds like he's lying when he's actually telling the truth.

Anyway, life as a Redskin fan is not especially sweet these days. The next point of friction is that RG III is Snyder's choice more than Shanahan's, and he gave up a passel of first round picks, limiting future options. If RG III turns out to be less than an all-star over the next couple of years, Shanahan may want to try someone else. Hmmmm....

Anyway, back to the OP's topic, Jerry Jones will at some point have to listen to the fans.

sagegrouse
    To be honest, I'd kill for for a head coach or a who at least has some kind of voice. Shanny has a superbowl ring, and that gives him at least some kind of pull within the organization. Heck, even RGIII has a voice in the organization. He may not always say the right thing in press conferences, and he may not always get along with Shanny, but at least those guys' opinions are heard, and they matter within the organization. Jason Garrett is the definition of a puppet, with all his strings attached to Jerry's fingers. I bet if Jerry thought he could get away with coaching the team as well, he'd do that, too.

Romo is a wonderfully talented quarterback, but he doesn't have the type of forceful personality that could sway Jerry on his decisions, unlike Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning. It's an organization that's full of yes men all nodding their heads to the boss, who does what he pleases. The fans' pleas have fallen on deaf ears for years and years. It's like BluDevilBrowns said, it's hopeless

To be honest, I'd kill for for a head coach or a who at least has some kind of voice. Shanny has a superbowl ring, and that gives him at least some kind of pull within the organization.
    You say that like Jerry Jones has ever listened to coaches who did have superbowl rings, instead of firing them to just to prove he could.

I nominate Jeff Ireland for worst GM in the league. How this guy continues to have a job, I don't know. The Dolphins' roster continues to have holes all over it, he makes terrible decisions on where/how to spend money on free agents, the drafting has been lousy -- they just wasted another top 5 pick on a DE from Oregon who rarely gets on the field -- just bad all around. The owner is terrible too, but Ireland has got to go.

Jones is a problem for a lot of reasons, but at least he puts a talented team on the field, a competitive team, most seasons. Which is way more than Dolphins fans have had for most of the last 15 years. If he was dead, Don Shula would be turning over in his grave to see what this franchise has become.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I nominate Jeff Ireland for worst GM in the league. How this guy continues to have a job, I don't know. The Dolphins' roster continues to have holes all over it, he makes terrible decisions on where/how to spend money on free agents, the drafting has been lousy -- they just wasted another top 5 pick on a DE from Oregon who rarely gets on the field -- just bad all around. The owner is terrible too, but Ireland has got to go.
    Come on. Who else is going to ask prospective draft picks if their mothers were prostitutes? He's just saying what NO ONE is thinking!

I nominate Jeff Ireland for worst GM in the league. How this guy continues to have a job, I don't know. The Dolphins' roster continues to have holes all over it, he makes terrible decisions on where/how to spend money on free agents, the drafting has been lousy -- they just wasted another top 5 pick on a DE from Oregon who rarely gets on the field -- just bad all around. The owner is terrible too, but Ireland has got to go. ...
    And his sister Kathy is a better football player:

media-8282569992111331516-882311_necessaryroughness_studio_2048x1024_v201308011922_2048x1024_247.jpg

It's tough to be a Cowboys fan with Jerry Jones as the GM. All he does is destroy any chance for his own team to be a superbowl contender. Exhibit A: Firing Rob Ryan, one of the best defensive coordinators in the league for absolutely no reason other than "someone needs to take the fall for us not making the playoffs."

No the Cowboys have one of the WORST defensive units in the league, the Saints Defense has made the biggest turnaround of any team from last year to this year, and the Cowboys are getting embarassed on Sunday Night Football on both sides of the ball. Through 3 quarters, their defense has allowed 5 touchdowns and their offense has put up fewer than 200 yards on the Ryan-led Saints D.

Jerry Jones himself respectfully disagrees with your assessment. He provided a self-evaluation and passed with flying colors!

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...best-job-years

"The facts are I really do think, the way things have rolled out, I'm getting to do some of the best work that I've done, relatively speaking in my career, over these last several years," Jones said Friday morning on KRLD-FM.
    Jones had no comment on whether his plastic surgeon has also been doing his best work in the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Jerry Jones himself respectfully disagrees with your assessment. He provided a self-evaluation and passed with flying colors!

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...best-job-years

Jones had no comment on whether his plastic surgeon has also been doing his best work in the past few years.
    JJ wants to continue for 15-20 more years. Fine by me. I hate the 'boys for calling themselves "America's team." 20 more years of near mediocrity would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    JJ wants to continue for 15-20 more years. Fine by me. I hate the 'boys for calling themselves "America's team." 20 more years of near mediocrity would be perfect.
    Twenty would put him at about ninety. I wish him luck, but he's male, and we have a shorter shelf life than dames do, and Davis didn't make it that long.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I nominate Jeff Ireland for worst GM in the league. How this guy continues to have a job, I don't know.
    Jeff Ireland update: He departed from the Dolphins last January, but has popped up again with Seattle as a pre-draft consultant. I imagine that job pretty much requires him to interview potential draftees and ask the hard questions.

No confirmation yet, but I imagine that once the NFL Draft is over the Seahawks will slide him over to the position of Russell Wilson's dating advisor. Someone has to uncover the gold diggers and other women of ill repute, and who better, right?

I just saw the movie "Draft Day."

The funniest thing about it was that Denis Leary's character kept reminiscing fondly on his time coaching Dallas, saying it was a place where he had a high level of input as a coach. Also, he won a Super Bowl ring there.

The guys on Around the Horn made a great point a couple of months ago: If Jerry Jones, the GM, were anyone else, then Jerry Jones, the owner would have fired him long ago.
    Last edited by 1999ballboy; 04-26-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    I just saw the movie "Draft Day."

The funniest thing about it was that Denis Leary's character kept reminiscing fondly on his time coaching Dallas, saying it was a place where he had a high level of input as a coach. Also, he won a Super Bowl ring there.

The guys on Around the Horn made a great point a couple of months ago: If Jerry Jones, the GM, were anyone else, then Jerry Jones, the owner would have fired him long ago.
    I was thinking the same thing, ballboy. Then this thought would run through my head, Jimmy's hair looks terrible in this flick.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan I agree that JJ is a terrible GM and I'd rather have Parcells or J. Johnson as GM. Or Gruden.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    As a lifelong Cowboys fan I agree that JJ is a terrible GM and I'd rather have Parcells or J. Johnson as GM. Or Gruden.
    And, to add fuel to this inferno, if CNNSI is correct Dallas is going all out to get Johnny football. Last I knew, and I realize Romo just had back surgery, last season's defense was one of the worst EVER. Can Manziel go both ways?