Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

FB: Duke vs. Miami, Nov. 16 @ 3:30P

Duke hosts the U. Miami is a slight favorite (3-4.5 points) in a truly meaningful mid-November game for the Devils.

Comments please.

We are looking for improvement in the passing offense over the VT and State games and a return to season averages or better.

Code:
    Game	cmp.	att	int	yds	 yds/att 
    VT	7	26	4	107	 4.12 
    NCS	20	34	3	198	 5.82 
    Season	184	293	15	2191	 7.48 
    Oppon	156	278	12	1976	 7.11
    sagegrouse

While it was pleasing to listen to how VT worked over Miami yesterday, it remains to be seen how that outcome will influence Miami's game next Saturday... I'm hoping that whatever mindset the Miami team has, that our guys will continue to be focused. The staff has an important role in helping the team deal with success while preparing for the next challenge. Good defense will be a key.

The weather was a huge factor in the Miami-VT game, I do not take a lot of solice in VT's win. Miami is a dangerous, proud, and talented team.

We really need to be sharp in all three phases of the game, and from the opening gun.

AND we need a big crowd. Send our seniors off with a big show of thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The weather was a huge factor in the Miami-VT game, I do not take a lot of solice in VT's win. Miami is a dangerous, proud, and talented team.

We really need to be sharp in all three phases of the game, and from the opening gun.

Coaching will have a huge impact on the game, a factor in Duke's favor. When is the last time we were able to say that?

Duke plays a lot of young players, and they are getting better game by game.

I only hope that home field is an advantage. Come on Crazies!

Wow, to only be 3.5 point underdogs (trending towards 3) to "The U," Duke football has come a long way.

We have a chance if the offense returns to previous norms. QB play must improve.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Coaching will have a huge impact on the game, a factor in Duke's favor. When is the last time we were able to say that?
    !
    Certainly against State! And Virginia, for that matter.

REALLY agree on the need for big student turnout!

Yes and no regarding the weather. VT was hot and took advantage of Miami's errors. I listened to the Hurricane network as I drove back from Durham. The missed blocking and poor coverage were mental lapses absent from previous Miami games. Miami made many mistakes, not likely to be repeated. VT also played one of their better games of the year.

I agree that Duke needs to play their best in all phases of the game beginning with the kickoff.

Maybe there will be another big pep rally on campus this week! Enthusiasm in the stands can't be created by the uninspired Jumbotron.

Coming down from NYC for the football game this weekend! Can't wait to be back home at Wallace Wade! Lookinging forward to being part of a sellout crowd making some noise!

The offense must play much better against the 'Canes. We cannot turn the ball over four times and expect not to pay the price. The defense has been remarkable and they will need to be remarkable once again. Even without Duke Johnson, Miami is a strong running team who can punish us if we do hold our own at the line of scrimmage. We need to force the 'Canes into passing situations and then pressure Stephen Morris who has thrown 10 interceptions this season. We sacked State QBs three times. Kelby Brown had a huge sack on a blitz. Achieving blitz success against Miami would go along way toward slowing down their offense.

Is it Saturday yet?
    Bob Green

Gotta have better production from the QB spot to win against the Canes (of course, one might have said the same thing vs VaTech and NCSU, and Duke managed to prevail)

It's hard to reconcile the Boone performances the last 2 weeks vs what we saw against Navy
    31-38
    0 interceptions
    295 yards
    3 TDs

Still think Boone gives us the best chance to win, but good to have Connette available

Miami will want to pressure our QB
    May be able to run the ball and use backs for screens or short passes

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Easily the best shot we have at defeating the Hurricanes since forever, but that doesn't mean it will be easy. Our QB situation will be interesting, and I'm sure that both Boone and Connette will be going hard in practice and the film room this week. I agree with people thinking that if Boone does not produce early, bring in Connette. That being said, I have faith that Anthony can find his way. And what a blessing Devon Edwards turned out to be. Just when teams lick their lips with the thoughts of Ross Cockrell being a bit banged up, Edwards steps in and makes them think twice. Twice! In 26 seconds!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Yes and no regarding the weather. VT was hot and took advantage of Miami's errors. I listened to the Hurricane network as I drove back from Durham. The missed blocking and poor coverage were mental lapses absent from previous Miami games. Miami made many mistakes, not likely to be repeated. VT also played one of their better games of the year.

I agree that Duke needs to play their best in all phases of the game beginning with the kickoff.

Maybe there will be another big pep rally on campus this week! Enthusiasm in the stands can't be created by the uninspired Jumbotron.
    The best sound system outside of a Rolling Stones concert needs to be dialed back. That thing discourages crowd participation. I think the crowd could have held their own and been a better inspiration for the Blue Devils.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ...Just when teams lick their lips with the thoughts of Ross Cockrell being a bit banged up, Edwards steps in and makes them think twice.
    Is there any word on Cockrell's availability for the Miami game? A tandem of two corners to be reckoned with would be quite a luxury against the 'Canes (or anybody else for that matter). Not a lot of teams can field two potential stars in their secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The best sound system outside of a Rolling Stones concert needs to be dialed back. That thing discourages crowd participation. I think the crowd could have held their own and been a better inspiration for the Blue Devils.
    For all the talk of excellence in all things, our Jumbotron and how it's programmed aren't even the best for that genre of communicating and entertaining. The one on Scott Stadium (UVa), for example, is far better and used more effectively. The music used and well as the videos were terribly familiar since IMG manages the Cavalier brand, too.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Is there any word on Cockrell's availability for the Miami game? A tandem of two corners to be reckoned with would be quite a luxury against the 'Canes (or anybody else for that matter). Not a lot of teams can field two potential stars in their secondary.
    Don't forget Jeremy Cash. He and Cockrell have been the most consistent DBs this year, although I'll take Edwards's State performance any week.

FWIW I can report that the volume of sound from the obnoxious scoreboard HAS been reduced SOME...from ear-splittingly painful down to just
    severely loud.

Note: the incessant advertising pitches from the PA announcer is so cheesy, crappy and annoying that it does detract from the pleasure of the game
    day experience. I don't want to hear about the great deals at Bob's Donut Emporium during every single stoppage in play. Silence is
    golden, PA man, please SHUT UP. Thank you. And get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    FWIW I can report that the volume of sound from the obnoxious scoreboard HAS been reduced SOME...from ear-splittingly painful down to just
    severely loud.

Note: the incessant advertising pitches from the PA announcer is so cheesy, crappy and annoying that it does detract from the pleasure of the game
    day experience. I don't want to hear about the great deals at Bob's Donut Emporium during every single stoppage in play. Silence is
    I couldn't have said it better.

I went to a college football game...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    severely loud.

...and a minor league baseball game broke out. I swear I thought I was going to see a student sumo wrestling display or a sausage race with a Devil, a Ram, a Wolf, and a Deacon.

Quote Originally Posted by bleudiable View Post
    ...and a minor league baseball game broke out. I swear I thought I was going to see a student sumo wrestling display or a sausage race with a Devil, a Ram, a Wolf, and a Deacon.
    I have thought the same thing so many times it's nauseating. Sitting in the stands Saturday evening, we had two bands there and a a packed house and they insisted on playing 5 seconds of "bumper" music between plays while the BANDS WERE TRYING TO BE COLLEGE BANDS! I understand that when the teams are warming up pre-game you need something before the band takes the field and MAYBE when the band is heading down to the field and back up before/after halftime, but it's ridiculous that they keep playing music that is 1) too short to make any sense and 2) doesn't relate to what's going on on the field. We have the band there for a reason. Another thing that gets me is that at halftime, on the jumbotron, they play that rotating logo the whole time the band is doing its thing. Why can't they simply turn on the camera on top of the press box and put that on the screen so those of us who aren't up there can see what they are doing? It might be kind of nice to see how they are moving (as an appreciator of music and marching bands). Finally, use one or both of those side bars and put the scores up from around the conference and around the country. I don't care if they think that "everyone" has smart phones and is checking them. I want to watch the game and in between plays look up at the board and see scores without having to pull out my phone. Ugh.

Rant over... and get off of my lawn!
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    I have thought the same thing so many times it's nauseating. Sitting in the stands Saturday evening, we had two bands there and a a packed house and they insisted on playing 5 seconds of "bumper" music between plays while the BANDS WERE TRYING TO BE COLLEGE BANDS! I understand that when the teams are warming up pre-game you need something before the band takes the field and MAYBE when the band is heading down to the field and back up before/after halftime, but it's ridiculous that they keep playing music that is 1) too short to make any sense and 2) doesn't relate to what's going on on the field. We have the band there for a reason. Another thing that gets me is that at halftime, on the jumbotron, they play that rotating logo the whole time the band is doing its thing. Why can't they simply turn on the camera on top of the press box and put that on the screen so those of us who aren't up there can see what they are doing? It might be kind of nice to see how they are moving (as an appreciator of music and marching bands). Finally, use one or both of those side bars and put the scores up from around the conference and around the country. I don't care if they think that "everyone" has smart phones and is checking them. I want to watch the game and in between plays look up at the board and see scores without having to pull out my phone. Ugh.

Rant over... and get off of my lawn!
    You should consider sending your suggestions to the athletics department...I think they look for anyway to make the experience better, putting butts in seats...and if they don't know what's wrong, they can't fix it.
    1200. DDMF.