Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

MLB Hot Stove League 2013-2014

Red Sox made qualifying offers to Ellsbury, Drew and Napoli. I am guessing that Napoli signs and they ink that three year deal they were going to do before this past season. Ellsbury is gone. "Experts" have him going to either Mariners/Cubs/Rangers (seems to be split) and Drew may re-sign, depending on the offers he gets. He's a Boras client so there's probably more smoke than actual fire in his case (not the biggest hitter). If Drew and Nap come back then that gives Xander time to play both third with Middlebrooks and short with Drew and have a 3-man platoon on the left side of the infield.

Not sure why they didn't make a qualifying offer to Salty.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Red Sox made qualifying offers to Ellsbury, Drew and Napoli. I am guessing that Napoli signs and they ink that three year deal they were going to do before this past season. Ellsbury is gone. "Experts" have him going to either Mariners/Cubs/Rangers (seems to be split) and Drew may re-sign, depending on the offers he gets. He's a Boras client so there's probably more smoke than actual fire in his case (not the biggest hitter). If Drew and Nap come back then that gives Xander time to play both third with Middlebrooks and short with Drew and have a 3-man platoon on the left side of the infield.

Not sure why they didn't make a qualifying offer to Salty.
    I like Salty but there is no way you can pay him 14 million, especially to back up Ross. I'm sure they will make him another offer for less money but probably only for a year or two. Might not be enough. I'm a little surprised with the Drew offer. I have to think he will take the 14 and while the platoon would be a safe move, I worry that a veteran Drew gets more PT. Time to let middlebrooks and bogaerts play. Ellsbury is definitely gone and it'll be Jackie Bradley jr time. I still think they need another outfield bat or first base if Napoli doesn't resign. They will probably make a move with their rotation as they have about 8 starters including some young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I like Salty but there is no way you can pay him 14 million, especially to back up Ross. I'm sure they will make him another offer for less money but probably only for a year or two. Might not be enough. I'm a little surprised with the Drew offer. I have to think he will take the 14 and while the platoon would be a safe move, I worry that a veteran Drew gets more PT. Time to let middlebrooks and bogaerts play. Ellsbury is definitely gone and it'll be Jackie Bradley jr time. I still think they need another outfield bat or first base if Napoli doesn't resign. They will probably make a move with their rotation as they have about 8 starters including some young guys.
    I'm relatively optimistic that Napoli will sign the offer and maybe get that longer term deal because he's said he likes it in Boston and wants to stay. I think they could start with Drew/Middlebrooks/Bogaerts next season then use Drew or Middlebrooks (preferably Drew if Middlebrooks is hitting again like he should) as trade bait. I agree about the outfield bat. Bradley Jr should be able to cover CF or shift Vic over and platoon Gomes/Carp/Nava/Bradley Jr in left and right. They do have a stocked rotation. I could see having Doubront and Morales as 6/7 starters and be able to do long relief or spot starts when needed. That makes Lester/Buch/Lack/Peavey/Dempster the probable 5. Dempster could be an odd man out, but they have him for next year locked up. Interesting to see how the set up works with the three injured closers coming back and Uehara still around.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Yankees offseason

And the Yanks made qualifying offers to Cano, Kiroda and Granderson ... but not to Hughes or Chamberlain (thank god!).

I've very happy that the Yankees took care of business by re-signing Girardi and very quietly (as opposed to last time) re-upped Mr. Jeter.

Now to hit the free agent/trade market and find a third-baseman, starting pitcher and either re-sign Cano or find another second baseman.

I don't know, but I'm hearing McCann rumors about the NYY.

Birds have offered Beltrán about $14M, but only for one year. He wants three years. I would lurrrve him to be back, but I don't think it will happen. They'll do something with the Taveras/Craig/Adams thing going on between 1B and the OF.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Now I'm reading that McCann is "fascinated" by the Red Sox and they might also be taking a look at Carlos Beltran. Seems like a couple of big targets that they just got rid of in the salary dump to the Dodgers.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Now I'm reading that McCann is "fascinated" by the Red Sox and they might also be taking a look at Carlos Beltran. Seems like a couple of big targets that they just got rid of in the salary dump to the Dodgers.
    Both rumored to be of interest to the Yanks. Pre-emptive strike by the Bosox? Not sure a smart move just to block the Yanks, but may be the reason for the looks.

Frankly, I'd love to see Carlos back with my Mets. Think he got a raw deal from the fans and press for one (non)swing.

Yanks

Agree that I read the Yanks are interested in McCann and Beltran. Also hear that they think McCann is too steep and they may bid for Saltalomachia instead.

But my understanding is that everything is in hold in New York while they wait (1) to find out if A-Roid will miss the entire or a large part of the 2014 season; and (2) whether Granderson accepts the Yankees qualifying offer to him -- one year at $14.1 million. There is some thought that because he is coming off an injury plagued season, he'll re-up for one year then hit the free agent market next year. But apparently, his agent is holding things up to see if there is a better offer out there.

The most interesting thing I've heard lately is the Braves maneuvering to get David Price. Supposedly, they would package Medlin and a few prospects.

The growing consensus among the commentariat in this neck of the corn fields is that there's no way Beltrán isn't play baseball somewhere else next season. The biggest issue is that the five guys in the 2009 draft class (featured in SI recently) will be exiting team control* gradually, and there's just not room in the budget to sign old guys long term. Beltrán is a great, great player and probably deserves something longer than a year, in the career achievement department, like Chipper or Jeter late in their careers. This isn't the franchise that's going to offer that contact. They offered him a lot of money for one year, probably as a courtesy gesture, but there's too much talent coming out of this farm to get saddled with 2016 Beltrán. I suspect the team will miss 2014 Beltrán though. I have a lot of admiration for that dude.

I suppose Olympic Fan's hatred for Carlos Beltrán will fade when he's in pinstripes. People who are full of hate are funny like that.

* - this is a really weird phrase, to me. People used to say "under contract." Now they say "under [team] control." There's probably a PPB post waiting to be made about that, about employers and employees, but I won't write it except in my head.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    People who are full of hate are funny like that.
    I'm hoping this is just teasing. Let's all be Devils together and be nice, please?

The growing consensus among the commentariat in this neck of the corn fields is that there's no way Beltrán isn't play baseball somewhere else next season. The biggest issue is that the five guys in the 2009 draft class (featured in SI recently) will be exiting team control* gradually, and there's just not room in the budget to sign old guys long term. Beltrán is a great, great player and probably deserves something longer than a year, in the career achievement department, like Chipper or Jeter late in their careers. This isn't the franchise that's going to offer that contact. They offered him a lot of money for one year, probably as a courtesy gesture, but there's too much talent coming out of this farm to get saddled with 2016 Beltrán. I suspect the team will miss 2014 Beltrán though. I have a lot of admiration for that dude.

I suppose Olympic Fan's hatred for Carlos Beltrán will fade when he's in pinstripes. People who are full of hate are funny like that.

* - this is a really weird phrase, to me. People used to say "under contract." Now they say "under [team] control." There's probably a PPB post waiting to be made about that, about employers and employees, but I won't write it except in my head.
    I've known Olympic Fan in real life for a real long time. I've always thought Olympic Fan kind of liked Carlos Beltran.

Little did I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Agree that I read the Yanks are interested in McCann and Beltran. Also hear that they think McCann is too steep and they may bid for Saltalomachia instead.

But my understanding is that everything is in hold in New York while they wait (1) to find out if A-Roid will miss the entire or a large part of the 2014 season;
    It'll probably be close to Christmas by the time a decision comes out - not sure they can reasonably wait that long.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Yahoo article on Beltran here. Another "corn field" team is looking to dump their 500 lb DH-only to free up some cash (and part-time position) for a glorious run at Mr. Beltran themselves. The other KC team couldn't get their prodigal son to return at the NFL trade deadline, maybe the other one has some guts to reel in theirs.

Not quite hot stove, but the Braves announce a new stadium for the 2017 stadium. Quite a lifespan for stadia these days.

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/399904982352134144
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Chavez

Sounds like the Yankees, expecting to be without A-Roid for most if not all of the season, are pursuing 34-year-old Eric Chavez to play third base.

The Yankees let him go last year after getting a couple of good backup years from Chavez. He played 80 games for Arizona with a .281 average and a solid .810 OPS. He's one of the best fielding third basemen in the game, but he is injury prone. He made $3 million with Arizona last season.

I'd love to pick him up.

A's sign Punto

The SF Chron reports tht the A's have signed veteran utility player and switch hitter Nick Punto. Punto played for the Dodgers last year and is 36. Signing price: $3 mil.

He will play all infield positions. Although a lifetime .248 hitter, last year he hit .306 against lefties.

I'm not sure I see an improvement here, but he is a player. As the article points out, Alberto Callaspo becomes trade bait.

Skipping and jumping hoping that Mr. Nathan joins the Tigs.

Hudson returns to the Bay

Tim Hudson agreed to a 2 year $23 million deal with the Giants. Seems like a lot of money to me but what do I know.

What will the Braves rotation look like without Hud? Will they try to sign someone or fill from within?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Tim Hudson agreed to a 2 year $23 million deal with the Giants. Seems like a lot of money to me but what do I know.

What will the Braves rotation look like without Hud? Will they try to sign someone or fill from within?
    That's a lot of money for a 38-year-old pitcher coming off surgery (at least it wasn't arm surgery). It is less than the "qualifying offer" the Braves refused to make to him out of fear he might accept it.

As for the Braves rotation, that is a real area of strength for the organization. Minor, Medlen, and Teheran are each very strong starting pitchers who are under team control. Unless the Braves make a big move for a #1 starter, they will be the anchors of the rotation going forward. Brandon Beachy, who was leading the NL in ERA until he had Tommy John surgery and missed pretty much all of 2013, will be back and may be the best starter in the rotation. Youngster Alex Wood pitched really well down the stretch and the Braves were also impressed with rookie David Hale in a couple late season starts.

-Jason "I wish Huddy the best, his locker room leadership will be missed!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Price?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That's a lot of money for a 38-year-old pitcher coming off surgery (at least it wasn't arm surgery). It is less than the "qualifying offer" the Braves refused to make to him out of fear he might accept it.

As for the Braves rotation, that is a real area of strength for the organization. Minor, Medlen, and Teheran are each very strong starting pitchers who are under team control. Unless the Braves make a big move for a #1 starter, they will be the anchors of the rotation going forward. Brandon Beachy, who was leading the NL in ERA until he had Tommy John surgery and missed pretty much all of 2013, will be back and may be the best starter in the rotation. Youngster Alex Wood pitched really well down the stretch and the Braves were also impressed with rookie David Hale in a couple late season starts.
    There have been rumors that the Braves are talking to the Rays about a deal for David Price (the Rays want to dump him before he gets too expensive). Supposedly, the Braves would offer several young players, but the package would be built around Medlin.

Is that an upgrade? I don't know. I do think Price is closer to a No. 1 starter than Medlin, but not by much. I'd have to see the whole deal to know if it was worth doing from the Braves POV.