1989 World Series Earthquake

I was only 7 when the Loma Prieta earthquake interrupted the World Series, so my memories of the event are skeletal at best. Grantland has a fantastic new piece up about the quake, with remembrances from players, broadcasters, stadium personnel, and fans who were at Candlestick Park awaiting the start of World Series Game 3. It's a great read, and I highly recommend it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-oral-history

All those people got squished in that double decker 880 freeway. On the rare occasions I'm in the eastbound lanes of stacked part of I-64 in downtown Saint Louis, I pray the New Madrid fault will hold off for another five minutes or so. It has so far.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Thanks for posting, that was a good read. A few months ago, si had an oral history of the pine tar game, which I thought was similarly interesting, if not quite as weighty.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I've never come across an oral history that wasn't engaging and readable, but this one in particular was well done. The only oddity is the timing; why celebrate its 24th anniversary? If I had to guess, I would say this was the first attempt to corral the principals for a bigger project down the line, like a theatrical documentary, or a 30 For 30 entry.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I was only 7 when the Loma Prieta earthquake interrupted the World Series, so my memories of the event are skeletal at best. Grantland has a fantastic new piece up about the quake, with remembrances from players, broadcasters, stadium personnel, and fans who were at Candlestick Park awaiting the start of World Series Game 3. It's a great read, and I highly recommend it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-oral-history
    My brother (started school in the East, but headed west and graduated from Berkeley) was at that game. Said he thought they should have gone ahead and played. Took him about 6 hours to get from Candlestick to his home in the Oakland hills.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    My brother (started school in the East, but headed west and graduated from Berkeley) was at that game. Said he thought they should have gone ahead and played. Took him about 6 hours to get from Candlestick to his home in the Oakland hills.
    I lived at the top of the Oakland hills in Montclair ln the mid 80's which sits on top of the Hayward fault. Seismologists at the time said it was more susceptible to a major earthquake than the more infamous San Andreas fault. The entire Bay area sits on faults, yikes.

My wife worked in the Transamerica Pyramid and was very pregnant with our future Duke grad and was unable to get under the desk during a 7.0 quake south of San Jose. A photographer at the SF Chronicle took two images of the top of the pyramid from the B of A building nearby that were superimposed and published the next day. I can't remember the actual distance the spire moved but it was essentially on each margin of a 5x7 photograph.
    Last edited by 77devil; 10-26-2013 at 09:36 AM.