Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina

I think I need to read it.

Question: Which translation? I will be reading on my Kindle.

Thanks

Yep, you ought to read it. But picking "which translation" is like asking DDeac "which IPA should I try?" They're all good. Just pick a penguin edition and you'll be fine. No need to overcomplicate things. A good collection of Tolstoy's short stories is also recommended, especially if the selections cover his entire lifetime.

I took a Russian lit class at Duke and it was one of my favorites. I've been reading the Russkies off and on since. And find some room for Turgenev - he's way under the radar but he holds his own with the big boys...

Cheers, Turkski
    Last edited by Turk; 10-16-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

Thanks
    When I was a senior in HS, I read the Garrett one, so I searched on that, but it seems the internet consensus has collected behind Pevear/Volokhonsky (Penguin).

If you like, I can email my Slavic professor at Duke, Edna Andrews. (Well, I only took her for Semiotics and Cognitive Linguistics. I know very little about Slavic languages, but that's what she does).

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

Thanks
    Lemme contact my son who was a Slavic languages (double/second) major at Duke and see if he has a preference.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Yep, you ought to read it. But picking "which translation" is like asking DDeac "which IPA should I try?" They're all good. Just pick a penguin edition and you'll be fine. No need to overcomplicate things. A good collection of Tolstoy's short stories is also recommended, especially if the selections cover his entire lifetime.

I took a Russian lit class at Duke and it was one of my favorites. I've been reading the Russkies off and on since. And find some room for Turgenev - he's way under the radar but he holds his own with the big boys...

Cheers, Turkski
    Nice job, Turkski, working me into a literature thread. Points for that one if I'm allowed. And, BTW, the IPA answer is "as many as you can find but not all in one night."

Yep, you ought to read it. But picking "which translation" is like asking DDeac "which IPA should I try?" They're all good. Just pick a penguin edition and you'll be fine. No need to overcomplicate things. ...
    Couldn't disagree more strongly. The Pevear/Volokhonsky translation is, in my opinion, far superior to the Constance Garnett version.

However, the superiority of the Pevear/Volokhonsky translations is much greater when reading Dostoevsky than when reading Tolstoy. That said, you should definitely get the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation.

Enjoy the read. It's a great book. I can also heartily recommend the Pevear/Volokhonsky translations of The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, and The Idiot.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The Pevear/Volokhonsky translation is, in my opinion, far superior to the Constance Garnett version.
    That's more or less what I got from my Slavic prof. So go for it.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Yep, you ought to read it. But picking "which translation" is like asking DDeac "which IPA should I try?" They're all good.
    I've had a lot of terrible IPAs. In fact, that's the scourge of beer right now. People thing they can just pour ten tons of hops into a bottle and that makes a good beer. They're not all good.

Did I get us off topic here, or did Turk?

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Sorry, I received no helpful advice from my son last PM. In fact, despite his study abroad, second/double major in Slavic languages, he didn't even read this one. Slacker.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Couldn't disagree more strongly. The Pevear/Volokhonsky translation is, in my opinion, far superior to the Constance Garnett version.

However, the superiority of the Pevear/Volokhonsky translations is much greater when reading Dostoevsky than when reading Tolstoy. That said, you should definitely get the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation.

Enjoy the read. It's a great book. I can also heartily recommend the Pevear/Volokhonsky translations of The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, and The Idiot.
    I've read all Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky and I prefer Bros Karamazov over the others though Anna Karenina would be my second choice. I bought them separately from used book stores and sold them back. I have no idea what translations I read so it could be that my judgment is colored by the translations that I read.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I've had a lot of terrible IPAs. In fact, that's the scourge of beer right now. People thing they can just pour ten tons of hops into a bottle and that makes a good beer. They're not all good.

Did I get us off topic here, or did Turk?
    There are a lot of brewers out there who think you can mask a bad beer by adding more hops. More hops does not equal better beer.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...eputation.html

This is speculative, but I think the basic problem with hops is that the pervasive overhopping is a simplistic response in the [at least] two-decade long revolt against lagers. So when people nationwide started getting interested in beer, their idea of what bad beer was was Bud Light. Then they conflated watery lawnmower beer from AB with all lagers, so it became chic only to drink other styles, primarily ales, and the clearest way to demonstrate that some ale you're peddling is "not Budwesier" is to pour a crap ton of hops in it for no reason.

It's like the Emiril approach to cuisine: smear a metric boatload of nasty garlic all over everything, and voila! Fancy cooking!

There's a place near here that has a modest selection in bottles, probably thirty or so beers. I only go there because it's proximate to the train, and they have Samichlaus and Old Rasputin. What's nauseating is that their beverage menu has an entire section for IPAs and there are six. So 20% of their selection is one style. Stop it. Put one or two of the Odell IPAs (IPA, Myrcenary, Mountain Standard) on there, because they're the best in the US, or maybe Bell's Hopslam, and move on. I'll drink anything Odell makes. They're phenomenal. Mountain Standard (their black IPA) is harder to find that the other two.

The best bar for beer in this area is International Tap House. They don't even have food, although you can order food in. They have about 500 beers, and the menu is ordered alphabetically by nation of origin, and then by state under that if it's in the US, and then by alphabetically by brewer underneath that. Only then do they tell you what style each bottle is.

Also, the Cardinals are 3-0 this postseason when I'm at iTap Central West End, including the clinching games of the NLDS and the NLCS. I think I was there when they clinched the division, too. I'm wondering how best to deploy my appearances there during the World Series. I can't go all the time.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

I'm wondering how best to deploy my appearances there during the World Series. I can't go all the time.
    Just be sure to go four times.
    Bob Green

Also, the Cardinals are 3-0 this postseason when I'm at iTap Central West End, including the clinching games of the NLDS and the NLCS. I think I was there when they clinched the division, too. I'm wondering how best to deploy my appearances there during the World Series. I can't go all the time.
    You don't have to go all the time, just four times.

-jk

I Need to Read the Book!

You know, I missed a lot by just seeing the movie. I had no idea that Karenin made his fortune as a brewer and his field of business presumably caused his breakup with Anna, who apparently detested hops.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You know, I missed a lot by just seeing the movie. I had no idea that Karenin made his fortune as a brewer and his field of business presumably caused his breakup with Anna, who apparently detested hops.

sagegrouse
    No hoppy ending I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    No hoppy ending I'm afraid.
    That barley qualifies as an on topic post for this thread. Appropriate sporks included for your sly beer reference/pun.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    There are a lot of brewers out there who think you can mask a bad beer by adding more hops. More hops does not equal better beer.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...eputation.html
    This, along with the other beer references in a thread about Anna Karenina, likely qualifies as one of the most interesting thread hijacks in DBR history. Not sure whether I'll discuss more in the Ymm, Beer thread or the fledgling IPA thread. Or both.

Well, according to stereotypes, Russians and drinking go hand-in-hand. Maybe it's not as much of a thread hijack as you think...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That barley qualifies as an on topic post for this thread.
    This thread jack leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Perhaps a little more attention should be paid to the gravity here?