Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    That was a horrible season finale. This whole season was terrible with the exception of a few minutes of a few episodes. Just horrible. I said all season that if it didn't pick up soon, I may be looking for another must-see show.
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Could not disagree more. Probably my favorite season yet, and I thought the finale was done very well. So much foreshadowing with Rick showing Carl the snare trap.
    I'm somewhere between you two.

At first I was intrigued by the split parties, but it went on too long for me.

This whole season seemed largely like a stall. Or, more accurately, like a big, long set up to the Terminus storyline season. There were definitely some worthwhile substories this season. "The Grove" was disturbing, intense, and well-done. Contrast that with the whole "I need a drink" episode, which constituted an hour of my life that I won't get back.

It really just felt like this season was largely a bunch of semi-inconsequential stuff that happens while we slowly march toward Terminus-- whereas Terminus feels like the story the writers were actually interested in telling all along.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I'm somewhere between you two.

At first I was intrigued by the split parties, but it went on too long for me.

This whole season seemed largely like a stall. Or, more accurately, like a big, long set up to the Terminus storyline season. There were definitely some worthwhile substories this season. "The Grove" was disturbing, intense, and well-done. Contrast that with the whole "I need a drink" episode, which constituted an hour of my life that I won't get back.

It really just felt like this season was largely a bunch of semi-inconsequential stuff that happens while we slowly march toward Terminus-- whereas Terminus feels like the story the writers were actually interested in telling all along.
    I think they desperately want to get a star to play the big bad in Terminus (assuming Gareth isn't it). Alternatively, or maybe also, I don't think they've fully determined what they want Terminus to be. So they can test the wind of viewer opinion/conjecture on what it should be and potentially head that direction.

Would love to see a screen shot of that room with candles to see what was on floor. Also, there was that passing shot of a bunch of bloody human bones as our "heroes" were running.

i think the separated groups went a bit too long as well…if you're going to split it up like that, the individual stories had better be more interesting than that...

i knew that rick had uttered the final line of the season when he did, and he had.. i wasn't QUITE ready for it to end, but that's the way the rotting arm drops off..)

WAAAYYYYYYYY too much meat on that grill without ANY shot of livestock, or game being tanned, or prepared...……..could be coincidence, but i don't think so….yes…that DID look like the pile of human bones as it slinked by…..

WAY too coincidental that the whole group wound up in the same box car?

I think rick's done with the gardening…….I also think that his final line is going to be OH SO true……

alas……too long to wait….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Oh, I'm sure I can find something else to fill my TV needs on Sunday night. Something called, "Game of Thrones"' which just happens to start next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I think they desperately want to get a star to play the big bad in Terminus (assuming Gareth isn't it). Alternatively, or maybe also, I don't think they've fully determined what they want Terminus to be. So they can test the wind of viewer opinion/conjecture on what it should be and potentially head that direction.

Would love to see a screen shot of that room with candles to see what was on floor. Also, there was that passing shot of a bunch of bloody human bones as our "heroes" were running.
    They showed it on talking dead afterwards. It was a bunch of names with the towns they came from, I believe. Sort of a shrine to the fallen, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23
    WAY too coincidental that the whole group wound up in the same box car?
    Probably knew it was them from Rick recognizing the watch, poncho, and riot gear. And the "questions" they were going to ask... if they asked the others those same questions, they might have been waiting for the rest of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Probably knew it was them from Rick recognizing the watch, poncho, and riot gear. And the "questions" they were going to ask... if they asked the others those same questions, they might have been waiting for the rest of the group.
    But if they figured out that they'd been together in the past, why would they want to keep them together now? If you're imprisoning people, wouldn't you want to keep friends apart to limit their ability to plan together against you?
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    But if they figured out that they'd been together in the past, why would they want to keep them together now? If you're imprisoning people, wouldn't you want to keep friends apart to limit their ability to plan together against you?
    I have no idea what the motivations of the terminus people are, but they had to know they were from the same group from the recognition of the items.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Several reasonable explanations come to mind:

A) They only have one car set up as a holding cell for prisoners.
    B) They have other cars to hold them in, but stuff happened kinda quickly there, so they just disarmed them and crammed them into that one car until they can get themselves organized and split up the prisoners.
    C) They figure that standing guard over one car instead of multiple cars is easier from an administrative point of view, freeing up other people to watch the perimeter for zombies and other possible infiltrators or to grill the mansteaks.

More likely it's because:

D) It's easier from a storytelling perspective to show that the other members of the group are being held there too.

The whole "herding them with machine guns" was among the dumber things I've seen on the show this year, and I've seen a LOT of dumb on that show this year.

[QUOTE=Lord Ash;723401]The whole "herding them with machine guns" was among the dumber things I've seen on the show this year, and I've seen a LOT of dumb on that show this year.[/Q
    The battle at the prison attracted hundreds of zombies, yet not one has been seen so far and we know they aren't far off as there were plenty at the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    whole "herding them with machine guns" was among the dumber things I've seen on the show this year, and I've seen a LOT of dumb on that show this year.
    The battle at the prison attracted hundreds of zombies, yet not one has been seen so far and we know they aren't far off as there were plenty at the tunnel.
    The Termites didn't even bother to close their gates at the front door. I wonder if they have some sort of method of keeping zombies away.

Ugh, the tunnel. Where Glen, instead of just sitting atop the rubble stabbing each zombie in the head one at a time, decided to leave his light behind and try to climb down, with the idea of sneaking past possibly more zombies in the pitch black.

Idiots. How is it hard to write a smart show?

Ugh, the tunnel. Where Glen, instead of just sitting atop the rubble stabbing each zombie in the head one at a time, decided to leave his light behind and try to climb down, with the idea of sneaking past possibly more zombies in the pitch black.

I don't know why they couldn't just go around the damn tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I don't know why they couldn't just go around the damn tunnel
    They established in dialog that it would be majorly out of the way.

That drives me crazy as well. They could either establish in dialog that they didn't have enough bullets or something, or one of those piles could collapse / flatten and leave them in the same predicament they filmed. either way, something that makes sense.

Instead, they go with illogical behavior. It's not that hard, people.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    They established in dialog that it would be majorly out of the way.
    But then the vehicle that part of the group backtracked for managed to get around the tunnel in...what...a couple hours? That ain't THAT far. It's the zombie apocalypse after all. Spending half a day to avoid a pitch black, zombie-ridden tunnel seems worth it after Glen determined Maggie wasn't one of them.

This season was awful and my girlfriend and I had to make ourselves finish it. That being said, I'm surprised it took a full 4 seasons to bring a little soylent green into the picture. I think it only took Cormac a chapter or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    But then the vehicle that part of the group backtracked for managed to get around the tunnel in...what...a couple hours? That ain't THAT far. It's the zombie apocalypse after all. Spending half a day to avoid a pitch black, zombie-ridden tunnel seems worth it after Glen determined Maggie wasn't one of them.
    I'd have to watch again, I guess I missed that. That is pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

This season was awful and my girlfriend and I had to make ourselves finish it. That being said, I'm surprised it took a full 4 seasons to bring a little soylent green into the picture. I think it only took Cormac a chapter or two.
    a couple of hours in a vehicle = a couple of days by foot? At the time Glen decided to go through the tunnel they didn't have a car. Clearly going through the tunnel was a bad idea but I can see why Glen went that way if he knew Maggie went that way.

So, a couple reasons for reviving this thread...

1) AMC has made one of the most predictable announcements in TV history saying they are developing a spin off (of sorts) to The Walking Dead. It is not technically a spin off because it will not include any characters we have seen before on The Walking Dead (other than the Walkers). The series will take place somewhere other than Georgia and will tell the story of some other survivors of the same zombie apocalypse. They sorta have to give it a completely different setting, don't they?

2) Over the summer, when AMC replayed every single episode of the first 4 seasons, I recorded them all and (over the course of about a month) my family powered through the entire series thus far. Now that I am caught up, it has been fun to read some of this thread to see what folks were saying. I am inclined to agree with everyone who felt season four was somewhat frustrating and was filled with characters doing really illogical things. There were plenty of episodes that felt like a real waste of time too. If I had been waiting a full week to watch some of them and then knew I had another week to get to the next one I would have been really angry.

A few comments about what is to come...
    • It is pretty clear to me that the Terminus folks are going to be cannibals, perhaps even a cannibalistic cult of some sort. I can't think of any reason you would intentionally want people to come to you only to lock them up if you did not have some really nefarious reason for attracting other survivors. Canibalism makes the most sense. Given the way The Walking Dead refuses to let our heroes off easy, I am betting someone we know and like will get eaten. Tara, Bob, or Sasha would be my guesses.
    • Like many of you, I think the nerdy scientist guy (Eugene) is lying when he says he has been in touch with Washington and that he knows what caused the zombie Apocalypse (neither he nor anyone else on the show ever use the word zombie). Part of that belief is the fact that the Eugene character in the comic books does that very thing (lies about knowing about the plague) as a way to get others to protect him. That said, I think the TV show is consciously trying to split off from the comic book as much as it can. To whit, there is no Terminus in the comic books.
    • The show has continually added side characters, who after often fodder for death, but it is not afraid to kill off main characters either. If we go back to the very beginning we still have Rick, Carl, Daryl, Glenn, and Carol still alive. I feel like Rick and Carl are pretty safe and Daryl has grown into such a popular character I have a hard time seeing him being offed any time soon. But I think Carol and perhaps even beloved Glenn could be in real danger this season. I hope not though!

Lastly, a complaint about how AMC replayed the series. As they would go into commercial breaks, they would sometimes do trivia bumps in and out. Generally, there was nothing to these but midway through season three they put up a trivia bump that said "Adrea is still alive in the comic books. She and Rick are lovers." This bump was timed so that it was pretty much impossible for people watching the series to avoid. My wife and I caught it and screamed at the TV (Andrea would die after being bitten by zombified Milton) because we were a good 4 or 5 episodes from Andrea's death at that point. The same thing happened to each of my sons while they were power-watching the show. Grrrrrrr. AMC really spoiled that aspect of the show for us. AMC also kept on showing quick cut highlights of various seasons during the commercial breaks, including a clip of Daryl tossing a grenade inside a tank and blowing it up. As a result, the moment we saw the Governor come across a tank, I knew that the tank would soon attack the prison and Daryl would have to destroy it. How hard would it have been to time your bumps and promo reels so newbies to the series would not get stuff spoiled, AMC? Grrrrrrr.

--Jason "the Terminus folks steering our heroes to the train cars with machine gun bullets was idiotic... I hope the writers get smarter next season" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?