Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

The Walking Dead

they've got a mammoth job of keeping it interesting....lot's of zombie knock-off stuff tends to dull the shock value....

will they come up with something to keep us all in?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Theme dinner with friends Sunday at 7, lots of red sauce...though (and I'm giving nothing away) the
    title/teaser thingy on the on screen guide seems to imply it's a time of tranquility for the band of merry survivors.

I am looking forward to having another cast member from The Wire join the show.

Which regular cast member bites the dust first this season? Sounds like a poll question.

interesting start to a new season...did something i don't usually do and that is watch the TALKING dead afterwards...love nathan fillion....
    that said, last night's kick off was a little heavy on interjecting character relationship setup...we'll see if they get back to surviving on the next episode...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Theme song for this episode provided by the Weather Girls, "Its Raining Men."

My thoughts so far (Breaking Bad Spoiler Alert for those catching up on Netflix)

I have been a major fan of this show since the first episode. And now that Breaking Bad is over(a piece of me died with Walter White), I have been Jonesin' for Walking Dead to start up. But I have to say, the first episode was quite boring and uneventful to me, especially considering it was the season premiere.

The appeal of the show to me was/is the survival story. Migrating from place to place to try to find out what happened and why. Is the government involved? If so, how? Is there even enough of a government left to seek out? I liked the quest to get answers and try to rebuild to a "normal" world again.

I didn't love it when they hunkered down at the prison, but I understood. I just hope they seek out answers again instead of just living at the prison. The episodes that led them from the camp to the farm, to the CDC were the best to me. I hope they go back that direction at least a little.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I have been a major fan of this show since the first episode. And now that Breaking Bad is over(a piece of me died with Walter White), I have been Jonesin' for Walking Dead to start up. But I have to say, the first episode was quite boring and uneventful to me, especially considering it was the season premiere.

The appeal of the show to me was/is the survival story. Migrating from place to place to try to find out what happened and why. Is the government involved? If so, how? Is there even enough of a government left to seek out? I liked the quest to get answers and try to rebuild to a "normal" world again.

I didn't love it when they hunkered down at the prison, but I understood. I just hope they seek out answers again instead of just living at the prison. The episodes that led them from the camp to the farm, to the CDC were the best to me. I hope they go back that direction at least a little.

Just my two cents.
    I haven't read the comics, but my sense from what others have told me about them, and the show thus far, is that "Why?" isn't material to the story and will probably never get addressed. So what I get out of it is that there is no cure, only survival and evolution, which layers on an extra thick element of both dread and hopelessness, which YMMV on as to whether it turns you off from the show. I waver back and forth.

i think they will be out of the prison soon enough....false security as seen in the first episode...

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I haven't read the comics, but my sense from what others have told me about them, and the show thus far, is that "Why?" isn't material to the story and will probably never get addressed. So what I get out of it is that there is no cure, only survival and evolution, which layers on an extra thick element of both dread and hopelessness, which YMMV on as to whether it turns you off from the show. I waver back and forth.
    Yeah, I never read the comics either. And to be honest, I keep forgetting the show is based on a comic. I know the comic purist will want the show to be true to the comic, but I hope it goes in another direction if the "Why?" isn't material to the story. I guess when I watch, I think about my own personal mindset if I were them. And I know I would never rest until I could figure out what happened and why. To me, there is no way of life other than what we consider "normal" now. And I'd wouldn't rest until I tried to restore that. Damn, I sound like the governor.

Is that good or bad?

Well, if you watched the last scene in the episode and listened to the executive producer on The Talking Dead, you should have a pretty good idea that the
    current (relative) tranquility inside the prison is about to be broken in a major way.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Anyone else feeling some latter-season Battlestar Galactica deja vu?

I know you don't watch a show called "The Walking Dead" and expect "How I Met Your Mother," but like Galactica, it just feels like the writers are taking some sort of satisfaction in making their audience vicariously suffer. Post-apocalyptic stories of necessity should be harsh, but they do not need to be so hopeless.

JMHO.

Also, I am getting extremely annoyed at several plot elements which require the survivors to be mindbogglingly stupid. First of all, the fence. Why is there no sense of urgency about this? Not only is it increasingly obvious that the zombies are going to breach the fence soon, but there's almost no concern about it (or the fact that someone is clearly trying to make it happen). Sure, they have a lot going on now, but it's weird that this isn't really on their radar AT ALL.

More irritatingly, from the moment they knew that people that died always came back, anyone with an IQ above room temperature should have insisted that everyone slept either locked in their room/cell or tied up in some manner. Or maybe lock yourself in your own room as a precaution against others. Since walkers are essentially brainless, neither would have to be done in a terribly onerous fashion. They're in a freaking prison, for goodness' sake. Doing this would be almost trivial.

If they hadn't taken this elementary precaution before the events of the last couple weeks, they certainly should be doing it NOW that there's a DEADLY PLAGUE. One that has already taken the lives of many of our heroic crew because they didn't take this precaution.

The plot of this season so far really seems to hinge (in more than one place) on our survivors being this kind of super-stupid-- and continuing to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Anyone else feeling some latter-season Battlestar Galactica deja vu?

I know you don't watch a show called "The Walking Dead" and expect "How I Met Your Mother," but like Galactica, it just feels like the writers are taking some sort of satisfaction in making their audience vicariously suffer. Post-apocalyptic stories of necessity should be harsh, but they do not need to be so hopeless.

JMHO.

Also, I am getting extremely annoyed at several plot elements which require the survivors to be mindbogglingly stupid. First of all, the fence. Why is there no sense of urgency about this? Not only is it increasingly obvious that the zombies are going to breach the fence soon, but there's almost no concern about it (or the fact that someone is clearly trying to make it happen). Sure, they have a lot going on now, but it's weird that this isn't really on their radar AT ALL.

More irritatingly, from the moment they knew that people that died always came back, anyone with an IQ above room temperature should have insisted that everyone slept either locked in their room/cell or tied up in some manner. Or maybe lock yourself in your own room as a precaution against others. Since walkers are essentially brainless, neither would have to be done in a terribly onerous fashion. They're in a freaking prison, for goodness' sake. Doing this would be almost trivial.

If they hadn't taken this elementary precaution before the events of the last couple weeks, they certainly should be doing it NOW that there's a DEADLY PLAGUE. One that has already taken the lives of many of our heroic crew because they didn't take this precaution.

The plot of this season so far really seems to hinge (in more than one place) on our survivors being this kind of super-stupid-- and continuing to be this stupid.
    I discussed the fence issue with a co-worker yesterday. We both agreed that a simple solution would be to dig a large trench around the interior of the compound, much like the pit Herschel had on his farm or the pits the governer was using to capture walkers for experimentation..

Of course these shows also require us to set aside our thinking caps and all sense of logic and reason. Let's face it, in real life a dead body bloats and liquifies in just about a weeks time. After nearly a year, these walkers shouldn't even exist, but such is TV.

That bothers me too. They're sleeping in cells. All you'd to do is fashion a simple lock akin to a kiddy lock to keep a walker from walking in/out of one of the cells.. Or even just a frickin' rope.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Of course these shows also require us to set aside our thinking caps and all sense of logic and reason. Let's face it, in real life a dead body bloats and liquifies in just about a weeks time. After nearly a year, these walkers shouldn't even exist, but such is TV.

This has always been my major problem with horror movies. In order for the plot to progress the characters aren't allowed to act logically.

As far as the fence issues is concerned, my only thought is it that perhaps they see the flu going through the camp as a more pressing matter.

some of the things are just dumb…..and passed over in the "logic" department…..

i'm wondering why they don't go get that tank in atlanta when rick first met glen…….i'm sure some other ordinance is out there..

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    People make this argument a lot-- particularly with science-fiction-y stuff-- but it doesn't do it for me. I just feel a story needs to be consistent with its own logic.

The story's logic is pretty simple. Except for the Zombie Apocalypse (ZA), it's just like the real world post-apocalypse. People are humans, with human desires and with human foibles. And there's zombies. Not really that complicated.

So in a survival situation, why would people FOCUSED ON SURVIVAL miss/ignore such obvious existential threats? All they ever talk about is survival. Bu they can't/won't tie a door shut at night because they just missed this?

Nope, doesn't work for me. Again, JMHO.

Let's face it, in real life a dead body bloats and liquifies in just about a weeks time. After nearly a year, these walkers shouldn't even exist, but such is TV.
    BTW, I think the zombies are getting pretty liquefied. Particularly their heads. The first season, Rick had to hit one zombie in the head with a bat like five or six times to take it out. Now zombie heads have a consistency somewhere between a rotten melon and an overripe tomato.

By the way, this is not a complaint. If you're going to do a show about the ZA, rotten melon tomato heads are definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    some of the things are just dumb…..and passed over in the "logic" department…..

i'm wondering why they don't go get that tank in atlanta when rick first met glen…….i'm sure some other ordinance is out there..
    You mean other than the facts that they almost died both times they went into the city (and lost a crew member each time), no one in their group knows how to operate a tank, and that the noise alone created by a tank would attract every zombie from 10 miles away if it did actually still operate?
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    You mean other than the facts that they almost died both times they went into the city (and lost a crew member each time), no one in their group knows how to operate a tank, and that the noise alone created by a tank would attract every zombie from 10 miles away if it did actually still operate?
    oh peshaw on those little hang ups…….once inside the tank, nothing, not even the horde that was waiting on daryll last week would be able to stop them…

question……when the walkers attack the fence, why can't someone run out with the hundai and LEAD THEM AWAY from the fence by blowing the horn or something…..i think the hundai would outrun them, but still draw them away from the fence… no?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    oh peshaw on those little hang ups…….once inside the tank, nothing, not even the horde that was waiting on daryll last week would be able to stop them…

question……when the walkers attack the fence, why can't someone run out with the hundai and LEAD THEM AWAY from the fence by blowing the horn or something…..i think the hundai would outrun them, but still draw them away from the fence… no?
    See - I'm still wondering who's feeding them rats. And why they haven't set up a watch in the guard tower to figure it out. I know if someone were feeding the zombies the first thing I would do is try to figure out who it is, but whatev's.
    "There can BE only one."