Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lives near a number of big white buildings

Gravity better to see in 3D or IMAX version?

A question for the cinemaphiles here....would Gravity to be better to see in 3D or IMAX ?

Did not take advantage of 3D

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    A question for the cinemaphiles here....would Gravity to be better to see in 3D or IMAX ?
    I saw it in IMAX 3D last night. I was hoping this would be a film that would warrant 3D format, but I was dissappointed. The film itself is well done and well acted (and I'm not a Sandra Bullock fan), and it's certainly a "big screen" film. I do think it's worth seeing in IMAX if that excites you at all, but I think the 3D was wasted here.

For context, the only film I've seen to date that really took advantage of the 3D format was Avatar. That's it. So, perhaps my expectations are a bit high.

s.i.

I saw it a couple weeks ago in IMAX 3D and thought it was beautiful. I would certainly go for IMAX or Regal Premium (their IMAX competitor format) to really see and appreciate the quality of the images. It is a truly gorgeous film.

I liked the 3D and know some critics who say it is up there with Avatar and a few other films as the best 3D movies yet made. I dunno if I would go quite that far in my praise, but if you enjoy 3D and don't mind paying the upcharge, this is a flick where you will get some eye candy.

I know some critics who have been just over-the-top effusive in their praise for this film. I am not with them. I think the story is simplistic and I grew tired of everything going wrong for the characters. Make no mistake, it is a gorgeous achievement in cinematography -- an absolute marvel to watch. I still have no idea how they did some of the weightless stuff. I'll probably see it again to just behold the images. But, there's a lot of hokey stuff in the story that I think could have been better.

-Jason "the story also violates the laws of physics at a few key moments too" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "the story also violates the laws of physics at a few key moments too" Evans
    Laws of Hollywood override the laws of physics, always. And the laws of common sense, good taste, etc.
    This is a movie I really want to convince my gf that we should see in 3D. She doesn't like 3D, and usually I don't mind, but I've heard numerous critics (as JE mentioned) saying that this is the bookend for all 3D movies since Avatar.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Neil Degrasse Tyson having some fun...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/ne...ity-on-twitter
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Seeing anything in 3D makes me wish I were blind. I saw that John Carter of Mars crap in 3D (due to social obligation). I thought my skull was going to explode.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Seeing anything in 3D makes me wish I were blind. I saw that John Carter of Mars crap in 3D (due to social obligation). I thought my skull was going to explode.
    Hugo and Life of Pi were the only two movies I have seen in 3D that I thought the 3D was effective. All others - meh.

well, count yourselves lucky if you CAN participate in the 3D experience...i only have one working eye, so i'm excluded...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

We saw it in IMAX 3D and I wasn't disappointed. Well, I was a little upset with the price of two tickets ($37), but it was incredible to watch. I agree that this is one of the few movies where it felt like the 3D was well-done and intentional, and not some gimmicky add-on. Not quite at an Avatar level, but better than 90% of the 3D stuff out there.

And like Jason said, how on earth did they film a lot of those weightless sequences?

Speaking of 3D though, they showed the new Hobbit trailer in 3D, and I'm glad I only bothered to watch the last one in 2D (albeit in IMAX). This confirmed I will be seeing the next one in 2D as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    If you're going to spend your money on this film, then (as Jason pointed out), you should go all out for the visuals, because THAT is the only thing worth big screen money here.

Saw it last night and was extremely disappointed. I won't say it's bad, but this is the problem with Rotten Tomatoes as a guide. If everybody in the world gives it a 6 out of 10, it scores 100.

And I would have to rate it about a 6 (out of 10). If you're spending $20, then spend the $25 (3D - matinee) and if you're spending $25, spend the $28 (Imax - matinee).

BTW, if you think you have ANY INTEREST AT ALL in this movie, GO SEE IT in theaters because watching it on your 50" plasma won't do the visuals justice.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    If you're going to spend your money on this film, then (as Jason pointed out), you should go all out for the visuals, because THAT is the only thing worth big screen money here.

Saw it last night and was extremely disappointed. I won't say it's bad, but this is the problem with Rotten Tomatoes as a guide. If everybody in the world gives it a 6 out of 10, it scores 100.

And I would have to rate it about a 6 (out of 10). If you're spending $20, then spend the $25 (3D - matinee) and if you're spending $25, spend the $28 (Imax - matinee).

BTW, if you think you have ANY INTEREST AT ALL in this movie, GO SEE IT in theaters because watching it on your 50" plasma won't do the visuals justice.
    Saw it Saturday and overall I agree with the sentiment here. However, if I were rating on a 1 - 10 scale I would probably go a little higher and give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. I didn't think the movie itself (plot and content) were bad at all. They weren't great but I thought it was pretty suspenseful at times and a neat concept.

As everyone else has said, the visuals are stunning and several times I found myself thinking "how did they film that?"
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I fully agree. I was hoping that the failure of 3D standard in TV would spread to movies, but so far it's sticking around.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

CF and DukieCB... you can't say you weren't warned

I know some critics who have been just over-the-top effusive in their praise for this film. I am not with them. I think the story is simplistic and I grew tired of everything going wrong for the characters. Make no mistake, it is a gorgeous achievement in cinematography -- an absolute marvel to watch. I still have no idea how they did some of the weightless stuff. I'll probably see it again to just behold the images. But, there's a lot of hokey stuff in the story that I think could have been better.

-Jason "stunning opening numbers for the film... $55 mil is a record-breaking number for an October opening" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

CF and DukieCB... you can't say you weren't warned
    That's true. It pretty much matched what you said (like I was surprised). I was still disappointed, though.

I'll put it this way - when the best part of the movie experience is the bio-pic preview about Walt Disney and Pamela Travers - the main feature probably wasn't worth the money.

3D

My wife and I saw it yesterday in 3D or Real 3D whatever that is.
    We both liked the movie. We saw a friend and his wife coming out from an earlier show and they both liked it.

I know of 3 people who saw it in 2D or non 3D or whatever, and one liked it ok, other two did not.

My take is that the 3D visuals overcome the problems with the story.

SoCal

I saw that John Carter of Mars crap in 3D (due to social obligation). I thought my skull was going to explode.

I'd think that seeing John Carter in any format would make my skull explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    I'd think that seeing John Carter in any format would make my skull explode.
    Truth. In fact, that might be the worst movie I have ever sat all the way through.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

3D or IMAX 3D? Astronaut Mike Kelly doesn't say. But he and Gabby did see the film and writes approvingly of the movie, despite its inaccurate portrayal of a few small things.

I saw this on 3D IMAX yesterday. I thought the script was so-so, mainly because it stretches the limits of credibility reeeeeallly far, but it was the most engrossing sensory experience I've ever had at the movies. Also the first time in years I've been in a movie theater with no talking or texting or noise/distraction of any kind. Everyone was just completely transfixed.

I read somewhere that even more than 3D you should see it in a theater with Dolby Atmos sound. There are only a few hundred theaters in the country with it, though.
    http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/...-a-cinema.html