Comcast / Xfinity X1 Platform

I was reading the thread about Tivo and didn't want to hijack it, but I was curious if anyone has signed up for the Comcast/Xfinity X1 platform and whether it's worth moving over to it. Comcast is blitzing the NY/NJ area with TV commercials, but I've heard from a guy who works installing custom audio/video systems that it still has some quirks and that the transition from a regular HD-DVR system to the X1 platform has not been seemless in every household. I'd appreciate insights from anyone who's made the leap.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Comcast is terrible and evil and should never be given a penny of your money for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Comcast is terrible and evil and should never be given a penny of your money for any reason.
    Do you have a strong opinion on this subject you would like to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I was reading the thread about Tivo and didn't want to hijack it, but I was curious if anyone has signed up for the Comcast/Xfinity X1 platform and whether it's worth moving over to it. Comcast is blitzing the NY/NJ area with TV commercials, but I've heard from a guy who works installing custom audio/video systems that it still has some quirks and that the transition from a regular HD-DVR system to the X1 platform has not been seemless in every household. I'd appreciate insights from anyone who's made the leap.
    Are you in a FiOS area in NJ?
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Are you in a FiOS area in NJ?
    Yes, and have friends who have switched to Fios because they got a great initial promo rate. Now some are looking to switch back. I haven't heard bad things about Fios, but I haven't heard such phenomenal things that it's worth the hassle of re-wiring the whole house and going through the transition. I've found my experience with Comcast service has gotten better over the years.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yes, and have friends who have switched to Fios because they got a great initial promo rate. Now some are looking to switch back. I haven't heard bad things about Fios, but I haven't heard such phenomenal things that it's worth the hassle of re-wiring the whole house and going through the transition. I've found my experience with Comcast service has gotten better over the years.
    Been with FIOS for five years. I can't imagine ever returning to Comcast even though it is offering very aggressive promotional pricing to switch back. No rewiring inside the house required with FIOS. I think Comcast is still compressing its HD content.

We are having the same conversation in the Turk roost. We have FIOS in the Philly burbs. Verizon is obnoxiously trying to upsell their "new and improved" FIOS (which means ours is now old, crappy, and expensive - why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?). Meanwhile, Comcast is offering a sucker deal for xfinity, and even when the deal runs out, we get (allegedly) faster broadband and more TV choices for slightly less than what we're paying today.

We are (almost) completely email agnostic (a pox on both your houses!), so when that process is complete, I am considering switching back between Comcast and Verizon every 5 years just to rake in the fabulous cash and prizes, if that's the way they want to rig the game. Sounds pretty simple - what could possibly go wrong?

I don't have X1, but my brother in law does. The new interface on the box has a bunch of cool new features, and is very snappy (responsive). He claims the picture quality does look better.

I'm too cheap and don't watch enough TV to give Comcast any more money. I'll pay for a big fat Internet pipe, and catch most things via my Roku or Chromecast.