Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

MLB Postseason 2013

The regular season is now officially ended and the play-in games start tonight with the first meaningful October baseball in Pittsburgh in two decades. Let's move the MLB discussion here.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

the rosters

Fair enough ...

Watching last night's Tampa Bay-Texas game, I was reminded that it was NOT a playoff game, but was game 163 of the regular season. That's not just semantics. It was played under regular season rules (with one exception) -- most importantly both teams had a roster of 37 players.

Starting tonight, it must be cut to 25 players, although the roster can be revamped at the end of each series. That's a major difference.

Looking forward to the sudden-death Cincinnati at Pittsburgh game -- Cueto vs. Liriano -- tonight.

PS There was one difference in last night's game -- they used six umps, instead of the regular season norm of four. Amazingly, that led to what could have been one of the great controversies of all times. Tampa was leading 4-2 in the seventh with the bases loaded and two outs when the batter hit a soft liner to short center. The Texas CFer made a diving stab for it, but the ball clearly bounced into his glove. Yet, the LF ump, who shouldn't have been there, called the catch good and robbed Tampa of at least two runs. If Texas had rallied to win, that would be a bigger blown call that last year's infield fly call in the Braves' wild card game.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Fair enough ...
    Starting tonight, it must be cut to 25 players, although the roster can be revamped at the end of each series. That's a major difference.
    Does this mean that, in theory, TB could have one roster for the game with Cleveland and then, presuming they win, revamp the roster before going to play Boston? I don't know if it would make a difference being a one game play-in, but is it possible?
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Does this mean that, in theory, TB could have one roster for the game with Cleveland and then, presuming they win, revamp the roster before going to play Boston? I don't know if it would make a difference being a one game play-in, but is it possible?
    I've wondered this as well and have seen conflicting things. It does make a difference, because if you can re-set your roster after the WC game, teams have an incentive to drop all their SPs (other than the WC game starter) from their WC roster and stock it with more relievers and/or situational players.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I've wondered this as well and have seen conflicting things. It does make a difference, because if you can re-set your roster after the WC game, teams have an incentive to drop all their SPs (other than the WC game starter) from their WC roster and stock it with more relievers and/or situational players.
    Yes, the Divisional Round is separate from the Wild Card round. This especially comes into play for the Reds, as they can easily include Billy Hamilton on the wild card roster tonight without sacrificing too much pitching. Should they beat the Pirates, Dusty will have to decide if Hamilton is worth having for a 5 game series on a 25 man roster.

Rumor has it that Dan Uggla may have been informed he will be left out the Braves' NLDS roster. BJ Upton has been mentioned as a possible guy to be dropped as well.

Dan Uggla and BJ Upton are the two highest paid players on the Atlanta Braves. I believe the third-highest paid guy is Tim Hudson, who is of course out for the season with an injury.

It is my understanding that Pittsburgh has done just that. I suspect this is a loophole that will be fixed at some point in the future if this one-game deal continues.

Yet another disappointing postseason for the Reds. Dusty has gotten them this far but they can't seem to get any further. Over the last 4 seasons and the playoffs they participated in, they are 0-3, 2-3, and 0-1 for a combined 2-7 record. Throw in that they are the first 2-0 divisional series lead team to go out, in other words the first to get swept in the final 3 of the 5 games, it doesn't look good.

So yes, I'm suggesting Dusty needs to go, maybe. I always cringe at coaching changes, because you can get worse after them as the Pack so ably demonstrated. Probably more an issue in b-ball than baseball. But to me, Jocketty has been the more important part of the equation.

Rumor has it that Dan Uggla may have been informed he will be left out the Braves' NLDS roster. BJ Upton has been mentioned as a possible guy to be dropped as well.

Dan Uggla and BJ Upton are the two highest paid players on the Atlanta Braves. I believe the third-highest paid guy is Tim Hudson, who is of course out for the season with an injury.
    Sports Illustrated has me confused. Is Kate Upton on the Braves roster or not?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yet another disappointing postseason for the Reds. Dusty has gotten them this far but they can't seem to get any further. Over the last 4 seasons and the playoffs they participated in, they are 0-3, 2-3, and 0-1 for a combined 2-7 record. Throw in that they are the first 2-0 divisional series lead team to go out, in other words the first to get swept in the final 3 of the 5 games, it doesn't look good.

So yes, I'm suggesting Dusty needs to go, maybe. I always cringe at coaching changes, because you can get worse after them as the Pack so ably demonstrated. Probably more an issue in b-ball than baseball. But to me, Jocketty has been the more important part of the equation.
    What on earth does the manager of a 162-game enterprise have to do with the crapshoot that is a one or five-game playoff?

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Sports Illustrated has me confused. Is Kate Upton on the Braves roster or not?
    Talk about a stacked line-up!

Quote Originally Posted by bd80 View Post
    talk about a stacked line-up!
    ba-dum-dump. cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Talk about a stacked line-up!
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    ba-dum-dump. cymbals
    Certainly threw me for a curve.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Certainly threw me for a curve.
    I don't think she has much in the way of those in places the silicone isn't.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    So yes, I'm suggesting Dusty needs to go, maybe.
    Go ask a Cubs or Giants fan what he thinks of Dusty's postseason coaching acumen.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Go ask a Cubs or Giants fan what he thinks of Dusty's postseason coaching acumen.
    I mean, it's not like Baker's postseason mark compares unfavorably to other Cub managers.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Dale Sveum to the Royals. OK

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I mean, it's not like Baker's postseason mark compares unfavorably to other Cub managers.
    You say that as if destroying Mark Prior's career wasn't his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Dale Sveum to the Royals. OK
    Oh, will people ever learn?

I can't help myself. I want to predict these Division Series crapshoots. Here we go:

NL:
    Pirates over Cards
    Braves over Dodgers

No real reason. It just feels right to me that a Pirates / Braves NLCS takes place.

AL:
    Rays over Sox
    A's over Tigers

Sticking with the teams with lesser payrolls. Rays are the hot team now. A's get playoff revenge from last year.

That's it. Hoping to hit 3 out of 4.