Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New TV Season

New TV Season

I'm starting to see ads for new TV shows coming out this fall -- Bionic Woman and Journeyman (with Lucious Vorenus from HBO's "Rome) are two that look potentially promising. I think I saw that Nip/Tuck will be back in October. But, I don't read many entertainment biz news sources, so I'm feeling a little underinformed on what may be the next big hit (comedy, drama or otherwise.) I'm hoping you guys will come to the rescue.

What's on your radar for your DVR/Tivo Season Pass schedule?

What's this year's Must-See TV?

When does Heroes start up again?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

When does Heroes start up again?
    NBC showed the "6 months ago" episode tonight, and had ads for next season, some featuring Hiro and Ando doing a sit-down promo, saying there is a whole new story line next season. It will be on Monday nights at 9 pm, starting Sept. 24th.

DA, if you're on the left coast, you can still watch this at 9 PDT, 27 minutes from now as I post this!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

HBO is starting up with two new series that are on my initial-interest list.

Tell Me You Love Me - a cynical dark drama about love and relationships. Apparently, this show will be pretty graphic so don't show your kids this one!

True Blood - a vampire series from Alan Ball, who wrote Six Feet Under.

As for regular network television (in order of excitement)

1. Lost
    2. Office
    (huge cavernous drop-off)
    3. Friday Night Lights
    4. Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    5. Heroes
    6. How I Met Your Mother
    7. Smallville
    8. McNamara/Troy (I think Nip/Tuck got renamed to this)
    9. Boston Legal

As you will notice, there are no new shows listed in my top nine. I am unimpressed by the buzz and the trailers so I am probably just going to stick with my tried and true shows.

"Pushing up Dasies" looks intriguing. Otherwise I am just waiting for Lost, Heros, Prison Break, Grey's, ER, and the college basketball season to begin.

In an interesting move...

Law & Order: Criminal Intent will move to USA network. I'm not really sure why. i didn't think NBC had the ratings to just dump shows like this one.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post

As you will notice, there are no new shows listed in my top nine. I am unimpressed by the buzz and the trailers so I am probably just going to stick with my tried and true shows.
    What, no "Caveman"?

7. The shows on my "check out" list:

"Pushing Up Daisies"
    "Bionic Woman"
    "The IT Crowd"

I watched a full episode of the British version of "the IT Crowd" the other day on YouTube, and it was very funny. Hopefully it will translate to the U.S. more like "The Office" and less like "Coupling." Other than those, I don't see much that looks very good. I'm going to be keeping "Bionic Woman" on a short leash.

New lineups...

Here is NBC's Fall lineup. It's interesting that there is no Law and Order other than SVU.

Both Journeyman and Bionic Woman look promising.

In my opinion, NBC’s early departures are:
    Life and Chuck. I hope they have kept Law and Order in production.

CBS does not appear to have published a Fall Schedule or information about their new shows.

ABC's fall Schedule.

The cavemen really are getting their own TV show...

Women's Murder Club could be promising...I really like Angie Harmon

In my opinion, ABC’s early departures are:

Samantha Who? even though I love their cast, Christina Applegate, Jean Smart, Jennifer Esposito, Kevin Dunn and Tim Russ which should be a payday cast, I think the stories will get old fast.

The concepts for Dirty Sexy Money and Cashmere Mafia are grossly overdone and Big Shots is simply a male version of Cashmere Mafia but will rely more heavily on scantly clad women to stay on the air.
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 08-28-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Cane is the show I am rooting against more than any other... it must die so Nestor Carbonell can return to Lost as Richard Alpert.

-Jason "I will probably be adding Bionic Woman and Journeyman to my TIVO list... not sure what else" Evans

BlueDiablo
    I agree, "Pushing up Daisies" looks interesting.
    "Bionic Woman" seems treasonous to the original storyline, but maybe they'll offer a disclaimer like they did with the new Battlestar Galactica.
    All the same, I'll check it out as well as the caveman show (out of morbid curiosity more than anything else: I wanna see how quick it will be for them to muck up a possibly good premise)

Bluedawg, I agree in your thoughts about early departures, but would also add Samantha Who?" to the list because that will go flat within 6 to 8 episodes because it has been done so many times before.

Why don't they ever have a nice goody two shoes person get in an accident, get amnesia then come out of it being naughty and a real parahna?

11. Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    All the same, I'll check it out as well as the caveman show (out of morbid curiosity more than anything else: I wanna see how quick it will be for them to muck up a possibly good premise)
    I predict that Cavemen won't live to see December.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    What, no "Caveman"?
    http://www.cavemanscrib.com

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    BlueDiablo
    I agree, "Pushing up Daisies" looks interesting.
    "Bionic Woman" seems treasonous to the original storyline, but maybe they'll offer a disclaimer like they did with the new Battlestar Galactica.

Bluedawg, I agree in your thoughts about early departures, but would also add Samantha Who?" to the list because that will go flat within 6 to 8 episodes because it has been done so many times before.

Why don't they ever have a nice goody two shoes person get in an accident, get amnesia then come out of it being naughty and a real parahna?
    Samantha Who? is on my list. i said in spite of the outstanding cast it will not last.

short list for me...

1. The Office
    2. Prison Break
    3. South Park
    5. My Name is Earl

-- added this later
    4. 30 Rock
    6. Reno 911
    Last edited by hc5duke; 08-28-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: reno 911

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Cane is the show I am rooting against more than any other... it must die so Nestor Carbonell can return to Lost as Richard Alpert.

-Jason "I will probably be adding Bionic Woman and Journeyman to my TIVO list... not sure what else" Evans
    I don't think Cane will last either. Jimmy Smits will be great in it, but it will be a weak combination of Dallas, The Sopranos, and Cane and Able. No i don't think the title was be accident.

The new show I'm most eager to see is "Journeyman"--Lucius Vorenus traveling through time...and kicking butts in multiple eras between commercials!

Seriously, I thought Kevin McKidd was terrific in "Rome," and it wouldn't surprise me if he's bound for major stardom. Besides, I'm always fascinated by stories that involve time travel.

Otherwise, the returning shows I'm most looking forward to seeing are "Heroes" and "Friday Night Lights" and "Jericho."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    I don't think Cane will last either. Jimmy Smits will be great in it, but it will be a weak combination of Dallas, The Sopranos, and Cane and Able. No i don't think the title was be accident.

What's the over/under on how long it takes the first critic to refer to that show as "Cane't"?

"1.The Office
    2. Prison Break
    3. South Park
    4. My Name is Earl"

Glad to see I'm not the only Earl fan on the board.

The biggest buzz is for Studio 60 on Sunset Boulevard. Should be a monster.

Oh, wait. Nerver mind.

I am actively rooting against network television this fall. It all looks awful or rehash of previously existing concepts. That said:

1. Bionic Woman
    2. Journeyman
    3. Always Sunny

Ok, be completely 100% honest here. how many shows do you TIVO? Here is my current list and (I think) their order of priority on my season pass list:

1. Lost
    2. The Office
    3. How I Met Your Mother
    4. Boston Legal
    5. Heroes
    6. Survivor
    7. Grey's Anatomy
    8. ER
    9. 30 Rock
    10. Nip/Tuck
    11. Jericho
    12. World Series of Poker
    13. World Poker Tour
    14. Scott Baio is 45 and Single
    15. The Pickup Artist

And I will likely be adding the following shows (on fairly low priority at first until they prove themsevles worthy):

16. Journeyman
    17. Bionic Woman
    18. Kid Nation (the son of a friend of mine is on the show)

We are debating checking out Carpoolers, and maybe Back To You (I sorta like shows about the TV business). Yes, it is waaaay too much, but we will pare back as the new shows peter out and many of these are not on at the same time of year (Scott Baio just concluded, for example). Plus, my TIVO has plenty of space on it and we sometimes just save up a show for a few weeks and then catch up once everything else has gone on hiatus.

--Jason "I have no life..." Evans