Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

FB: Georgia Tech 38, Duke 14

Please use this thread for discussions related to Duke's upcoming game vs. Georgia Tech.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Please use this thread for discussions related to Duke's upcoming game vs. Georgia Tech.
    I thought Memphis's offensive set with the slot guy looping back before the snap may have given us some practice for the GT option. Hope so, at least.

We need our crowd to be strong and loud.

Wish we had Anthony, but gotta go with what we have. Which is still pretty good.

Tough game, but we can do this.

If ever the Duke offense needed a balanced attack with long, time consuming drives, this is the game. The best defense against the Tech offense is keeping them on the bench.

Will not be able to attend this game, as the females in my family decided to pick this weekend to have a family get together (in Atlanta, no less).

Everyone at Wade will need to pick up the rowdiness to compensate for my son and I not being there.

A program doesn't progress beating NCCU and Memphis and losing to every big. Big test for the boys in [dark] blue next weekend. GT didn't play this week, after pounding The Elon Institution for Anorexic Girls 70-0 the previous week. We'll be hosting a well-rested and confident GT squad.

Linebacker play will be critical to stopping Tech's option running attack. The linebackers must pursue the ball and make sure tackles. Kelby Brown and David Helton have looked good the first two games, and Kyler Brown appears more physical this year, at least to my untrained eye. Hopefully, C.J. France will be back and ready to go on Saturday as we need All Hands On Deck to stop the Yellow Jackets. The defensive line cannot allow themselves to be pushed backwards.

This will be a Litmus Test for the defense. It is time to knock that smug look right off Paul Johnson's face!
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This is a game I think we can win, and in fact I have it as a predicted win in my season outcome. (Shades of Ozzie's Optimism). I was worried when Boone went down, and Connette cleared any doubt away that I had. Our D is the best we have seen in a while, even though we are playing against a different scheme than we (or most any other team) is used to going against. Memphis gave the option a try a few times, with little success. We will be ready, and for the first time in a long time I think our D is prepared to execute. Having your game plan and being able to execute your game plan are two different things; I foresee us executing and really giving GT fits all day.
    It should be fun. I don't have any doubts that Georgia Tech will score, but I think we'll be able to do it more than them. My prediction...
    Duke 27 - GT 20
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke opens as a 10 point underdog with the over/under set at 55:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

I'm liking Duke and the under.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    A program doesn't progress beating NCCU and Memphis and losing to every big. Big test for the boys in [dark] blue next weekend. GT didn't play this week, after pounding The Elon Institution for Anorexic Girls 70-0 the previous week. We'll be hosting a well-rested and confident GT squad.
    Jokes involving anorexia are not appreciated. It's a serious and seriously misunderstood disease.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This is a game I think we can win, and in fact I have it as a predicted win in my season outcome. (Shades of Ozzie's Optimism). I was worried when Boone went down, and Connette cleared any doubt away that I had. Our D is the best we have seen in a while, even though we are playing against a different scheme than we (or most any other team) is used to going against. Memphis gave the option a try a few times, with little success. We will be ready, and for the first time in a long time I think our D is prepared to execute. Having your game plan and being able to execute your game plan are two different things; I foresee us executing and really giving GT fits all day.
    It should be fun. I don't have any doubts that Georgia Tech will score, but I think we'll be able to do it more than them. My prediction...
    Duke 27 - GT 20
    GT's scoring against us in the Cut-Johnson eras (started coaching at their respective schools the same years):

That 27 was a 27-0 smackdown in 08-09 by the way. I'm skeptical the run D will handle the D better than ever, and certainly not 22 points better than last year. We can win, but I'd bet the over.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Here is a random thought early in the morning, prior to me starting my daily trek to the salt mines. Once the game previews start popping up at various internet sites, we will probably start reading about how Brandon Connette will be making his first career start in place of injured Anthony Boone. Well, technically, that is not true. Connette started the Miami game his freshman season:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=205013284

Miami fumbled the opening kick-off with Duke recovering on the seven yard line so Coach Cutcliffe went with the "Connette Package" to start the game. We settled for a field goal. Of course, Renfree played the majority of the game, and threw five interceptions, in a 13-28 loss. Connette was 4-6 for 30 yards.

So, this weekend against Georgia Tech, Brandon Connette will be starting his second game as the Duke quarterback.
    Bob Green

I think it'll be important for our offense to click well against GT. It seems that in recent years against good/better teams that our defense has played well for 3 quarters or so, but ran out of gas late in the game. If the offense can stay on the field for a few sustained drives, hopefully rest our D a bit, we've got a much better chance at stopping GTech. Hopefully our offense will be our best defense.

I guess we'll see if our defense really is improved (as it shows signs of being).

In years past we'd hold Tech fairly well at times, then they'd throw a 60 yard pass to a guy who had
    no defender near him. The Calvin Johnson (?) year was the worst...something like eight completed passes,
    all to Johnson, for around 200 yards (yeah, he is pretty good, but still...)

Hopefully we play well and don't incur more injuries.

Playing against a Paul Johnson team strikes me as:

Coach Cut vs Cut Blocking

Be nice to win this one (and avoid injuries).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I guess we'll see if our defense really is improved (as it shows signs of being).

In years past we'd hold Tech fairly well at times, then they'd throw a 60 yard pass to a guy who had
    no defender near him. The Calvin Johnson (?) year was the worst...something like eight completed passes,
    all to Johnson, for around 200 yards (yeah, he is pretty good, but still...)

Hopefully we play well and don't incur more injuries.
    Thanks for this reminder of one of the more frustrating Duke games I witnessed. Even when the speedy 7' 10 " Calvin Johnson (with a 61" vertical) was covered, it was by one of our 4' 8" defenders (wearing shoes made out of concrete). Then our offensive scheme for overcoming a growing deficit in the second half was to run the ball up the middle three times for 1 yard gains so that we could use our best offensive weapon (punter).

On a positive side, I discovered five really good bars between Grant Field and my house in the 'burbs on the way home.

**The above is only slightly exaggerated for emphasis.

All I'll say is that Duke is due for the bounces to go it's way in a game where they are the decided underdog. This game could be it.

I am surprised that ESPN's ACC bloggers did not include this game on Upset Watch, especially in a week without compelling options.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    I am surprised that ESPN's ACC bloggers did not include this game on Upset Watch, especially in a week without compelling options.
    I noticed that, and I liked it. When they do put us on the watch, not much happens the way we would like to see. (However, HD has now replaced WF in her bowl predictions with the Blue Devils, so I am appeased.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I noticed that, and I liked it. When they do put us on the watch, not much happens the way we would like to see. (However, HD has now replaced WF in her bowl predictions with the Blue Devils, so I am appeased.)
    I noticed that too. I think that we are better than Troy, Navy, Wake, UVa, Pitt, and State. Even without pulling this (or any other) upset, it would get us to 8 wins and easily to a bowl. We even have 2 "freebies", but I want to have the winning season wrapped up before the bowl game.

A win on Saturday would mean a lot. I know it was against Elon, but GT possesses the most lopsided victory of the season. If we beat them, I would consider the possibility that we could win the ACC Coastal, although I would still call Miami the favorite. Ultimately, I think we lose but make it a game.

Schedule strength

Just for fun, I rated Duke's 12 football opponents, strongest to weakest. I know it's just MHO, but this is the way I see it.

1. Georgia Tech
    2. Miami (I know some would argue that Miami should be No. 1 -- they did beat GT in overtime last season. But it was early in the year when GT's defense was a mess and I think GT has a better core back. And I think Vad Lee is the best QB Paul Johnson has ever had).
    3. Virginia Tech -- the great VPI defense is back, but the offense is terrible. Logan Thomas has to be the most overrated player in the ACC.
    4. Navy
    5. North Carolina
    6. Pitt
    7. N.C. State (if Brandon Mitchell is back at QB when we play them, move them up a spot)
    8. Virginia
    9. Wake Forest
    10. Troy
    11. Memphis
    12. NCCU

We've beaten the two weakest teams on our schedule and we're about to face what I think is the best team on our schedule this weekend. Luckily, we don't play the two best teams in the ACC -- Clemson and FSU.