NFL 2013 general discussion

let's go broncos....let's see how the altitude affects the champs!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I love football and enjoy the NFL every season.

But I'm NEVER (and I mean NEVER) ready for football to begin. It's bittersweet. I'm a golfer and I love to go boogie boarding in the Atlantic. I loves me my summer. And the start of football season is a harbinger of the fact that summer will soon be over. That golfing weather will be gone in a couple of months. That boogie boarding has maybe a month left, if that.

So no, I'm not ready for some football. :-(

But I'll be watching. And I'll be enjoying it immensely.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

football

I don't understand ... football started a week ago. I've already seen a ton of great games.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't understand ... football started a week ago. I've already seen a ton of great games.
    I've never been able to get into college football. Not sure exactly what it is... the terrible playoff system? the ridiculously lopsided matchups? I enjoy watching 1 or 2 games a year (Alabama vs. Texas A&M maybe this year?) but that's about it. On the other hand I love college basketball and I'm not really a huge fan of the NBA. Maybe my college allegiances show through...

Regardless... I'm assuming the OP was referring to the #1 spectator sport in the US by a large margin... the NFL.

are you ready for some lightning?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

wow...peyton had a huge night!!! complete destruction of the champs

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    wow...peyton had a huge night!!! complete destruction of the champs
    Are you sure that was Peyton Manning? According to the Columbus Dispatch, John Elway threw 7 touchdowns last night:
    https://twitter.com/dispatcheditor/s...505409/photo/1

Does any of the NFL's recent concussion settlement money go to headline writers?
    Short names = more headlines. This is why Tim Tebow still has a chance at an NFL career.
    At least it wasn't the Indianapolis Star.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Are you sure that was Peyton Manning? According to the Columbus Dispatch, John Elway threw 7 touchdowns last night:
    https://twitter.com/dispatcheditor/s...505409/photo/1

Does any of the NFL's recent concussion settlement money go to headline writers?
    Short names = more headlines. This is why Tim Tebow still has a chance at an NFL career.
    At least it wasn't the Indianapolis Star.
    And Peyton Manning's name is in the first sentence.

Can't decide if the editor went to journalism school at unc or osu. If s/he speaks Swahili, must have gone to osu. (or, going with my unwillingness to give either place capital letters - should osu be Tosu?)

real football

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I've never been able to get into college football. Not sure exactly what it is... the terrible playoff system? the ridiculously lopsided matchups? I enjoy watching 1 or 2 games a year (Alabama vs. Texas A&M maybe this year?) but that's about it. On the other hand I love college basketball and I'm not really a huge fan of the NBA. Maybe my college allegiances show through...

Regardless... I'm assuming the OP was referring to the #1 spectator sport in the US by a large margin... the NFL.
    To each his own ... I couldn't care less about the NFL, but I LOVE college football.

pretty honey badger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty good night for Peyton and the Bronco passing game. Wonder how they established that quick rapport?

For some reason, I do not feel great about tonight's Eagles/Redskins game. If someone had just told me that the Eagles would win 33-27, I would have been elated, but the way we almost blew the game bothers me a little. We shall see on Sunday which is the real Eagles team.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I love football and enjoy the NFL every season.

But I'm NEVER (and I mean NEVER) ready for football to begin. It's bittersweet. I'm a golfer and I love to go boogie boarding in the Atlantic. I loves me my summer. And the start of football season is a harbinger of the fact that summer will soon be over. That golfing weather will be gone in a couple of months. That boogie boarding has maybe a month left, if that.

So no, I'm not ready for some football. :-(

But I'll be watching. And I'll be enjoying it immensely.
    Try living somewhere where we just switch outdoor activities when the seasons change. You can't miss golf too much if you start skiing in October.

Oh, on topic? Watching the Redskins secondary reminds me too much of watching Duke's secondary in recent years.

Wow, put a fork in the Steelers already. Pouncey out for the season and no backfield. Course a bad Steelers season is 6-10 and a decent draft pick...

There were more touchdown passes thrown this weekend than in any week ever. Secondaries across the league are getting torched right now.

Another Eagles Fan

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    For some reason, I do not feel great about tonight's Eagles/Redskins game. If someone had just told me that the Eagles would win 33-27, I would have been elated, but the way we almost blew the game bothers me a little. We shall see on Sunday which is the real Eagles team.
    I am happy with the win. Am concerned about injuries and ability to close out wins. When you slow down that offense to use up clock it loses effectiveness, and if you don't slow down then you may give the ball back too soon. I think Kelly will figure that out and come up with a way to handle it.

Offense is very dependent on Vick. Hard for me to see Foles or Barkley running it nearly as well.

RGIII was not the RGIII of last year.

In any case, Eagles should be fun to watch this year.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I am happy with the win. Am concerned about injuries and ability to close out wins. When you slow down that offense to use up clock it loses effectiveness, and if you don't slow down then you may give the ball back too soon. I think Kelly will figure that out and come up with a way to handle it.

Offense is very dependent on Vick. Hard for me to see Foles or Barkley running it nearly as well.

RGIII was not the RGIII of last year.

In any case, Eagles should be fun to watch this year.

SoCal
    Yes, that first half of football was one of the most fun Eagles games (or halves) I can remember (maybe behind a few playoff games and routs of the Giants/Cowboys).

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Wow, put a fork in the Steelers already. Pouncey out for the season and no backfield. Course a bad Steelers season is 6-10 and a decent draft pick...
    DEFINITELY very distraught over this. I'm hoping it's no worse than 6-10
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Interesting stat

The Eagles ran 53 offensive plays in the first half of their game vs. the Redskins.

The Panthers ran 50 offensive plays in the ENTIRE game vs. the Seahawks.

and people wonder why Cam Newton's stats were so low this week...
    "There can BE only one."