Thread: The World's End

The World's End

Please tell me a lot of you went and saw this over the weekend? I saw it a while ago and forgot to post a review. I am rushed at the moment but the bottom line is I thought it was really funny (without being overly crude, like This Is The End) and had a clever story to tell. I actually wish I had not known the direction the story was taking as the "big reveal" about 1/3rd of the way into the film would have been really fun if you did not know it was coming.

I laughed out loud a lot in this film, so much that I want to see it again because the theater was cracking up so much many follow-up lines were missed and I suspect there was humor that was drowned out by the laughter. It isn't a great film, but it is amusing and somewhat surprising. I don't think it was as good as Shaun of the Dead but was better than Hot Fuzz.

-Jason "Anyone see it this weekend and want to talk about it?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Please tell me a lot of you went and saw this over the weekend? I saw it a while ago and forgot to post a review. I am rushed at the moment but the bottom line is I thought it was really funny (without being overly crude, like This Is The End) and had a clever story to tell. I actually wish I had not known the direction the story was taking as the "big reveal" about 1/3rd of the way into the film would have been really fun if you did not know it was coming.

I laughed out loud a lot in this film, so much that I want to see it again because the theater was cracking up so much many follow-up lines were missed and I suspect there was humor that was drowned out by the laughter. It isn't a great film, but it is amusing and somewhat surprising. I don't think it was as good as Shaun of the Dead but was better than Hot Fuzz.

-Jason "Anyone see it this weekend and want to talk about it?" Evans
    I did actually go and see it last night - first movie I've seen in the theater in 2+ years! It was HILARIOUS. So many great moments where the audience was both laughing and applauding. Nick Frost, IMHO, stole all the scenes he was in. Jason's right, the dialog was really fast-paced (like, Aaron-Sorkin-esque), so if you weren't paying attention, it was easy to miss some good lines.

I agree that it's probably not going to be the classic like Shaun of the Dead, but maybe only because Shaun of the Dead holds the spot of "best humorous spin of a standard movie topic."

After seeing the mostly raving reviews on rottentomatoes, I decided to see it on Sunday. Unfortunately, I think my slightly negative overall take on the film was heavily influenced by those reviews; it wasn't bad at all, but I didn't think it deserved the raves it was getting.

The acting was mediocre and the story wasn't as clever as I'd hoped. I liked the message and the tone of the film, but none of the dialogue wowed me.

It's a good movie and worth seeing. You don't miss anything by renting it, as it's not a "big screen" film.

s.i.

So sad that there are only 2 replies to this thread and that this flick has only made $16.5 mil in total boxoffice through 2 weekends (while posting an impressive 90% on Rotten Tomatoes) while mediocre, lowest common denominator dreck like We're The Millers is well on its way to making $125 mil+ at the boxoffice.

-Jason "sigh..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So sad that ... dreck like We're The Millers is well on its way to making $125 mil+ at the boxoffice.

-Jason "sigh..." Evans
    Um, Jenifer Aniston on a stripper pole. ANY movie that can use that in its promo is going to make $125 mil +

So sad that there are only 2 replies to this thread and that this flick has only made $16.5 mil in total boxoffice through 2 weekends (while posting an impressive 90% on Rotten Tomatoes) while mediocre, lowest common denominator dreck like We're The Millers is well on its way to making $125 mil+ at the boxoffice.

-Jason "sigh..." Evans
    The experience I had at We're the Millers matches exactly what you were talking about with World's End J. The audience was completely engaged. The jokes just flew at a fast pace, and the place was howling at times.

Just because it's a lot more potty humor and less dry British humor, don't discount it.

mrs pie has insisted that SHE will pass judgement on this cellulose , as she is THE final word with regard to anything Simon Peg...

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese