Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kickoff Time for First Game

Did anyone notice in their ticket packages that arrived today that the kickoff time is 4 PM (or 1600 hours for you Naval folks)? Wonder what time the True Blue 'Cue Crew will arrive...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Games 1, 2 and 3 have mid-afternoon kickoffs:

NCCU - 1600
    @ Memphis - 1630
    Georgia Tech - 1600

Memphis game will be televised on ESPNU.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

NCCU - 1600
    @ Memphis - 1630
    Georgia Tech - 1600

Havent' received my tickets yet. Hoping that's today or tomorrow. According to the schedule, the GT game is on the U though:

Sat, Aug 31 N.C. Central Durham, N.C. 4:00 p.m. ESPN3
    Sat, Sep 07 Memphis Memphis, Tenn. 4:30 p.m. ESPN3
    Sat, Sep 14 Georgia Tech * Durham, N.C. 3:30 p.m. ESPNU
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    According to the schedule, the GT game is on the U though:

Sat, Aug 31 N.C. Central Durham, N.C. 4:00 p.m. ESPN3
    Sat, Sep 07 Memphis Memphis, Tenn. 4:30 p.m. ESPN3
    Sat, Sep 14 Georgia Tech * Durham, N.C. 3:30 p.m. ESPNU
    Thanks for the correction! I looked at the schedule prior to posting, but it appears I saw what I wanted to see rather than what was actually there.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ahhh...4PM in Wallace Wade on an August afternoon. HotHotHotHotHotHot
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The Belk Bowl is being shown on ESPNU right now and at 3pm they will show this years spring game.

NCCU - 1600
    @ Memphis - 1630
    Georgia Tech - 1600

Once upon a time, I knew what those numbers meant, but then I rediscovered how to be a civilian.

August 31 can't get here soon enough!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Did anyone notice in their ticket packages that arrived today that the kickoff time is 4 PM (or 1600 hours for you Naval folks)? Wonder what time the True Blue 'Cue Crew will arrive...
    Yes and it sucks. I love the 7pm starts in these early season games. Shocked they set that game at 4pm kickoff. Now thankfully we have had a very odd rainy and cool summer but I expect it will be too hot for a 4pm start for the Bull City Classic. I will be there anyway of course but would be so much better with the normal 7pm start.

Thanks for the correction! I looked at the schedule prior to posting, but it appears I saw what I wanted to see rather than what was actually there.
    Not a problem at all. It happens to me all the time.

I'll be in the parking lot behind Gross Chem around Noon. If anyone wants to stop by I should have plenty of eastern style barbecue (the only barbecue, but I won't get into that here).
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Yes and it sucks. I love the 7pm starts in these early season games. Shocked they set that game at 4pm kickoff. Now thankfully we have had a very odd rainy and cool summer but I expect it will be too hot for a 4pm start for the Bull City Classic. I will be there anyway of course but would be so much better with the normal 7pm start.
    It is not uncommon for the temperature to be in the mid to upper 90s. Wallace Wade is a bowl made of concrete that holds heat very well. A 4:00 start on August 31 borders on dangerous. It is not a smart thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    It is not uncommon for the temperature to be in the mid to upper 90s. Wallace Wade is a bowl made of concrete that holds heat very well. A 4:00 start on August 31 borders on dangerous. It is not a smart thing to do.
    Yeah, I remember going to a game in late October when the temperature was only about 65 degrees, but thinking that it was hot out during the game.

They should play August / September games in the South at night. Also, the long range forecasts are calling for way above normal temperatures next weekend, perhaps 95, sunny, and humid.

And Duke officials know very well just how dangerous it is. Just a few years ago there were a couple of games that resulted in health issues for quite a number of folks. I'm surprised they have "unlearned" the lesson so quickly.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    And Duke officials know very well just how dangerous it is. Just a few years ago there were a couple of games that resulted in health issues for quite a number of folks. I'm surprised they have "unlearned" the lesson so quickly.
    Aren't start times dictated by ESPN? In this instance, the game is on ESPN3. A really silly if not dangerous start time in order to share this opening game with fans out in computer land. I agree national exposure is great, but a 4:00 PM start is dumb. I presume the administration of Duke have no recourse...correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Aren't start times dictated by ESPN? In this instance, the game is on ESPN3. A really silly if not dangerous start time in order to share this opening game with fans out in computer land. I agree national exposure is great, but a 4:00 PM start is dumb. I presume the administration of Duke have no recourse...correct me if I'm wrong.
    they could always forfeit...but yeah, they're under contract to play when ESPN says they do
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    they could always forfeit...but yeah, they're under contract to play when ESPN says they do
    Most university sports teams are controlled by ESPN and Nike. They sold out to them long ago, they just try not to talk about it. They'll wear whatever ugly uniforms Nike wants to market, They'll play whenever ESPN says to play. Duke is no different in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    My bad. Well, let's just hope the weather is tolerable, I guess. Didn't we lose somebody at one of those games? Not to mention the hustling around by the medical personnel to check on people. I remember lots of folks finding shade, sitting down and not looking so good. Those free bottles of water at the next heat game really helped, I think.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Most university sports teams are controlled by ESPN and Nike. They sold out to them long ago, they just try not to talk about it. They'll wear whatever ugly uniforms Nike wants to market, They'll play whenever ESPN says to play. Duke is no different in that regard.
    That's not fair. Some teams are controlled by CBS or B1G Network or Under Armour.

Actually, given Duke's stature, wouldn't you agree that Duke is under the thumb of Nike and ESPN even more?

Also, we have different definitions of selling out. What Duke did with ESPN and Nike is just good business. Want to retain the best coach in the country? Gotta pay him. Want to develop our players in the off-season? Gotta have the best facilities. Wanna get more publicity for recruits, which helps to sustain the successful Duke model? Gotta buy into ESPN and Nike.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

From The Weather Channel:

Sat
    Aug 31
    Mostly Sunny 87°
    72°
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From The Weather Channel:

Sat
    Aug 31
    Mostly Sunny 87°
    72°
    It's gonna suck for NC Central to be on that sideline...