Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kobe Says He Would Have gone to UNC

Kobe is now saying he was leaning towards UNC coming out of High School north of Philly. In the interview he talks up his admiration for El Deano, and interest in "playing every day (in practice) against Jerry Stackhouse." Of course, in the past he's said things about having wanted to play for K at Duke. Sorta 'whatever.' I kinda feel like his story will change again next month too...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...152703698.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Kobe is now saying he was leaning towards UNC coming out of High School north of Philly. In the interview he talks up his admiration for El Deano, and interest in "playing every day (in practice) against Jerry Stackhouse." Of course, in the past he's said things about having wanted to play for K at Duke. Sorta 'whatever.' I kinda feel like his story will change again next month too...

I'm glad he didn't come to Duke; I didn't like the idea of a one and done back then and I don't now. But I am glad that he has still played for K and that each has a great mutual respect for each other.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 08-16-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well, this should be sufficient to get his jersey in the rafters -- right next to the Helms banner......

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm glad he didn't come to Duke; I didn't like the idea of a one and done back then and I don't now. But I am glad that he has still played for K and that each has a great mutual respect for each other.
    at Duke, he would have had to walk to real classes.

I'm a little embarassed to admit it but I'm a kinda bummed that Kobe says now he would have been a Heel.

Kobe and I are about the same age so through the years I've always followed his game and admired his singular desire to crush every opponent and best MJ's records. He's always said his final two choices were La Salle and Duke so this is somewhat surprising to me, too.

I thought of him as an adopted "Devil", but I guess not now.

I'm glad Kobe played for Coach K and the Olympic Team. But where he might have gone to college is so immaterial I can't even work up a yawn.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    I'm a little embarassed to admit it but I'm a kinda bummed that Kobe says now he would have been a Heel.

Kobe and I are about the same age so through the years I've always followed his game and admired his singular desire to crush every opponent and best MJ's records. He's always said his final two choices were La Salle and Duke so this is somewhat surprising to me, too.

I thought of him as an adopted "Devil", but I guess not now.
    Just a hunch, but I have to wonder if this is at least partially a reflection of K's effusive praise for Lebron ("basketball genius", "queen on the chessboard", etc.), as well as Kobe's Olympic hoops career likely being over. Given that Kobe is nothing if not incredibly competitive in general, and ultra-protective about what he sees ad his "proper legacy" as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Just a hunch, but I have to wonder if this is at least partially a reflection of K's effusive praise for Lebron ("basketball genius", "queen on the chessboard", etc.), as well as Kobe's Olympic hoops career likely being over. Given that Kobe is nothing if not incredibly competitive in general, and ultra-protective about what he sees ad his "proper legacy" as a player.
    I could see this being true

Yep

This was Kobe in 2007

Often times Duke fans wonder if Kobe Bryant had not gone directly to the NBA out of high school if he “maybe” would have attended Duke and been a part of that team.

“There’s no maybe about it,” Bryant says.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=1153901

But OTOH this post prompted a 19 post thread on DBR in 2010

03-19-2010, 02:27 AM #1
    Kewlswim

Guess Kobe would have gone to Carolina

Hi,

I was under the impression Kobe wanted to come to Duke, if he was going to attend college that is, I stand corrected.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...ontent.12.html

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ne-to-Carolina

Since Kobe went straight to the pros he can make up whatever story suits him best for today

who cares?

The Heels can use some good news after this summer. Let them have Kobe. They can talk about how great Vince Carter might have been if he'd had Kobe to practice against.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The Heels can use some good news after this summer. Let them have Kobe. They can talk about how great Vince Carter might have been if he'd had Kobe to practice against.
    Yeah, this "woulda been" Tarheel recruiting news may be the most positive "news" about UNC athletics to come out this summer.

I heard Coach K say at his basketball camp (a month or so ago) that he believed Kobe would have come to Duke. So Kobe has his story and K has his. Like many kids going through the process- Kobe probably waffled in his own mind. I am sure at one point UNC was on top and at another Duke was on top and so on. In the end- he made a decision- to go to neither.

I can't even believe this thread exists. Where might have Kobe gone to college? Duke or UNC? Really? A thread?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    who cares?
    Can I get an amen?
    Love, Ima

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    Can I get an amen?
    Love, Ima
    Double amen. It's clearly the dog days of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I can't even believe this thread exists. Where might have Kobe gone to college? Duke or UNC? Really? A thread?
    The only thing this thread illustrates is what a crap-shoot recruiting really is. If an adult man can't reliably say where he would have gone to school twenty years after the fact, how can we possibly expect some 18-year-old kid to figure out a story and stick to it?

... although that never stops people from parsing tweets and dissecting apparel choices.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I think the more important question is:

If Wilt Chamberlain were a high school junior today, would he choose to go to school at Duke, how on earth could Wojo develop him, and would he be able to dispel the perception that Duke can't produce NBA stars? Oh, and how would he match up against a Bill Russell of today playing for the Tarheels, if he didn't have PJ Hairston available to lob him passes?

If you really want...

to see people desperate for some news, put on your waders and bulletproof vest and venture over to IC. The posters there were raving about this and how "K must have turned him off during the Olympics."

Delusional much?

Quote Originally Posted by chaosmage View Post
    to see people desperate for some news, put on your waders and bulletproof vest and venture over to IC. The posters there were raving about this and how "K must have turned him off during the Olympics."

Delusional much?
    Maybe when K said, "Kobe, you have to let others shoot, too."