Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Some people don’t like Baker Mayfield (among others)

Given that the Daniel Jones thread continually turns into complaints about Baker for some reason, I thought it would start a separate thread for that discussion. Fire away at Mayfield here. Add whoever you want to hate on. Talk about Daniel in his thread.

A modest proposal. Thanks.

I saw on the NFL Network that Baker refused to shake opposing players hands before the game last night. Those players didn't take it lightly. Looks like Baker hasn't made many friends in the NFL. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I saw on the NFL Network that Baker refused to shake opposing players hands before the game last night. Those players didn't take it lightly. Looks like Baker hasn't made many friends in the NFL. GoDuke!

They showed a clip where he actually did shake hands. Looked like Richard Sherman was caught in an outright lie or some level of manufactured indignation.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Given that the Daniel Jones thread continually turns into complaints about Baker for some reason, I thought it would start a separate thread for that discussion. Fire away at Mayfield here. Add whoever you want to hate on. Talk about Daniel in his thread.

A modest proposal. Thanks.
    Oooh. Great idea. If you can get people to also vent their spleen at and otherwise discuss UNC here, and not elsewhere, I will send you a fresh Julian Pie Company pie every month.

These are delicious pies, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    They showed a clip where he actually did shake hands. Looked like Richard Sherman was caught in an outright lie or some level of manufactured indignation.
    Sherman was not caught in outright lie...there is kind of an informal quick get together before the coin flip, but then there is a more structured announcement of who kicks who receives and that is normally followed by handshakes. It was in that part of the pre game where Mayfield sprinted off before any of the other 9 players did.

Now, Sherman was not an outright liar, but he didn't tell the entire story. What I read into it is that Mayfield is not respecting the league the way veterans think newer players should. There was a contrast drawn between Mayfield and Mahomes for example.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    There was a contrast drawn between Mayfield and Mahomes for example.
    Some might also point to a fairly obvious contrast in actual football talent.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Some might also point to a fairly obvious contrast in actual football talent.
    And that was part of the unspoken point....that Mahomes, an MVP respects the game and oppoonents...and Mayfield, who hasn't done anything yet, doesn't. Mahomes is indeed gifted. He and Aaron Rogers, who I do not like, both have some talents no other QBs have.

Sherman was not caught in outright lie...there is kind of an informal quick get together before the coin flip, but then there is a more structured announcement of who kicks who receives and that is normally followed by handshakes. It was in that part of the pre game where Mayfield sprinted off before any of the other 9 players did.

Now, Sherman was not an outright liar, but he didn't tell the entire story. What I read into it is that Mayfield is not respecting the league the way veterans think newer players should. There was a contrast drawn between Mayfield and Mahomes for example.
    Sherman straight up said at the beginning he didn’t shake his hand. That is a lie.

“What's amazing, and annoying, was him not shaking hands at the beginning."

I’ll say this for Baker Mayfield, he’s a Cleveland Browns quarterback.

Wow. A DBR thread with the topic of Baker Mayfield (of the Cleveland Browns) on the main page. Fo reals?

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Wow. A DBR thread with the topic of Baker Mayfield (of the Cleveland Browns) on the main page. Fo reals?
    It's because some folks were tired of people derailing the Daniel Jones thread by bringing up Baker Mayfield every other day (a valid complaint).

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Sherman straight up said at the beginning he didn’t shake his hand. That is a lie.

“What's amazing, and annoying, was him not shaking hands at the beginning."
    He clearly meant AFTER the coin flip, when there is normally a little more formal hand shaking. Your mis understanding of what he was saying in context doesn't make what he said a lie.

He clearly meant AFTER the coin flip, when there is normally a little more formal hand shaking. Your mis understanding of what he was saying in context doesn't make what he said a lie.
    I think you are reaching for this and just might pull a muscle. It took me about .5 seconds to find an example where players don’t shake hands after a coin toss.

https://youtu.be/khWu-f2m1YI

I think you are reaching for this and just might pull a muscle. It took me about .5 seconds to find an example where players don’t shake hands after a coin toss.

Yeah, but that Peyton Manning guy is a bum who obviously has no respect for the game of football or his opponents so that isn't a good example.

This is just such a weird hill to...err...plant your flag on.

Sherman explained he meant after the handshake. Is that weak? Sure. Does it mean anything big? Of course not. Did Sherman use that to gas up his defense and beat the snot out of the Browns? Evidently.

No story here.

Shouldn't this Baker Mayfield thread be derailed by talk of Daniel Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Shouldn't this Baker Mayfield thread be derailed by talk of Daniel Jones?
    I’m worried for Daniel, short rest, Patriots, and now Evan Engram is out.

hope he stays healthy and learns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sherman explained he meant after the handshake. Is that weak? Sure. Does it mean anything big? Of course not. Did Sherman use that to gas up his defense and beat the snot out of the Browns? Evidently.

No story here.
    Yep. It’s just stupid. There is no handshake protocol. It’s amazing this even became a story but it shows the hatred some have towards individuals.

Anything to be outraged.