Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Actually, it's Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton.

For the first 45 minutes against Toon, Romelu Lukaku approached a Nate James-ian level of bad-assedness.

Martinez has to figure out a way to get Mirallas and Deufoleu on the field at the same time. Those are two scary guys out wide.

The first Merseyside derby on 11/3 is going to be EPIC.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Actually, it's Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton.

For the first 45 minutes against Toon, Romelu Lukaku approached a Nate James-ian level of bad-assedness.

Martinez has to figure out a way to get Mirallas and Deufoleu on the field at the same time. Those are two scary guys out wide.

The first Merseyside derby on 11/3 is going to be EPIC.
    Yea I wrote that before the match today was over.

You have to admire Newcastle's 2nd half response after being completely shellacked in the first half. I've heard varying reports that Lukaku asked to be sent on loan and that he asked NOT to be sent on loan but either way It seems odd Mourinho would send him out...even with Ba, Torres, and Eto'o. Seems to me if Rafa couldn't get Torres playing well again no one can, Eto'o is 32 and Ba is...well Ba. Ah well They'll probably buy someone else in January. Maybe Liverpool can pick up Mata?

Oh and Barkley looks like Rooney 2.0.

What does that make it for Arsenal now, 18 wins in the last 20 games? Ridiculous form, especially considering that they are missing ten(?) first team players. They have a rough patch of games coming up, starting tomorrow, but I wouldn't bet against them

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    What does that make it for Arsenal now, 18 wins in the last 20 games? Ridiculous form, especially considering that they are missing ten(?) first team players. They have a rough patch of games coming up, starting tomorrow, but I wouldn't bet against them
    Santi, Podo, Ox, Arteta, Ros, Vermaelen, and Diaby immediately come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Santi, Podo, Ox, Arteta, Ros, Vermaelen, and Diaby immediately come to mind.
    Is it really worth expecting Diaby to ever be off that list?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Is it really worth expecting Diaby to ever be off that list?
    Well...I just read a few days ago that he offered to forego his salary while out...

My word Arsenal. 2-0 up on Napoli before the 15 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    My word Arsenal. 2-0 up on Napoli before the 15 minute mark.
    The way it ended. Ozil and Giroud in the first half...Ozil got the assist on Olivier's goal I believe. Nice run so far this year after the Villa loss.

Premier League 1st-Timer...Who Should I be a Fan of?

OK, for a long time I've watched quite a bit of international soccer(i.e. World and Euro Cup as well as the US matches) but haven't paid much attention to professional soccer.

This is the first year I've really watched the Premier League closely and I have to say, it's a blast! My knowledge of "Football" is limited but, still, I'm the type of viewer that needs to have a rooting interest in a Team.

So my question to those that follow the EPL closely is - Who should I root for?

I thought about MU because I know more of their players than other teams but that just seems too "bandwagon" for me.

Manchester City seems cool but they use that repulsive "lighter shade of blue" so I don't think I can bring myself to follow them.

I was thinking Chelsea or Liverpool - solid teams, good tradition, without being too trendy.

Who do you guys pull for and why?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    OK, for a long time I've watched quite a bit of international soccer(i.e. World and Euro Cup as well as the US matches) but haven't paid much attention to professional soccer.

This is the first year I've really watched the Premier League closely and I have to say, it's a blast! My knowledge of "Football" is limited but, still, I'm the type of viewer that needs to have a rooting interest in a Team.

I thought about MU because I know more of their players than other teams but that just seems too "bandwagon" for me.

Manchester City seems cool but they use that repulsive "lighter shade of blue" so I don't think I can bring myself to follow them.

I was thinking Chelsea or Liverpool - solid teams, good tradition, without being too trendy.

I pull for Liverpool. Have been for almost 10 years now. Like you said great history and tradition. Just listening to the crowd at Anfield singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" gives me chills and I have never been to Anfield nor did I grow up loving them.

They have been down and out for a while now, but are really on the rise with manager Brendan Rodgers leading the way. They have some great young talent, and the absolutely insane Suarez. (Both talent wise, and mentally. The dude is bonkers). But definitely an enjoyable team to watch.

I'm an Arsenal guy. The Gunners to me play a crisp passing cerebral game when they're on. Frustrating how we find excellent players, only to act as a development league team for the big money teams, but the purse seems to have been opened with the signing of Ozil and rumblings about future deals.

Watch the original movie "Fever Pitch" with Colin Firth to capture a Gunners' passion. (not the remake about the Bosox)

I'm an Arsenal man through and through. I always felt that they go about business the right way. That and I fell in love with Thierry Henry when I was a child.

It's really interesting to me that you place Liverpool and Chelsea together in that category with no mentioning of Arsenal at all. I think it speaks volumes for Abramovich's 'first mover' status...i.e., the first billionaire to wake up one day and decide to buy a European club. The truth is that Arsenal and Liverpool ooze 'tradition' where Chelsea is almost purely a byproduct of one rich Russian's egomania. Ferenc Puskas, a famous Hungarian who played for Real Madrid when they won the first several European Cups and someone many argue as being the greatest #9 of all time once said, "I well remember as a boy, growing up in Hungary, there was only one club for me - Arsenal." The truth is that City, Newcastle, Everton, Villa, West Ham, and others all arguably (but probably) have more 'tradition' than Chelsea will have for quite some time. I've attended a match at Stamford Bridge and although a generally pleasant experience, it has zero comparison to Anfield or Celtic Park or Upton Park or some of the other historically-notable British grounds (specifically, Highbury, which I will regrettably never attend). Londoners actually call Chelsea supporters "The Plastics" both to poke fun of Chelsea being located in a "posh" area and also at the many stunts done at the stadium to artificially enhance the lame atmosphere.

Liverpool and Arsenal have specific jabs at Chelsea because of Roman: Arsenal has a banner at the Emirates that reads "You Can't Buy Class" and Liverpool has a song (naturally) poking fun at Chelsea's historical lack of trophies (it's vulgar so I won't post). Ironically though, it was Liverpool's intense traditions that led it to fail to adapt to the changing soccer landscape in England in the way that Arsenal and United did...specifically in building a larger, more modern stadium. Liverpool has maintained most of the deeply-rooted Scouse culture and the mystique of Anfield because of its refusal to adapt, but at the enormous cost of falling down the pecking order of dominant clubs in the EPL (the small spell with Rafa notwithstanding). Arsenal lost what was supposedly a truly special experience at Highbury for what is routinely called a "soulless, corporate" Emirates...but they did this at the enormous benefit of becoming a financially sustainable and [relatively] competitive club. Ferguson and Wenger had a thing to do with their respective successes, as well.

So after that spiel...I'm a Liverpool supporter. A few years back I did UK soccer trip where I got to see an Old Firm at Celtic Park and go to Anfield, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Craven Cottage, Upton Park, and the Emirates (although only stadium tours at Emirates and Upton Park). The Old Firm is exceptional in every sense of the word, both positive and negative. I cannot explain adequately how it is more than a soccer match to those people. But Anfield was something different. All of the bad blood that surrounds the Old Firm doesn't exist around Anfield. It had the feel of a genuinely local club where the people supported and attended the game because it's what they love to do. Not because they hate the other side. And I think this is legitimized by the Merseyside Derby's nickname being the "Friendly Derby." They're blue-noses, but still Scousers at heart that only lost their way, after all. Anyways, the atmosphere around the stadium leading up the match was a blast (lots of hilarious 'you're American and you like football?' talks). It's packed with bars and Fish & Chips joints and just. pure. Scouse. "Because they're not English, they're Scouse." You literally walk right off the street into the turnstiles to enter and the Kop is actually pretty terrifying - both because of the noise and the darkness as you get higher up.

So...in summation: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT SUPPORT CHELSEA. They began all this "rich-guy-uses-club-as-plaything" trend and I can't stand them for it. I was not allowed to bring my "zoom" lens (55-200mm, nothing super-duper) into Stamford Bridge because the (admittedly polite) guard said, "Mr Roman would prefer you buy pictures at the store." When they won the Champions League it was a real annoyance because now the rest of England can't poke fun at London for never having won a European Cup. Ugh. Chelsea. Ruining everything since 2003.

My pitch for Liverpool is that we have a young, energetic manager still trying to prove himself and a [relatively] active ownership group that seems genuinely intent on expanding Anfield in the coming years as well as continually investing in the club...even after they were bit pretty hard by Kenny and Comolli's initial poor use of resources. Liverpool is still fully in "project" mode but we have sufficient history/tradition to be able attract top players (please don't bring up Mkhitaryan. I'm still upset about that) and a hugely entertaining asset in Luis Suarez (at least for the rest of the fall). Steven Gerrard is one of the few single club players still around, especially as far as players of his caliber go, and the fanbase is fantastic as I've mentioned. I'd point you to The Anfield Wrap articles and podcasts to catch a good snapshot of the Scouse thought/ways of doing things.

And if that pitch isn't enough, there's always this (considered to be the greatest European Cup final ever by many). Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPEmC3vN-bQ

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Watch the original movie "Fever Pitch" with Colin Firth to capture a Gunners' passion. (not the remake about the Bosox)
    The book is even better!

I was going to posit, in my ignorance, that Chelsea was also very bandwagon, but JohnGalt just explained why.

Which is too bad, since they have the dark blue going on.

I have asked the same question that you have--which EPL team should I root for? The answers I get are usually confusing and I wander away unconvinced. I think maybe I should get me a Bundesliga team.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I was going to posit, in my ignorance, that Chelsea was also very bandwagon, but JohnGalt just explained why.

I have asked the same question that you have--which EPL team should I root for? The answers I get are usually confusing and I wander away unconvinced. I think maybe I should get me a Bundesliga team.
    I'm an Arsenal supporter, but please don't take this the wrong way.

I think you would probably be most at home supporting the Spurs. They're very good, but you wouldn't be jumping a bandwagon right now. In other words, you have a good chance of actually seeing them play. They really, really like to sing, which I think you'd enjoy. They still play in their historic stadium, the Lane (though they're building a new one): a tight stadium where the boisterous fans are right up on the pitch. And they're in London, which is immensely more reachable for an American than places like Liverpool or Manchester.

I'm hoping that the team I have supported since childhood, Nottingham Forest, will be back in the Premiership next year. In the meantime, I appreciate Arsenal and root for Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I'm an Arsenal supporter, but please don't take this the wrong way.

I think you would probably be most at home supporting the Spurs.
    Arghhhh! Treason.

The masochist in me has me rooting for Sunderland this year because I wanted to see Jozy do well. I try to watch other games, and I think I might be able to start shifting toward Aston Villa or Everton. But if I watched one of those teams play Sunderland right now, I think I'd find myself rooting for Sunderland.

In the end, I don't think I'll ever really have a Premiere League team, just whatever team has the most American players, and when Americans play Americans, I'll probably root for the team that has the guy in the most forward position.

If the blue is a sticking point I'd point to Everton. They've historically been a big club who've won plenty of trophies so the 'tradition' category can be checked off. The problem is the ownership is currently broke so they're probably at or close to their ceiling. They haven't won anything in quite some time and probably won't for the foreseeable future.

The Bundesliga is really a good idea. IMO, Munich just started what will be one of the biggest dynasties ever in the sport. They have 0 debt, like 150 million Euros in the bank and just walloped what is probably the best EPL team. Dortmund is the latest rage because their supporters are nuts (but a cool, creative nuts) and it's really, really hard to not like Jurgen Klopp, their coach. Plus they punch way above their financial weight. Their colors are just awful though.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I'm hoping that the team I have supported since childhood, Nottingham Forest, will be back in the Premiership next year. In the meantime, I appreciate Arsenal and root for Everton.
    Still dreaming about the Clough days, eh? I read somewhere that Forest is the only European Champion not playing in its country's top division. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I think you would probably be most at home supporting the Spurs. They're very good, but you wouldn't be jumping a bandwagon right now. In other words, you have a good chance of actually seeing them play. They really, really like to sing, which I think you'd enjoy. They still play in their historic stadium, the Lane (though they're building a new one): a tight stadium where the boisterous fans are right up on the pitch. And they're in London, which is immensely more reachable for an American than places like Liverpool or Manchester.
    Spurs are a very good choice. No supporters sing "oh when the [insert name] go marching in..." like Spurs. White Hart Lane against Inter a few years back was incredible.

I wouldn't say London is "immensely" more reachable though. A 2 or 3 hour train ride to Liverpool/Manchester is no big deal especially if you're on a pilgrimage to see your club. And the truth is the tube doesn't go to White Hart Lane so it's kind of a pain to get there even when you're finally in London. The northern cities are cheaper with a much more locally distinct culture, as well. If you're going specifically for soccer those are the places to go.

Nottingham Forest is an awesome name for a team. So much better than Wake Forest. Is there a team called Hundred-Acre Wood?

Aston Villa is pretty sweet too. That sounds like where Daniel Craig parks his Aston Martin.

I am fond of Munich but I've been told you can't root for Bayern because that's like rooting for Man U or the Yankees. And they have Robben, whom I detest. A girl from Bosnia was trying to convince me to root for Schalke.

I root for the German national team for two reasons. Three actually. One is, if you're from the US, you need a secondary rooting interest that can, y'know, actually win the darn thing. Everybody else's is Spain, because all of a sudden five years ago Spain got good. I'm oppositional. Second, my wife teaches German. I got my kid a Klose jersey. And third, the Germans actually try to score, which cannot be said for a lot of the national teams. I wish I'd had money when the WC was in Germany.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine