Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 157
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle

    English Premier League 2013-2014

    So with the English Premier League starting this weekend I thought it would be a good time to start a new thread for the upcoming season. I'm not sure how many people on here follow the PL, but I know there are a few. I think this season is shaping up to be one of the most unpredictable and exciting in recent memory.

    The Favorites

    Man City- City have been picked by a large number of pundits to win the league. Mancini is gone and so is the bad air surrounding him. In steps a terrific manager of Pellegrini set to reform the team who finished second last season. They have done good work in the transfer market bringing in Navas, Fernandinho, Jovetic and Negredo, to add to an already talented squad.

    Chelsea- Chelsea also face the challenge of operating under a new manager with Jose Mourinho returning to the helm. I can't think of any signings they made this summer, but they continue to chase Wayne Rooney. They bring back a very talented squad with Mata and Hazard leading the way.

    Man United- Funny that all three of the favorites have all had a manager change since the end of last season. Moyes moves from Everton to replace SAF in what seems an impossible task. United have struggled this transfer window, missing out on Fabregas and Thiago, but Kagawa should be settled in his second season in Manchester and RVP returns. The Rooney saga continues to leave a dark cloud over the camp.

    The Chase Pack

    Arsenal- Arsenal had another classic "Arsenal" summer in the fact that they made no new signings other than a young injury-prone Frenchman. The Arsenal camp did a fantastic job of offloading deadweight and are still in the hunt to sign Suarez and Gustavo. Cazorla looks to improve on an outstanding first campaign and Wilshere has had his first injury free pre-season in a long time.

    Tottenham - Spurs have done a decent job in the summer market bringing in Paulinho and Soldado, but their season hinges on the fate of Bale. If he moves to Madrid, which seems likely, they are likely in for another season of 5th-6th.

    The Surprises

    West Ham- Big Sam is in charge for another campaign with the Hammers and it should be an interesting one. After finishing tenth last season, they brought Carroll in on a permanent deal and he looks to help them improve. With players like, Nolan, Vaz Te, and Jarvis they could surprise a few people this year.

    Southampton- I was impressed with Southampton finishing 14th last season, because I thought they would surely be relegated. The Saints have been extremely active during the summer, making improvements to their current squad. They very likely could finish on the top half of the table.


    It's hard to make full predictions when the transfer window is still open, but with the current squads here is how I season unfolding.

    1. City- I think Pellegrini inherits a squad with something to prove after last season.
    2. Chelsea- With Torres/Ba (I think Lukaku needs one more year to be completely ready) upfront I don't think they have enough to win the title. If they land Rooney then they very well could take it all.
    3. United- Moyes first season at the helm could be a rough one, especially with the Rooney drama.
    4. Arsenal- If they can add Suarez/Gustavo they could challenge for a title.
    5. Tottenham- If they lose Bale they could slip even more.
    6. Liverpool- Finished strong last season, need to get the Suarez situation sorted.
    7. West Ham- Starting to fill out a quality squad.
    8. Everton- Will miss having Moyes managing.
    9. Swansea- Expect another mid-table finish.
    10. West Brom- will miss having Lukaku
    11. Southampton
    12. Fulham
    13. Newcastle
    14. Aston Villa
    15. Stoke
    16. Cardiff
    17. Sunderland
    18. Norwich
    19. Hull City
    20. Crystal Palace

    I'd love to hear how everyone else thinks this season will shake out and see your predictions!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asheville, NC

    ManU

    Well, I follow ManU in the EPL, which makes me feel kind of bad in some ways, but when I was a teenager, they were playing in the first true soccer game I ever watched, and from then on, I've been following them. I think they've got all the pieces this year to win again, (they haven't lost anybody from last year-Rooney notwithstanding), and I like the way Zaha has been playing. I wish they could have picked up Fabregas. With him, I think they are a lock for a top-2, but I think you're right that they are probably going to finish 2 or 3 behind Chelsea and/or ManCity.

    I haven't really found another team to root for, it's usually like Duke and UNC basketball, in which case I always root for Duke (ManU), and always root against UNC (Chelsea/ManCity). I used to like Spurs with Dempsey and I still have a little bit of a feeling for Tim and Everton, but otherwise, I'm mostly meh outside of ManU. I do hope that Jozy does well at Sunderland. Maybe that's a middle-of-the-pack team I can get behind.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC

    thread merger?

    Is it worth merging this with the other thread in hopes of reviving a little non-WCQ soccer related discussion?

    I know blazin will want to hear/speak about La Liga and the truth is that this year is a really interesting one in a number of ways. The coaching turnover - especially at big clubs - around Europe has been humongous, Ferguson leaving and Guardiola returning being the two largest, but far from isolated examples...Pep's decisions will be particularly interesting at Munich since he is inheriting probably the most accomplished German side of all time. But he does have a philosophy, after all. I imagine his and Klopp's press conferences will be particularly amusing.

    For Americans, Stoke city is turning into the new Fulham and as someone before alluded, Sunderland has to pleased with its incoming striker as Jozy appears to be on the form of his life, Bedoya is in France, Johannsson is Jozy's replacement, Brooks in the Bundesliga with Jones, Parkhurst, and Fabian...Bradley's in Serie A.

    Idno...thought it was worth a shot since it seems there is plenty of discussion to be had.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Is it worth merging this with the other thread in hopes of reviving a little non-WCQ soccer related discussion?

    I know blazin will want to hear/speak about La Liga and the truth is that this year is a really interesting one in a number of ways. The coaching turnover - especially at big clubs - around Europe has been humongous, Ferguson leaving and Guardiola returning being the two largest, but far from isolated examples...Pep's decisions will be particularly interesting at Munich since he is inheriting probably the most accomplished German side of all time. But he does have a philosophy, after all. I imagine his and Klopp's press conferences will be particularly amusing.

    For Americans, Stoke city is turning into the new Fulham and as someone before alluded, Sunderland has to pleased with its incoming striker as Jozy appears to be on the form of his life, Bedoya is in France, Johannsson is Jozy's replacement, Brooks in the Bundesliga with Jones, Parkhurst, and Fabian...Bradley's in Serie A.

    Idno...thought it was worth a shot since it seems there is plenty of discussion to be had.
    I wouldn't mind combining everything into a single thread at this point. There are only 4 more matchdays for CONCACAF WCQs before the playoff and the draw. But, with discussions of EPL, La Liga, MLS and other soccer matches from around the world, there will be plenty of discussion. What we can do is create separate threads later on for the World Cup draw and then the World Cup.

    What say you all?
    Last edited by blazindw; 08-15-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I wouldn't mind combining everything into a single thread at this point. There are only 4 more matchdays for CONCACAF WCQs before the playoff and the draw. But, with discussions of EPL, La Liga, MLS and other soccer matches from around the world, there will be plenty of discussion. What we can do is create separate threads later on for the World Cup draw and then the World Cup.

    What say you all?
    Yea I guess I didn't articulate that well, but I meant getting a "general" soccer discussion thread going again since, like you said, there's not a ton of WCQ to go and the Spanish and English leagues get going tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Well, I follow ManU in the EPL, which makes me feel kind of bad in some ways, but when I was a teenager, they were playing in the first true soccer game I ever watched, and from then on, I've been following them. I think they've got all the pieces this year to win again, (they haven't lost anybody from last year-Rooney notwithstanding), and I like the way Zaha has been playing. I wish they could have picked up Fabregas. With him, I think they are a lock for a top-2, but I think you're right that they are probably going to finish 2 or 3 behind Chelsea and/or ManCity.

    I haven't really found another team to root for, it's usually like Duke and UNC basketball, in which case I always root for Duke (ManU), and always root against UNC (Chelsea/ManCity). I used to like Spurs with Dempsey and I still have a little bit of a feeling for Tim and Everton, but otherwise, I'm mostly meh outside of ManU. I do hope that Jozy does well at Sunderland. Maybe that's a middle-of-the-pack team I can get behind.
    I am struggling with the ManU-Rooney saga as I root for ManU and Rooney is my favorite player. I wish he would stay and be happy, but it doesn't sound like that will happen, so it may be better if he is off to Chelsea. That, of course, leaves Chelsea as a much more likely champ or top 2 finisher.

  7. #7
    As of today, Time Warner subscribers cannot access NBC Sports Live Extra.

    Have I mentioned recently how much I hate Time Warner?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I wouldn't mind combining everything into a single thread at this point. There are only 4 more matchdays for CONCACAF WCQs before the playoff and the draw. But, with discussions of EPL, La Liga, MLS and other soccer matches from around the world, there will be plenty of discussion. What we can do is create separate threads later on for the World Cup draw and then the World Cup.

    What say you all?
    Oy oy oy!
    I do not think that word means what you think it means.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elon, NC
    Does anyone know which Direct TV channel will be carrying the Premier League games? I get an NBC Sorts Network channel on #220 but I'm not sure that is the specific channel that the Premier League will be on.
    Tom Mac

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Does anyone know which Direct TV channel will be carrying the Premier League games? I get an NBC Sorts Network channel on #220 but I'm not sure that is the specific channel that the Premier League will be on.
    Most of the games will be on 220 (The early game plus Arsenal-Aston Villa tomorrow, the two Sunday games, and the Monday game). Norwich-Everton is on 491, Sunderland-Fulham is on 492, West Ham Cardiff is on 493, and West Brom-Southampton is on 494. The late game tomorrow will be on your local NBC affiliate.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Yea I guess I didn't articulate that well, but I meant getting a "general" soccer discussion thread going again since, like you said, there's not a ton of WCQ to go and the Spanish and English leagues get going tomorrow.
    We've had separate soccer threads in the past and they eventually get merged as the discussions start to flow between each other. We can always create one-off threads and then link them back in. But, asking us to keep 2-3 threads active is hard work

    On another note, happy start of the EPL AND La Liga seasons today to everyone!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    This kind of access to EPL is beyond cool. I hope it catches on.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Some atrocious calls by the ref in the Arsenal/Villa game.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    These games have been spectacular thus far today. Leading off with Liverpool-Stoke was pure excitement from start to finish.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  15. #15
    The promotion chase is on. My boys are all alone in first after three weeks. Nine points, no goals conceded. C'mon you Reds!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The promotion chase is on. My boys are all alone in first after three weeks. Nine points, no goals conceded. C'mon you Reds!
    My club is a little bit far from thinking about promotion right now. I think we are in a death spiral. I just do not know whether it will be a quick one or the slow variety.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC

    The Special One is back!

    Nothing more need be said.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    These games have been spectacular thus far today. Leading off with Liverpool-Stoke was pure excitement from start to finish.
    The absolute best part about that game is that Liverpool DO NOT win it last year, the year before, or the year before that. That is exactly how we have played for several years now...overwhelming possession and chances created only to run into a keeper playing out of his mind...until the final few minutes when either a defensive error or quick counter results in the 88th minute stomach punch...and we drop 2 or 3 points.

    But it didn't happen and we have won the first league opener at Anfield for the first time since 2001-2002. Keep it up you Reds.

    YNWA,
    ...JG

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC

    Citeh's blue moon's a-risin' again

    Manchester City are loaded. Pure and simple. Did anyone watch them shellack Newcastle today?

    Navas and Fernandinho were two of the three best players. And the third was Edin Dzeko, the man that most thought would be the odd striker out...which isn't necessarily an insult when Aguero, Negredo, and Jovetic are also in the squad. But Negredo barely saw the field and Jovetic didn't make the bench (there's probably a reason for that). Anyhow, both Navas and Fernandinho look to be excellent buys that really round out City's squad.

    Chelsea/City should be some serious clashes of talent this year.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Manchester City are loaded. Pure and simple. Did anyone watch them shellack Newcastle today?

    Navas and Fernandinho were two of the three best players. And the third was Edin Dzeko, the man that most thought would be the odd striker out...which isn't necessarily an insult when Aguero, Negredo, and Jovetic are also in the squad. But Negredo barely saw the field and Jovetic didn't make the bench (there's probably a reason for that). Anyhow, both Navas and Fernandinho look to be excellent buys that really round out City's squad.

    Chelsea/City should be some serious clashes of talent this year.
    Pelligrini is used to having plenty of useful options, which he did well at Real and again at Malaga. He'll be able to keep almost everyone happy. Plus, with the League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League, all of them are going to get their playing time. But they are going to be scary good. Jesus Navas is the real deal and is going to flourish this year.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Similar Threads

  1. 2013-2014 Schedule
    By CameronDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 03:22 PM
  2. 2013 vs. 2014 Draft poll question
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM
  3. The Way Too Early 2013-2014 Top 25
    By luburch in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
  4. The ACC in 2013-2014
    By Duvall in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 02:28 PM
  5. 2013-2014 pre-season Tournament commitment?
    By slickrick2131 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •