Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Kiechly can do no wrong

For the second week in a row, Luke Kuechly benefits from a flag picked up in the end zone.

Late in the half, he's flagged for helmet-to-helmet contact on a receiver, knocking the ball loose. But the refs pick up the flag and the Dolphins have to kick a field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    For the second week in a row, Luke Kuechly benefits from a flag picked up in the end zone.

Late in the half, he's flagged for helmet-to-helmet contact on a receiver, knocking the ball loose. But the refs pick up the flag and the Dolphins have to kick a field goal.
    He's the Tyler Hansbrough of the NFL...except less fluent in Swahili.

And speaking of the cheaters...ugh...Louisville...really?

another game where the cats found their footing in the 2nd half…. giving it back to the other team with under a min to play and the D holds up…

good game…
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

it looked like he got the forearm out enough to not get the flag…..or should i say, for the flag NOT to stand...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Not enough good words for the D. No points allowed in the 2nd half. Very strong. Gave Cam and the offense time and opportunity to find their mojo.

Here's something I found interesting.

Duke Football:
    • Duke started unimpressively 2-2.
    • Duke Football lost on September 21st.
    • Duke went on to win 8 straight games.
    • Duke finally lost to the best team in their conference on 12/7.
    • Duke lost that game in convincing fashion on prime time TV, 45-7.
    • In that game Duke lost a player to a knee injury (Simmons) that turns out to be an MCL tear.

Panthers Football:
    • The Panthers started unimpressively at 1-3.
    • The Carolina Panthers lost on October 6th.
    • The Panthers went on to win 8 straight games.
    • The Panthers finally lost to the best team in their division on 12/8.
    • They lost that game in convincing fashion on prime time TV, 31-13
    • In that game the Panthers lost a player to a knee injury (Stewart) that looks to be an MCL tear.

I hadn't really noticed it at the time, but both teams had record winning streaks that happened almost in complete lock step to each other. As a fan of both, I certainly enjoyed the ride. Could it be that when Duke Football wins on Saturday, it bodes well for the Panthers? Or vice versa?
    "There can BE only one."

One other thing - the blatant facemask penalty on Ginn during his runback I thought was incredibly poor form on the Saints. It was the equivalent of an intentional foul in Basketball. However it only cost the Saints 15 yards and saved 4 points on the scoreboard. Makes me think there should be more of a punishment on a play like that than just 15 yards. In soccer, the player would have been ejected for a similar foul. In Basketball, we'd get 2 free throws and the ball. But in Football, we only got 15 yards. Doesn't seem right.
    "There can BE only one."

#2 Seed

Really good football game yesterday. Obviously the defense was just spectacular. Luke Kuechly is as dominant as any linebacker I've seen in quite some time. The guy is a beast.

The offense on the other hand was anemic until the last drive. The Panthers did not convert a 3rd down for the ENTIRE game! It was the first game won by a NFL team this year without a 3rd down conversion. They simply have to improve in that department to make a run in the playoffs. But with that defense anything is possible and will give them a shot in most every game if the offense can just be average.

A win next week against the lowly Falcons and we secure the #2 seed and a first round bye. Who would have thunk it after the 1 -3 start to the season? Go Cats!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Really good football game yesterday. Obviously the defense was just spectacular. Luke Kuechly is as dominant as any linebacker I've seen in quite some time. The guy is a beast.

The offense on the other hand was anemic until the last drive. The Panthers did not convert a 3rd down for the ENTIRE game! It was the first game won by a NFL team this year without a 3rd down conversion. They simply have to improve in that department to make a run in the playoffs. But with that defense anything is possible and will give them a shot in most every game if the offense can just be average.

A win next week against the lowly Falcons and we secure the #2 seed and a first round bye. Who would have thunk it after the 1 -3 start to the season? Go Cats!
    Agreed. Our defense was outstanding for most of the game and only allowed NO one decent drive the entire game. Offense did nothing save for Deangelo's big run for 59 minutes, but did just enough to pull it out. I still don't think we look like a super bowl caliber team, but we've proven we can play with the top teams in the NFC having beaten two of them already.

Re: third down - we are one of the best teams in the NFL on third down, which was why it was so surprising to see us struggle. Part of the reason we have been so good is our ability to stay on schedule and get third and short repeatedly. Cam apparently had an ankle injury that prevented him from scrambling, and Smitty went out early with a knee injury, which really limited our offensive options.

I think it is critical for us to beat the Falcons and get a 1st round bye. Smitty and Stewart could both use the extra week of rest to hopefully be healthy enough to contribute. I like our chances on the road against a Dallas, but not so much against Chicago, Philly, or Green Bay.
    "There can BE only one."

Well if we win, Seattle loses, and SanFran wins we get the number one overall seed and Seattle falls to a 5 seed!
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

If I owned the Lions, I would have run out on the field and fired Schwartz tout de suite. And then I would have kicked him in the rear end.
    Lions: the worst, worstest, most heinous team in the entire history of sports in the whole universe ever. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post

Duke Football:
    • In that game Duke lost a player to a knee injury (Simmons) that turns out to be an MCL tear.

Panthers Football:
    • In that game the Panthers lost a player to a knee injury (Stewart) that looks to be an MCL tear.

I hadn't really noticed it at the time, but both teams had record winning streaks that happened almost in complete lock step to each other. As a fan of both, I certainly enjoyed the ride. Could it be that when Duke Football wins on Saturday, it bodes well for the Panthers? Or vice versa?
    Both teams have a beast Mike (Middle) linebacker who wears #59! Kelby Brown - WOW!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

well, the cats get it done by a point…..the bye week will help….hopefully, they get smitty back AND he's good to go…

defense is looking stellar……cam is a work in progress….

go panthers...

I find Cam to be frustrating to watch. He has tremendous physical gifts, but doesn't seem able to throw anything but heat.

I really didn't want to play the winner of Green Bay or San Fran... But you gotta pull for Green Bay here I think. It's really hard to beat a good team twice and their defense is atrocious, so if we put up some points, should be able to get a few stops against the GB offense.

Also, above poster, we don't question Cam Newton. He's the best player in the NFL. There aren't stats to back that up, but I don't need them because he is. If we ever lose a game, it's definitely on somebody other than Cam.

Duke Football:

Panthers Football:

I hope the parallel analogy breaks this week. Otherwise, look for Carolina to play a near perfect half, but fall asleep in the second and let the Niners back into the game, surrendering the lead in the last 5 minutes on some late turnovers.
    "There can BE only one."

I hope the parallel analogy breaks this week. Otherwise, look for Carolina to play a near perfect half, but fall asleep in the second and let the Niners back into the game, surrendering the lead in the last 5 minutes on some late turnovers.
    Key difference: The Panthers defense is awesome. Duke's, eh, we'll say there is room for vast improvement.

Crickets

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Crickets
    That's the sound Panthers fans make after a loss.

The most fairweather fans I've seen, except perhaps in Atlanta and Chapel Hill.

When the Panthers stink, they go back to being Dallas and Pittsburgh fans faster than you can say "Richardson".

well, i just got home from work……..so…here i is..

poorly played game……came out hitting hard, but 6 plays on the 1 and only 3 pts to show for it……that's the story…

first half - good smitty, 2nd half - bad smitty….(or just slow mitty). couple of tipped passes intercepted made cam's game look bad…

terrible play calling and riverboat ron not having them ready to play……

on to next year…….bur right now, GO BRONCOS