Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tiger, Majors, and this week's PGA Championship

I can't say that I actually understand what this guy has to say, but I think that it might have some bearing on what happens to Tiger in majors. What that bearing might be is anybody's guess. This neuroscientist's educated guess might be worth a nickel. http://on.ted.com/Wolpert

Said it before...I'll say it again - Tiger won't win another major. OK, I guess it's certainly possible...but my opinion is that he won't. They are simply too hard to win, and he has too much pressure on him and through him.

I hope I'm wrong, because I actually like Tiger - but I would be the field against him this weekend and do so gladly.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Said it before...I'll say it again - Tiger won't win another major. OK, I guess it's certainly possible...but my opinion is that he won't. They are simply too hard to win, and he has too much pressure on him and through him.

I hope I'm wrong, because I actually like Tiger - but I would be the field against him this weekend and do so gladly.
    You know -- you could say the same thing about any golfer out there, and probably be right. It may be summer time, but majors ain't easy.

I would take Tiger against the field this week.

There are lots of people who continue to think he'll never win another major, and that seems to be based on the idea that he has a mental block when it comes to majors - that he puts more pressure on himself. I just don't get that. Yeah, he wants to win majors more than anything. But Tiger wants to win, period, every time he tees it up. And he is winning at a remarkable rate - 5 times in 11 starts this year including the biggest non-majors against world class fields. During the last year and a half, he has dominated the tour like he did 10 years ago. He is at the exact same pace that Nicklaus was - meaning same number of majors at the same age. He is winning tournaments and contending in almost every major. The idea that he's never going to win another one doesn't make sense to me. If he can continue to play at a high level until he's 45-ish (and there are plenty of guys in the 37-45 age range who are in the top 30 in the world - Mickelson, Westwood, Els, etc.) then he has 30-35 majors between now and then. I can't see him going 0-fer 32. I more easily could see him winning 5-10 majors between now and the end of his career.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

My comment above had nothing to do about mental edge, but rather addressed the prior post saying that Tiger can't hold up physically. Regardless of competition and pressure, 72 holes of major golf is the same (physically) as 72 holes of non-major golf. His body can clearly handle it ... its his mind that may be a little vulnerable.

That said, I take Tiger against the field everytime out, major or not. So far this year that has been a pretty good bet (including against Firestone against one of the year's best fields.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

It is really early but you-know-who is 2-under thru 7 and currently tied for 4th.

-Jason "dude has won 6 out of 12 tournaments this year -- the idea that he has no chance to win another Major is beyond silly" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "dude has won 6 out of 12 tournaments this year -- the idea that he has no chance to win another Major is beyond silly" Evans
    While I agree with this, the more germane issue for me is whether he will catch Jack. Superlatives should generally be avoided, but I think, for reasons I posted before, that Tiger has almost(hedging a bit) no chance of passing him.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is really early but you-know-who is 2-under thru 7 and currently tied for 4th.

He finished +1. -2 on the back nine, which he played first, then 1 bogey and a double bogey (+2) on his last hole, #9. I have no idea (yet) how he managed to do that.

Maybe he's reversing his trend of hot first 2 rounds and then mediocre weekend finishes in the majors? As long as he makes the cut, that might work.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

He's currently 6 shots out of the lead with a ton of people ahead of him. DOA - he won't win this major.

Now it's back to The Masters next April, where a lot of great golfers have the game to challenge that course and Tiger.

I'm actually pulling for the guy - but the pressure for him to win these now is almost unfair and certainly seems to affect him (especially when compared to earlier in his career when he took that pressure, ate it up and used it to dominate everyone).

He'll win another major when everyone least expects it.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    He's currently 6 shots out of the lead with a ton of people ahead of him. DOA - he won't win this major.
    That's ridiculous, it's Thursday! The field is only 25% of the way to the end of the course. Things can certainly change.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    He'll win another major when everyone least expects it.
    So like never? One of the hard parts about golf viewership [esp Majors] is having hear about Tiger 98% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    So like never?
    Yes, very possibly. Also, he doesn't have the kind of game characteristic of guys who win majors in their 40s.

Now it's back to The Masters next April, where a lot of great golfers have the game to challenge that course and Tiger.

I'm actually pulling for the guy - but the pressure for him to win these now is almost unfair and certainly seems to affect him (especially when compared to earlier in his career when he took that pressure, ate it up and used it to dominate everyone).
    I've never been a strong Tiger fan, but one can only marvel at the level of golfing excellence he attains when he's got that famous "A" game going. I'd agree that he can't dominate as he has in the past. The major obstacle to this is the work ethic he forced on the competition just so they could HOPE to win against him. Tiger was the template, and the rest of the world saw what was possible. Just like Roger Bannister and the four-minute mile - once he bettered the magical barrier, it was easier to do by other gifted athletes. I see no way that Phil Mickelson could play like he has in his forties without the gauntlet thrown down by Tiger.

I expect Tiger to win those 5 majors he needs to pass Jack. Pressure or not, the man has too much talent not to win some more majors. He might actually come from behind one Sunday and end one of the weirdest runs in all of majors golf history. Now, THAT seems more likely to me than him not winning another one. Gotta stay healthy, of course.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

After shooting 65 yesterday Adam Scott has played 7 holes today and birdied 3 of them. If he keeps this up he may run away with it. Premature I know but just saying the guy is playing some fantastic golf. With one major already this year and a close call at the British, a win this week and he would be a shoe in for player of the year no matter what he does the rest of the year.

By the way, Tiger is now 9 shots off the lead and hasn't even stepped on the course yet.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Tiger's first round was certainly disappointing, particularly given how he dominated the field just one week ago at Firestone.

The double-bogey finish was very easily avoidable. After he hit his drive into the deep stuff, he could've just hit a shot down the fairway. He could easily have left himself in gap wedge range from a perfect lie. From there, bogey would likely have been the worst possible outcome, and par was certainly possible. Instead, he tried to hit a miracle shot onto the green, which left him in very deep greenside rough, eventually leading to the double bogey. It was a very old-school Phil-like thing to do.

Still, I'd say it's too early to count him completely out, and I think the insistence that he'll never win another major is kind of ridiculous. He might not, but to be confident of that borders on crazy, IMO.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Tiger was +3 today and at +4 for the Championship, which is 13 strokes off the lead. A surge today could have put him within striking distance but it wasn't to be. He is done.
    Bob Green

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Still, I'd say it's too early to count him completely out.
    May I count Tiger out now? He's toast.

The fact that this entire thread conversation is about Tiger, and not Dufner or Stenson and Sticker and Furyk, indicates that Tiger is still the most relevant player out there. Love him or hate him, he is still the best, from everyone's focus.
    ~rthomas

Jason Day is making a charge at the leaders! He is -6 through 13 holes.
    Bob Green