Moving to the Triangle

Well, I have finally fled my mountain abode in Asheville...started a great new job today in Carrboro...right off of Weaver St. For the time being I am living with a friend in Rougemont NE of Hillsborough. I would gladly accept any advice, awesome restaurants (I will miss this most from home). I like almost any food, especially spicy food -- indian, thai, latin, middle eastern (for awhile my diet in college was almost entirely hummus and schwarma). Also, cool places to hang out, sports bars to watch Duke BB games, local breweries to try, etc etc.

Allen & Son Bar-B-Que

Crook's Corner

Foster's Market

Mama Dip's Kitchen

Tyler's Taproom

Elmo's Diner

Cat's Cradle
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Well, I have finally fled my mountain abode in Asheville...started a great new job today in Carrboro...right off of Weaver St. For the time being I am living with a friend in Rougemont NE of Hillsborough. I would gladly accept any advice, awesome restaurants (I will miss this most from home). I like almost any food, especially spicy food -- indian, thai, latin, middle eastern (for awhile my diet in college was almost entirely hummus and schwarma). Also, cool places to hang out, sports bars to watch Duke BB games, local breweries to try, etc etc.
    ahh carrboro, i miss that town very much. pretty much every restaurant is good. i would strongly suggest vimala's for indian, venable for 'new american' and weaver street market for its lovely buffet. med deli is a good middle eastern place, lantern is an excellent asian place (and the bar in the back is awesome, though i can't remember its name). there is an outstanding mexican place south on 54 that maybe someone can remind me the name of. neal's deli is a nice new york style lunch place. the bars are also great, (orange county social club and speakeasy are very cool), and i had some luck getting the duke game turned on at spotted dog and even at four corners on franklin (where a coach mike coaster floats in the urinal, and every receipt reminds you that 'I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. sucks'). i think i miss the coffee places most - looking glass on main street is a great place to grab a cup of coffee or a beer and sit outside. open eye on greensboro is excellent. johnny's is an old bait and tackle shop a little further down that is also very charming.

and this is just carrboro. basically, i'm very jealous of you.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Hope you ordered your season football tix.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hope you ordered your season football tix.
    Speaking of season tix, when will they be mailed out.? I thought the middle of July was the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Speaking of season tix, when will they be mailed out.? I thought the middle of July was the norm.
    Last year it was the middle of August. When I placed my order this year the agent assured me the tickets would be shipped in early August. In order to keep this on topic...

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    I would gladly accept any advice...cool places to hang out...
    Wallace Wade Stadium is a cool place to hangout!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Last year it was the middle of August. When I placed my order this year the agent assured me the tickets would be shipped in early August. In order to keep this on topic...

Wallace Wade Stadium is a cool place to hangout!

Last year, after making a dozen phone calls on my own, and enlisting the help of some folks well connected with the Iron Dukes I finally got mine the day before the first game, after having to drive to the box office twice. It was one of the worst "customer service" experiences of my life. Given that the stadium is usually only half full, I've had season tickets for 8 years, and my wife is a 20+ employee of the university I though they might try a little harder. They didn't. Of course I have bought them again, but my expectations for delivery are low.