Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I prefer cooking my own steak. I know my grill and most times it's going to be perfectly med rare and not too salty.

About steakhouses, and any restaurant for that matter: To a large degree, it's about who you are with, how much you drink (not too much but certainly enough), the appetizers, salad and potato.

The wine matters.

For desserts, it's hard to beat Angus Barn. But usually, I'm too full to indulge.
    ~rthomas

Gibson's in Chicago is a remarkable place and deserves its high ranking. The next time the Blue Devils are in town, give it a try. They claim to be the only steak joint in the US with their own
    USDA Prime designation. No idea if that's true or not, but the steaks are fantastic. Just be forewarned that the side dishes are generally large enough to feed four people, and that's not an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Gibson's in Chicago is a remarkable place and deserves its high ranking. The next time the Blue Devils are in town, give it a try. They claim to be the only steak joint in the US with their own
    USDA Prime designation. No idea if that's true or not, but the steaks are fantastic. Just be forewarned that the side dishes are generally large enough to feed four people, and that's not an exaggeration.
    This November!

I've only been to Gibson's once, but greatly enjoyed it as they have really quality meat and a good ambiance (not even close to the dive bar they display on the show, The League ). But if you go, you MUST also try their desserts. While the steaks are hard to top, the desserts may surpass them - they are amazing. Although it's hard to still have space in the stomach after the main course. I'm also an Angus Barn fan as it also has personal meaning on top of the good food and cool atmosphere. Also enjoyed Charlie Palmer Steak in DC.

Rathbun Steaks is excellent and I highly recomend it to anyone visiting Atlanta. However, their side dishes get a little funky, and if you are in the mood for a true steak house, you will probably enjoy the experience at Bones better than at Rathbun Steaks. In either case, you will not be disappointed.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    This November!

I've only been to Gibson's once, but greatly enjoyed it as they have really quality meat and a good ambiance (not even close to the dive bar they display on the show, The League ). But if you go, you MUST also try their desserts. While the steaks are hard to top, the desserts may surpass them - they are amazing. Although it's hard to still have space in the stomach after the main course. I'm also an Angus Barn fan as it also has personal meaning on top of the good food and cool atmosphere. Also enjoyed Charlie Palmer Steak in DC.
    I had a chocolate cake dessert which was larger than Barry Bonds' head. It could feed 3-4 hungry people easily.
    I also very much appreciate the extraordinarily professional (but not overbearing) wait staff...they help make it a very enjoyable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    For desserts, it's hard to beat Angus Barn. But usually, I'm too full to indulge.
    Never too full for their chocolate chess pie. It's #1 or #2 in my top desserts. The other is the chocolate waffle at Sweetwater in NoVA.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Second the vote for Craftsteak

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Kraft at the MGM in Vegas is the best steak house I have ever experienced. Go with a large group and get the group samplers (there is a fancier name, but it is a variety of cuts so you get a number of steaks). Unbelievably good.
    Love Craftsteak. I'd also note, that while sue71 didn't love the service there, my wife and I went when she was six months pregnant, and they tailored the tasting menu around her more delicate stomach (and a food allergy) and took great care of us. My wife and I both thought the food and the experience was top shelf.

Here in Chicago, Gibson's is a staple, but Chicago Cut, Gene and Georgetti's and Chicago Chop House are all really, really good too.

As for chains, I've never been impressed with Morton's. The steak itself wasn't as good, and two of the times I've been to Morton's, they've missed the temperature. I like Capital Grille and Smith and Wollensky -- both of which have very good Chicago outposts. Ruth's Chris is better than Morton's but not as good as Capital Grille and Smith and Wollensky. Fleming's is okay, but I wouldn't put it on par with any of these chains.

Mrs. 1995 likes Sam & Harry's quite a bit when she's in DC for work. Charlie Palmer Steak was good when she and I were there.

start here...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    start here...
    Is that one still moo-ing?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Is that one still moo-ing?
    "carpaccio on the bone"

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Never too full for their chocolate chess pie. It's #1 or #2 in my top desserts. The other is the chocolate waffle at Sweetwater in NoVA.
    All the Great American Restaurants (Coastal Flatts, Mike's American Grill, Sweetwater, Carlyle Grand, etc.) have the chocolate flourless waffle, and yes, it's incredible. Their keylime pie is excellent too.

The fact that Bern's finished #2 on this list is a travesty. Bern's is the greatest steakhouse ever. And you have to go to the dessert room and take the tour (a great steakhouse gives tours during your meal)...which includes the largest wine cellar of any restaurant in the US and maybe the world.:

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

My runner up is Plaza III in Kansas City.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

We ate at St Elmo's Restaurant in Indianapolis the evening before the National Championship 2010. Everything was delicious, from the Shrimp cocktail to the NY Strip and the Creme Brulee. The Service was excellent.

My Favorite in North Carolina has always been The Angus Barn. The homemade crackers and crock cheese are the best!!! I like both the Spinach salad with their own recipe of Poppyseed dressing or the Blue Cheese Wedge Salad. All cuts of steaks are great!!! Order a dessert to take home! If it is your birthday or anniversary, you get a complimentary Pound Cake!!!

The Angus Barn is always decorated so beautiful for Christmas Holidays!!!! And visit the Country Store before you leave!!!!