Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The nation's best steakhouses

A website called The Lifetime Mirror has picked from The Daily Meal a list of the 20 best steakhouses in America. Some I've actually eaten at, some I've eschewed and others I've never heard of. Anyway, I thought I'd ask the meat eaters in this group about this list and whether they have their own list of the best or are upset that their favorite didn't make the cut.

I notice that the list did not include at least two chains whose steaks are extremely popular--Ruth's Chris and Fleming's. Popular, of course, is only as good as the local steakmeister can make it.

Anyway, there are two on the Daily Meals' list that I can vouch for: Cattlemen's on the outskirts of El Paso and Gorat's in Omaha (some locals think it's overrated..ehh...). I've been forced to skip SF's House of Prime Rib because reservations are darn near impossible (and I love my local Fleming's). (Why drive to SF, when Fleming's is 2 miles away?)

One of my top favorites is the Far Western Bar and Grill in Guadalupe, California, about 10 miles from Santa Maria and 150 north of L.A.

Anyway, I encourage any and all contributions or comments on the validity of the linked list.

I love the Ruth's Chris in Arlington, VA. The one in Fairfax not so much. Fleming's in Tyson's Corner, VA is good but not great. The Palm in DC is excellent. Wyldfire in Tyson's Corner is good and fun for the 50s atmosphere, but doesn't measure up to the RC in Arlington.

I've only eaten in one or two of the list. I WILL say that I have heard from several people that St. Elmo's kind of floats on its reputation and is more of an experience now than really a great steakhouse.

My personal favorite anywhere is the Angus Barn. I try to get there EVERY time I'm in the RTP. My wife likes it too.

The Aberdeen Barn in Williamsburg is good, but not at the level of Angus Barn.

I am a huge fan of Peter Luger in Brooklyn, so I'm pleased to see it ranked so highly, and would recommend it to any visitors to this fair city. Keen's is good, but I don't think I'd consider it the 2nd best in NY, so it seems a bit high to me. (It is well revered for its mutton chop however). Those are the only ones on the list I've been to.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    A website called The Lifetime Mirror has picked from The Daily Meal a list of the 20 best steakhouses in America. Some I've actually eaten at, some I've eschewed and others I've never heard of. Anyway, I thought I'd ask the meat eaters in this group about this list and whether they have their own list of the best or are upset that their favorite didn't make the cut.

I notice that the list did not include at least two chains whose steaks are extremely popular--Ruth's Chris and Fleming's. Popular, of course, is only as good as the local steakmeister can make it.

Anyway, there are two on the Daily Meals' list that I can vouch for: Cattlemen's on the outskirts of El Paso and Gorat's in Omaha (some locals think it's overrated..ehh...). I've been forced to skip SF's House of Prime Rib because reservations are darn near impossible (and I love my local Fleming's). (Why drive to SF, when Fleming's is 2 miles away?)

One of my top favorites is the Far Western Bar and Grill in Guadalupe, California, about 10 miles from Santa Maria and 150 north of L.A.

Anyway, I encourage any and all contributions or comments on the validity of the linked list.

A thread I can relate to!

This is just my opinion, so YMMV.

I have pretty consistently been underwhelmed with Flemings. It's not on par with Ruth's Chris or Morton's, though it seems to strive for the same market. To me, it's in between Outback and Ruth's Chris & Morton's.

That being said, I think Ruth's Chris is overrated and overpriced. It's good, perhaps even very good. But it's not great nor as good as Morton's.

Now Morton's is fabulous, and overall has not disappointed. It's our go to upscale steakhouse. However, with the takeover by Landry's, I've seen some small changes that have made me start to wonder about the long-term direction Landry's is taking it. We know the staff at the Morton's we usually go to, so we've discussed some of the small changes we've noticed. Some righted themselves, and others have stayed. I guess it remains to be seen. One thing about Morton's, though, and maybe it's because we go often somewhat regularly and have had an event there, but the service is always top notch. Even if it's several months between visits (as it often is), they always remember us and we are well taken care of.

I realize those are nationwide chains, but I figured I'd start there. As for the list in the article, I've been to Murray's (fabulous hash browns, amazing food with portions that are quite big), Gorat's (very good but doesn't stand out a whole lot), CarneVino (awesome gnocchi we split as either an app or a side- i forget), and Gibson's (I honestly don't remember anything about it).

Of those 4, I'd go with Murray's, followed by Carnevino. I'm hoping to get to Cut soon, since it's not too far from me. Eventually I would love to get to Bern's and Peter Luger- I've never heard anything but raves about them. Also, IIRC, Cattleman's was on Man v. Food once.

If you're ever looking for info on steakhouses in LV, hit me up. I've been to nearly all of them, and there are some really good ones off strip.

And yes, I'm one of the Angus Barn devotees. Best prime rib I've ever had.

I can vouch for Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse. Very good. quite plentiful.

Flemings is ok, Mortons is pretty good also. Locally, Jimmy V's and Angus Barn, along with Bin 54 are tops for me. Haven't had the privilege to go to any on the list.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Bern's and Peter Luger should be at or near the top of any credible list as they are on this one. Gibson's in Chicago is almost as good, but I'm not convinced Barclay Prime is even the best in Philly and seems too highly rated here. I prefer Bob's Steak and Chop House over Pappas Bros. in Dallas, but it has been years since I ate at either.

A sentimental favorites is, of course, Angus Barn. An important aspect of any steakhouse evaluation, in my opinion, must include the wine list. Except for Bern's, I doubt there is a better steakhouse wine cellar in the U.S.A. The Barn is an original and still designated Wine Spectator Grand Award winner. So it has that going for it, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    A thread I can relate to!

This is just my opinion, so YMMV.

I have pretty consistently been underwhelmed with Flemings. It's not on par with Ruth's Chris or Morton's, though it seems to strive for the same market. To me, it's in between Outback and Ruth's Chris & Morton's.

That being said, I think Ruth's Chris is overrated and overpriced. It's good, perhaps even very good. But it's not great nor as good as Morton's.

Now Morton's is fabulous, and overall has not disappointed. It's our go to upscale steakhouse. However, with the takeover by Landry's, I've seen some small changes that have made me start to wonder about the long-term direction Landry's is taking it. We know the staff at the Morton's we usually go to, so we've discussed some of the small changes we've noticed. Some righted themselves, and others have stayed. I guess it remains to be seen. One thing about Morton's, though, and maybe it's because we go often somewhat regularly and have had an event there, but the service is always top notch. Even if it's several months between visits (as it often is), they always remember us and we are well taken care of.

I realize those are nationwide chains, but I figured I'd start there. As for the list in the article, I've been to Murray's (fabulous hash browns, amazing food with portions that are quite big), Gorat's (very good but doesn't stand out a whole lot), CarneVino (awesome gnocchi we split as either an app or a side- i forget), and Gibson's (I honestly don't remember anything about it).

Of those 4, I'd go with Murray's, followed by Carnevino. I'm hoping to get to Cut soon, since it's not too far from me. Eventually I would love to get to Bern's and Peter Luger- I've never heard anything but raves about them. Also, IIRC, Cattleman's was on Man v. Food once.

If you're ever looking for info on steakhouses in LV, hit me up. I've been to nearly all of them, and there are some really good ones off strip.

And yes, I'm one of the Angus Barn devotees. Best prime rib I've ever had.
    Funny, I've always preferred Ruth's Chris, at least the one in Arlington, to Morton's (or Sam & Harry's) here in the DMV. As someone else said, the chains are governed by the quality (or lack thereof) of the staff at each individual location. I was also pretty underwhelmed by the Shula's in Orlando.

As for the middle tier chains, Outback has really fallen off for me the last few years. I don't really go anymore, because the last few times I went the steak was underseasoned and just generally a fattier and lesser quality cut.

JMHO.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I am a huge fan of Peter Luger in Brooklyn, so I'm pleased to see it ranked so highly, and would recommend it to any visitors to this fair city. Keen's is good, but I don't think I'd consider it the 2nd best in NY, so it seems a bit high to me. (It is well revered for its mutton chop however). Those are the only ones on the list I've been to.
    My father would second the endorsement of Peter Luger. He worked down the block, and Had one of their credit cards. (it's cash only otherwise.)

Each time we planned on going, something came up, so I have yet to make it there. The last time, I was planning on taking my niece there before a Duke game in the Garden, and we got snowed in back in NJ. Perhaps this Thanksgiving for the NIT, should we be fortunate enough to win our first two games and make it there.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I was also pretty underwhelmed by the Shula's in Orlando.
    I've been to a Shula's. Norfolk, VA maybe? Anyway, I was also quite unimpressed. I even gave it a second chance which confirmed mediocre food and added crappy service.

chains

I think the best steakhouse I've ever eaten at was Smith & Wollensky in New York.

As far as chains, I would rate Ruth's Chris and Morton's at the top. Both are a bit expensive, but the quality is outstanding. Maybe there are some bad locations ... I don't know. I've only visited two Mortons (Chicago and Atlanta), but I've been to half a dozen Ruth's Chris and I've never gotten a bad steak.

I was disappointed both times I visit Shula's (the original in Tampa). One trip to Flemings (in Atlanta) didn't make an impression.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sullivan's. I've tried the Charlotte and the Indianapolis locations and both were fantastic. Incidentally, St. Elmo's in Indy is near the top of my list. Not a chain, but great steaks and the best shrimp cocktail I've ever had.

As for local steak houses, I think the Angus Barn is in a class by itself -- or the local places (Raleigh does have a Ruth Chris, a Flemings and a Sullivans).

I had heard people rave about the Homestead (south of Roxboro) for years and finally visited last month, but while the facility was nice and the service was good, the steak was terrible. I get better steaks at Lone Star or Outback.

I used to love Hartman's on Greer Street. But it started going downhill in the '90s and is now, I understand, out of business.

It has been years since I've gone to Jess & Jim's. Casual atmosphere. Went for a family bday celebration ans noticed that they didn't take credit cards, which I knew Dad woukd have planned to use. As the bday girl, I was the only one with cash at the table so thought I might be paying for dinner. Didn't have to as they would take a check. That has probably changed.

i've been to a number of Ruth's Chris and they've all been very good. The Angus Barn has excellent atmosphere, but I've never had what i consider to be a really QUALITY cut (i like bone-in ribeye). They are good, but not great...

Flemmings is pretty good..

for me, I like Sullivan's in Raleigh...I've only been served a less-than-awesome cut there once, and they replaced it immediately with a great one and gave me a$25 gift card as a make up offering... Their wine list is plenty "up-scale" for me, and the calamari is to die for...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Great thread. Amazed something like this has not been a topic sooner. And, BTW, keep adding the cheesy/creamy/bacon-y side dishes (and desserts!) to your giant steaks. I'll be sending my business cards soon.

I think I went to Murray's many, many years ago. I still like the AB-great food, local, 50+ years in business, IIRC, and a place for several very special devildeac family celebrations. Never dined at a Ruth Chris. Found Sullivan's to be loud, over-priced and unaccommodating on two different occasion. I found Flemings in Raleigh to be very good recently, along with Morton's in DC several years ago. Went to several brewpubs in Indianapolis over the years instead of St. Elmos.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Del Frisco's is probably the best steak I've had. It's pricey even compared with Morton's or Sullivan's though.

Fleming's is a personal favorite. Their steak is excellent and their mac and cheese is phenomenal too.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great thread. Amazed something like this has not been a topic sooner. And, BTW, keep adding the cheesy/creamy/bacon-y side dishes (and desserts!) to your giant steaks. I'll be sending my business cards soon.
    Heh. As long as your colleagues keep prescribing statins for us old folks, our cholesterol numbers will be good.

Admittedly, though, there are other ticker concerns where we might be obliged to seek your services.

What, you need more patients?

Love the Angus Barn! Thanks to Mike Corey for honoring our bet way back during the KyrieToeVigil days! Also love their crock of cheddar cheese, crackers and pickles.

Only been to Ruth's Chris once, in Cary, when they were in their old location. I was very underwhelmed. Never been to Sullivan's or Fleming's in Raleigh. Never been to a Morton's, either.

OK, y'all are going to call BS on me, but if you want a really good ribeye at a reasonable price (~$15 for their 12 oz cut), try Chili's. I loved their seasoning so much, I asked if they sold it? No, they don't, but they put a few ounces in a styrofoam container, covered with saran wrap, and I use it at home when I grill steaks. The original supply came from a store in Lancaster, PA, and I recently got a refill locally! I guess it's a common salt/pepper/whoknowswhatelse mix, with a touch of garlic in it. It really brings out the sweet, smokey melt-in-your-mouth flavor I love in steak!

My all time favorite steak house is no more - Trails End in Wilmington, NC, not too far from Monkey Junction. Their NY Strip was to die for!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What, you need more patients?
    Yep. All those 80 and 90 somethings that I've taken care of for a while won't be around forever.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Yep. All those 80 and 90 somethings that I've taken care of for a while won't be around forever.
    So, are you pro-salting potato skins too?

I really hate this, pet Irish peeve.

You can tell a lot about a steakhouse by how they treat their taters.