World Series of Poker - 2013

Ok, we are well past due for this thread (even if only about 5 of us read and contribute to it).

The Main Event is into day #2 (actually, it is day #5 -- 1A, 1B, 1C, 2AB, and today is 2C) and something remarkable is happening...

Doyle Brunson is kicking butt!!

Texas Dolly hasn't cashed in a major event since the 2011 World Series of Poker Main Event. Granted, he doesn't exactly travel the world playing events as much as he used to, but the living legend has been largely unheard from in the tournament world until the past few days. At the conclusion of day 2AB yesterday, he bagged up 224,000 chips, putting him among the top in chips in the Main Event. Now, there are still more than 2000 players alive in the tourney and only the top 648 will get paid but Doyle is in great position to make a real meaningful run. Greg Merson, last year's Main Event champion, is also in great shape with more than 200k in chips.

Today will be day 2 for many of the biggest names in the game. Phil Ivey, Michael "The Grinder" Mizrahi, and Phil Helmuth all had really strong first days and are in great chip shape headed into today's action. Daniel Negreanu and Antonio Esfandiari are still alive as well, but have a lot of work to do to get into a good chip position.

Also, interesting little side note -- you start the Main Event with 30,000 in chips. Two well-known pros, Tom "Drrr" Dwan and Gun Hansen, both failed to show up for all of Day 1. They each saw their 30,000 chip stacks whittled slowly away due to blinds and antes being taken out. As a result, Dwan and Hansen will start today with just under 18,000 chips each. That is how many chips you would have left if you just folded every single time on day one. Conversely, Negreanu and Esfandiari played all of day one and they each start with about 15,000 chips. I just found that amusing.

-Jason "if Doyle makes a deep run, it would be so great!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jason,

Do you know if they are they showing any of the Main Event on ESPN (with a 30 minute tape delay) like they have done the last couple years? I don't know what kind of rating this got, but I was fascinated by that coverage as opposed to a highlights show.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Jason,

Do you know if they are they showing any of the Main Event on ESPN (with a 30 minute tape delay) like they have done the last couple years? I don't know what kind of rating this got, but I was fascinated by that coverage as opposed to a highlights show.
    I enjoyed it too, but sadly it must not have gotten the kind of ratings they wanted as they won't be doing it again this year. Here is the schedule for this year. The only "virtually-live" event they will broadcast will be the final table on Nov 4 and 5. Everything else will be tape-delayed highlight shows. Sigh...

-Jason "I think you can watch some of it on-line" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Day 2C is seeing many of the biggest names in the game shoot to the top of the leaderboard. It is not over yet, but...

Michael "The Grinder" Mizrahi is currently leading the entire field with more than 530,000 chips. Grinder has had some HUGE showings in big money tournaments in recent years. He and all 3 of his brothers all made the money last year.

Jean-Robert Bellande, of Survivor fame and the king of #BrokeLiving is 4th with 321,000 chips. Before the tourney began JRB tweeted an image of his bank account showing $10,800 in it, implying that he just barely had enough money to pay for his entry. After the tourney began he tweeted that he had only managed to sell off about 14% of himself to backers, meaning he could be in line for a really big score if he goes far.

Phil Ivey, the "Tiger Woods" of Poker, took a few big hits early in the day and was down to about 50k in chips at one point. But, he has come back and is now at 176,000, good for top 30 in the tournament.

Phil Helmuth, the man with more World Series bracelets than any other, is at 166,000 chips. his already huge ego is probably totally out of control a this point.

There are probably a dozen more big-name pros over 100,000 in chips. This could be really fun... if ESPN would bother to broadcast it.

-Jason "Negreanu busted earlier today -- so did Dwan and Hansen. Serves those two right for not playing at all on day one" Evans

By the way, Grinder leads because of this huge, huge hand that netted him something like 180,000 chips.

-Jason "that's poker -- flop trip Qs and get beat when your opponent's flush draw turns into a straight instead" Evans

When does coverage start? Am watching A-P game right now, really hate Kid Poker but he is drawing sick.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When does coverage start? Am watching A-P game right now, really hate Kid Poker but he is drawing sick.
    In a few weeks they start with coverage of Day 3 of the main event. They will progress every Tuesday until they catch up with real time for the November 9 to play the final table. We wont be getting any of the live coverage of the early days of the main event like we did last year.

-Jason "DNeg is drawing ridiculous in the tourney they are airing tonight" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    In a few weeks they start with coverage of Day 3 of the main event. They will progress every Tuesday until they catch up with real time for the November 9 to play the final table. We wont be getting any of the live coverage of the early days of the main event like we did last year.

-Jason "DNeg is drawing ridiculous in the tourney they are airing tonight" Evans
    In the WSOP, one of my buddies got quads against Texas Dolly. Hope it makes the show. Busted out at $32k or so.

Would love to play WSOP, alas I am a 2/4 man.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "that's poker -- flop trip Qs and get beat when your opponent's flush draw turns into a straight instead" Evans
    I believe the jargon would have it as a "set" of Qs. "Trips" means two on the board and one in your hand - I remember it as a hand one may trip into, rather than one which was set to go.

I did make it down to watch the WSOP this year, which isn't saying much as I live in Vegas. I play cash, rather than tournaments, but it's still fun to watch.

s.i.

Fang is my new favorite player. Whenever I do something stupid, I can remember greater foolishness on a world stage.

Million chips? Spllllluuuuffffhhhhhh.......

Did not realize that Newbouse was from Chapel Hill -- is he a Carolina student/grad?

According to his bio at cardplayer.com, he was born in Chapel Hill and attended Appalachian State University. He quit school after a year and a half to pursue his poker career.

JC Tran the favorite?

I am pulling for Farber.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 11-04-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Farber seems like a nice guy, but I think I'm rooting for J.C. Tran.

Down to six, all good stories.

Surprised Loosli has been so inactive.

Down to three tonight? Is that right?

Actually, they will be heads up. Riess vs. Farber, with Farber having a 105 million to 85 million chip advantage.

Norman Chad, Maryland grad, giving Cameron some props!