Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ACC Baseball in the NCAAT

I know Duke has not been a factor in baseball for years, but hopefully that's going to change with an impressive young coach.

Still, the fact that four ACC teams are in action today for the NCAA Super Regionals -- a best-of-3 format that is basically the equivalent to the Sweet 16 in basketball -- I thought I'd talk about ACC baseball.

The league is one of the NCAA's best baseball conferences when it comes to rankings and qualifying for the College World Series. But their is a weird hole in its resume. Wake Forest won the NCAA title in 1955 (the ACC's second season) - and in the 57 years since, nobody else has been able to win a title. That ACC's has had its chances -- 42 College World Series teams in that span, including 15 in the last seven years. That doesn't count FSU's pre-ACC record (11 World Series appearances -- no titles) or Miami's (21 World Series appearances with four titles).

Hard to believe the ACC could turn out so many College World Series teams without a title.

Going into this weekend of the 2013 tournament, the ACC was in remarkable shape -- four (of eight total NCAA teams) reached the Super Regional. The SEC also had four, the Pac 12 had three, the Big 12 two and nobody else had more than one. In a very real way, the ACC's showing was more impressive than the SEC since all four ACC teams had earned the right to host ... two of the four SEC teams were on the road.

The ACC is 2-2 going into Sunday's games. Both UNC and NC State won their openers in dramatic fashion (over South Carolina and Rice, respectively) ... Mississippi State killed Virginia and FSU lost a heartbreaker to Indiana (tying run at third base in the bottom of the ninth, winning run at second with one out, the team's two best hitters up and they get a pop-up and a routine fly ball). Obviously, NC State and UNC need one more win, while FSU and Virginia have to win two straight to make it to Omaha.

Here's the wild thing to me -- the way the brackets are set up, if UNC and NC State both win, they will face each other in the first round of the College World Series. That could give NC State lefthander Carlos Rodon another shot at UNC. Rodon, who is very likely to be the No. 1 pick in the 2014 draft (assuming he stays healthy) has pitched against UNC in two postseason games the last two years -- both in the ACC Tournament. He's gone a total of 19 winnings in the two games, allowing five hits, no earned runs, one unearned run and he's struck out 26 -- and UNC has won both games ... in 12 innings in the 2012 ACC Tournament and in 18 innings in this year's tournament.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but I'd love to see Rodon get a third chance at the Heels.

Meanwhile in Big East/AAC/ACC baseball, Louisville is through to the College World Series.

So yeah. About Maryland...

Sunday's games

Not a great day for the four ACC teams in the NCAA.

NC State did win -- rallying from a 3-run deficit in the bottom of the ninth, then winning in the 17th -- to earn their first trip to the CWS since 1968.

But FSU got bombed by Indiana and was eliminated -- going 0-2 at home in the Super Regional.

North Carolina beaten even worse, losing 8-0 to South Carolina. That makes it 1-1 and it all comes down to a game Monday in Chapel Hill -- winner goes to Omaha.

Virginia didn't lose, but they are hanging on by a thread -- down 5-3 in the bottom of the seventh when their game was suspended. Since they lost Saturday, they have to rally when the game is resumed, then win a tiebreaking game Monday to stay alive.

At least the ACC gets one team to Omaha. UNC, the top seed in the tournament, has a 50-50 chance to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Not a great day for the four ACC teams in the NCAA.

NC State did win -- rallying from a 3-run deficit in the bottom of the ninth, then winning in the 17th -- to earn their first trip to the CWS since 1968.

But FSU got bombed by Indiana and was eliminated -- going 0-2 at home in the Super Regional.

North Carolina beaten even worse, losing 8-0 to South Carolina. That makes it 1-1 and it all comes down to a game Monday in Chapel Hill -- winner goes to Omaha.

Virginia didn't lose, but they are hanging on by a thread -- down 5-3 in the bottom of the seventh when their game was suspended. Since they lost Saturday, they have to rally when the game is resumed, then win a tiebreaking game Monday to stay alive.

At least the ACC gets one team to Omaha. UNC, the top seed in the tournament, has a 50-50 chance to get there.
    State actually rallied in the top of the ninth for the tie and then had to hold off Rice in the bottom of the ninth, after the Owls got the first two runners on.

17 innings and a 75-minute rain delay. I had an 18-inning game a couple of weeks ago and I've sat through longer rain delays. But the combination is a new one for me. I've sat through 14, 12, 18 and 17 inning marathons in the last 16 days.

Is it too early to count Louisville? Not really serious. But if Miami's experience is any guide, they'd better win the CWS before joining the ACC, because the door slams shut after that.

Again, not really serious. But FSU's collapse came out of nowhere, after they bludgeoned their regional field last week and ditto with Virginia, although the 'Hoos could still come back.

But I'll find about that after I catch some shut-eye.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Breaking strange news. UNC/USC game rained out today. (Triangle area stuck in a rain pattern) They try again tomorrow at noon. Get this though, if tomorrow is a washout that's it. Will not be played. NCAA will pick one of the two teams to go to Omaha. As the overall Number 1 seed, there is zero doubt the pick will be UNC. That totally sucks for USC. They should use combined total runs from the two games played or something. Just picking seems totally unfair but it is the NCAA after all.

I asked a UNC guy today if moving the game to an alternate location was a possibility and he stated he did not think they would be allowed to move the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Breaking strange news. UNC/USC game rained out today. (Triangle area stuck in a rain pattern) They try again tomorrow at noon. Get this though, if tomorrow is a washout that's it. Will not be played. NCAA will pick one of the two teams to go to Omaha. As the overall Number 1 seed, there is zero doubt the pick will be UNC. That totally sucks for USC. They should use combined total runs from the two games played or something. Just picking seems totally unfair but it is the NCAA after all.

I asked a UNC guy today if moving the game to an alternate location was a possibility and he stated he did not think they would be allowed to move the game.
    It looks like tomorrow will be near 90 with only scattered storms. They should get the game in.

acc

Virginia bowed out with a 6-5 loss to Mississippi State in the second of two games -- it was suspended last night and finished this afternoon.

The Cavs had a real chance to win in the ninth -- thanks to two shaky defensive plays by MSU, which botched two straight weak infield grounders, allowing two runs to score. But with two outs and the tying run on third, they were able to complete a single 5-3 play (barely) and earn the trip to Omaha.

I was surprised that UNC cancelled its 7 p.m. game so early. It did rain hard in the area much of the day off and on, plus there were tornado warnings in our northern counties. But the last storm passed through the triangle just before 7 p.m. and according to the radar, it's clear to our south and west (where our weather comes from).

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

I saw a tweet yesterday from either the NCAA or CWS representative who said this was not the case. The game must be played. I want to say it was re-tweeted by Adam Rowe or Ben Swain.

... NCAA will pick one of the two teams to go to Omaha....
    A neutral, well-respected, knowledgeable third party should pick -- anybody know any good bakery shops?

Heels currently lead, 2-1, top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Heels currently lead, 2-1, top 5.
    Until their center fielder forgot how to catch a baseball. 3-2 'Cocks, top 6
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Until their center fielder forgot how to catch a baseball. 3-2 'Cocks, top 6
    The error gods giveth, the errors gods taketh away.

Not an aesthetic masterpiece.

Heels clinging to 5-4 lead in 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The error gods giveth, the errors gods taketh away.

Not an aesthetic masterpiece.

Heels clinging to 5-4 lead in 8th.
    Return of the Chicken Curse?

Heels win, will play NC State Sunday. Well, the game will start Sunday anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Return of the Chicken Curse?

Heels win, will play NC State Sunday. Well, the game will start Sunday anyway.
    I think it's only safe to say that the game is scheduled for Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I think it's only safe to say that the game is scheduled for Sunday.
    Come on, Carlos Rodon!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Come on, Carlos Rodon!
    It's NC State, it's UNC, and it's an important game.

I think we know what is about to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It's NC State, it's UNC, and it's an important game.

I think we know what is about to happen.
    It's June. None of the normal rules apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    It's June. None of the normal rules apply.
    True. This looks to be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Come on, Carlos Rodon!
    State and Carolina have played each other in the ACC Tournament each of the past two seasons.

Rodon started both games.

He was masterful. Both games.

He got a pair of no-decisions, as Carolina won both games.

State scored a combined one run in these two games, which went a combined 30 innings.

So, I think we see where the problem lies.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    State and Carolina have played each other in the ACC Tournament each of the past two seasons.

Rodon started both games.

He was masterful. Both games.

He got a pair of no-decisions, as Carolina won both games.

State scored a combined one run in these two games, which went a combined 30 innings.

So, I think we see where the problem lies.
    Maybe the folks at PackPride can help their team come up with some more weapons/ammunition for this series ().
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.