Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Boy, it's a good thing no players at Duke have ever smoked pot or had substance abuse problems.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Hey Bismarck, do us a favor, share with the board the lowest moment in your life and we will attempt to extrapolate how your life turned out.
    Okay, been married 28+ years. Have two kids, 24 and 21, one grand child that will be 4 soon. I make 6 figures and my wife is close to that. I have had low times in my life but the good Lord has pulled me through.

Extrapolate all you want, I do this to pass my time.

I follow Duke because of Coach K!

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Boy, it's a good thing no players at Duke have ever smoked pot or had substance abuse problems.
    You cant be the leading scorer AND get caught. The weed is a non-starter IMHO - The crime is being silly enough to get popped. Ask JJ how that worked out?

I hate to say this for a Carolina guy, but -- nothing much to see here, keep moving along.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hate to say this for a Carolina guy, but -- nothing much to see here, keep moving along.
    Am I the only one to see the humor in this post???

Quote Originally Posted by ChemGod View Post
    Not at all

Quote Originally Posted by ChemGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noworries View Post
    Not at all
    Remind me to tell you about the first time I met Dan Meagher. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Bless His Heart!
    While, of course, I hope his heart remains healthy, let's not get carried away here. A nitwit hole is a nitwit hole after all.

Remind me to tell you about the first time I met Dan Meagher. ;-)
    See your Danny Meagher, and raise you a Kenny Dennard.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    See your Danny Meagher, and raise you a Kenny Dennard.

-jk
    Not sure i could call that, and not sure all applicable statutes of limitation have run for anything that would raise. Certainly would need to go outside of the Duke athlete set to continue.

Had a beer with Kenny at a tailgate a few years ago (thanks as always, DiBD) -- seemed like a good egg.

Not sure i could call that, and not sure all applicable statutes of limitation have run for anything that would raise. Certainly would need to go outside of the Duke athlete set to continue.

Had a beer with Kenny at a tailgate a few years ago (thanks as always, DiBD) -- seemed like a good egg.
    Definitely a "good egg". Just not a choir-boy. Or anything close.

-jk

-jk
    Too much personality to fit in his body ...

I, for one, am thrilled to learn how much money someone makes in a thread about high UNC athletes.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I, for one, am thrilled to learn how much money someone makes in a thread about high UNC athletes.
    And remember, he was sharing the "lowest moment of his life" with us to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by BismarckDuke
    I think you should finish the story line...

An elite athlete and soon to be millionaire. And then will retire, become broke within 5 years because he spent all his money on drugs and becomes a bum..
    Quote Originally Posted by BismarckDuke View Post
    Because everyone who smoked pot in college ends up a bankrupt drug addict? Atlanta Duke

This was a reference to sports stars (athletes becoming millionaires), not general college students.
    You're still attempting to pin smoking weed in college as a primary cause of the athletes' future bankruptcies, which I would contend is a minor or non-existent factor.

How many people on ESPN 30 for 30's Broke said, "If only I hadn't smoked weed in college, I wouldn't have ended up like this." ? I would wager almost all their lives would have turned out remarkably similar whether or not marijuana existed in the universe or not.
    Weed didn't make them make stupid investments in restaurants, clubs, gaming companies, etc. Weed didn't make them have a huge cadre of hanger-on's who helped suck them dry (unless you want to argue they had more 'smoking buddies' than they otherwise would have). Weed didn't make them trust the wrong people who were in a position to scam them. Weed didn't make them purchase absurd amounts of depreciating assets. Weed didn't raise them with no knowledge or education in personal finance. And so on and so forth...

I think some people are understating the significance of this incident ever so slightly. Does this arrest adversely affect my opinion of PJ Hairston as a person or athlete? Of course not. And of course as a Duke student myself, I am very aware that such an incident could have happened to any number of students and student-athletes at Duke, UNC, or anywhere else, and really is not a big deal at all in the scheme of things. However, it is certainly a minor black eye for the program, as college basketball players of Hairston's caliber are under a microscope and serve as major role models for kids (difficult and unfair as that may be for a 20-year-old kid). So as with any arrest, I do believe this will, and should, merit a suspension of a few games early in the season from Roy. And, most importantly, this should make for some great fun when the Tarheels visit Cameron. Hey PJ, why does Meeks have the munchies?

punishment

Just wanted to add something different to the discussion. I've heard non-UNC fans wonder if this incident will have any repercussions for Hairston next year. I would suggest that the evidence is strongly against any potential penalties -- assuming there is no more to this than has been reported.

Remember, in the spring of 2008, Ty Lawson was busted for DUI and underage drinking -- MUCH more serious crimes (especially the first one) than what Hairston has been accused of. Obviously, Lawson suffered no suspension and ended up leading UNC to the national title.

Now, Will Graves was kicked off the team and while no official reason has ever been given, the most likely explanation is multiple failed drug tests. Not sure of the UNC sliding scale of drug justice or where Hairston is on that scale, but I doubt he's close to Graves' territory.

I agree that some here are getting a little holier than thou about weed use by players, but to defend JJ, he was never cited for drug use -- he was simply present in a room where a GA smelled weed (and there were quite a few people in the room). Not saying he didn't do it -- and I'm sure quite a few Duke players did over the years (someday check the drop in Alan Shaw's performance between his junior and senior seasons ... that was during my time at Duke and I know several players who smoked) but the evidence against JJ is not very strong.

-jk
    Same could be said about our own Gene "tinker bell" Banks. He and Kenny were running mates on the court and off. Both great guys. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just wanted to add something different to the discussion. I've heard non-UNC fans wonder if this incident will have any repercussions for Hairston next year. I would suggest that the evidence is strongly against any potential penalties -- assuming there is no more to this than has been reported.

Remember, in the spring of 2008, Ty Lawson was busted for DUI and underage drinking -- MUCH more serious crimes (especially the first one) than what Hairston has been accused of. Obviously, Lawson suffered no suspension and ended up leading UNC to the national title.

Now, Will Graves was kicked off the team and while no official reason has ever been given, the most likely explanation is multiple failed drug tests. Not sure of the UNC sliding scale of drug justice or where Hairston is on that scale, but I doubt he's close to Graves' territory.

I agree that some here are getting a little holier than thou about weed use by players, but to defend JJ, he was never cited for drug use -- he was simply present in a room where a GA smelled weed (and there were quite a few people in the room). Not saying he didn't do it -- and I'm sure quite a few Duke players did over the years (someday check the drop in Alan Shaw's performance between his junior and senior seasons ... that was during my time at Duke and I know several players who smoked) but the evidence against JJ is not very strong.
    To be fair to Ty Lawson, he was not busted for DUI but for driving after underage drinking. His breathalyzer was 0.03--well below the legal limit, and thus unlikely to impair his driving ability, but a violation anyway because he was underage. He was, however, driving on a suspended license, which is not good. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3400138/

Quote Originally Posted by BismarckDuke View Post
    Okay, been married 28+ years. Have two kids, 24 and 21, one grand child that will be 4 soon. I make 6 figures and my wife is close to that. I have had low times in my life but the good Lord has pulled me through.

Extrapolate all you want, I do this to pass my time.

I follow Duke because of Coach K!
    I always feel slightly bad for people who when asked about their life, one of the first comments they make is in reference to their salary.

And you were asked to give the low point so your current life could be extrapolated upon, not the other way around. C'mon man, play the game right.