Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1297586.html

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Sources close to the program have confirmed that UNC head coach Roy Williams met with P.J. Hairston on Thursday morning concerning his possession of marijuana charge.

North Carolina's leading scorer was stopped at a license check in Durham at 10:20pm on Wednesday night and was also charged with driving without a license.

Kids and adults make mistakes. PJ should have let someone drive the vehicle with a Valid Driver license. There are random Driver License Check Points in Durham, all the time!!!
    Bless His Heart!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1297586.html

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Sources close to the program have confirmed that UNC head coach Roy Williams met with P.J. Hairston on Thursday morning concerning his possession of marijuana charge.

North Carolina's leading scorer was stopped at a license check in Durham at 10:20pm on Wednesday night and was also charged with driving without a license.

Kids and adults make mistakes. PJ should have let someone drive the vehicle with a Valid Driver license. There are random Driver License Check Points in Durham, all the time!!!
    Bless His Heart!
    I agree with you. There is more to be unraveled in this situation, including whose car was it PJ was driving.

Hairston

I agree that a college student getting busted for a small amount of weed is no big deal. I'm 64 years old, but I favor legalization.

But ... a couple of points I'd want to check before dismissing this.

(1) I assume he was just transporting his drug purchase back to his apartment ... if he was driving under the influence, that would be a different story (the difference between having a six-pack of beers in the car and driving drunk. Even if the kid with the six-pack was underage, no big deal -- FWIW, I think the driving age should be 18). Again I'm assuming, but if he was actually smoking the stuff, I'm sure he would be charged with driving under the influence.

(2) I'm a bit confused about the driving without a license. Does he have a license and he just forgot to bring it? That's a minor fault (you are SUPPOSED to have it with you) that's usually erased when you show up in court and present your license. But what if he doesn't have a license? Period. That's more serious. The worst would be that he has a license and it has been suspended. THAT would be a serious crime. However, I assume that if that were the case, it would have been a different charge. Still, did he forget his license or did he not have one -- big difference.

(3) I would want to know who owns the car he was driving and who the license plate was registered to. The reason I ask if that one aspect of the UNC scandal that got swept under the rug were the players driving loaner cars from dealers with multiple license plates (in most cases provided by a Durham car dealer who was convicted of laundering drug money).

Just Waiting for the IC Thread on this...

Just Waiting for the IC Thread on this...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    In related news, unc alum George Karl got smoked by the Nuggets - pot is legal in Denver isn't it?
    Are there any other examples of a coach winning coach-of-the-year and getting fired after the same season?

IC on PJ...

IC :

"PJ Volunteers Time, Driving Around Delivering Medical Maijuana for Children Cancer Patients..."

kwamba magugu si yangu
    "that weed isn't mine" in Swahili

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    IC :

"PJ Volunteers Time, Driving Around Delivering Medical Maijuana for Children Cancer Patients..."
    "Hairston Thwarts Suspected Drug Deal, Abducted by Perps, Arrested in Misunderstanding akin to Duke Lacrosse Case"

Boink, boink, puff, puff, pass, ahhhhhhhhh...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Boink, boink, puff, puff, pass, ahhhhhhhhh...
    Uh, we are talking about PJ Hairston here...

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Are there any other examples of a coach winning coach-of-the-year and getting fired after the same season?
    Davey Johnson won AL Coach of the Year for the Orioles and then was fired that offseason, but that was like 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Uh, we are toking about PJ Hairston here...
    Fixed it for you.

Well played.

I wasn't referring to the "rock." But, if he passed, we could probably work "dime" into the conversation, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Fixed it for you.

Well played.

I wasn't referring to the "rock." But, if he passed, we could probably work "dime" into the conversation, too.
    Good one Duvall.

DD, PJ passes the weed even less than he passes the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by BismarckDuke View Post
    I think you should finish the story line...

An elite athlete and soon to be millionaire. And then will retire, become broke within 5 years because he spent all his money on drugs and becomes a bum..
    Because everyone who smoked pot in college ends up a bankrupt drug addict? I still have managed to hold on to enough $$ for an internet connection despite my use of the evil weed in college

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    In the 1950s Frank Leahy at Notre Dame got fired after an undefeated season AND a Heisman Trophy winner (Johnny Lattner, IIRC). It ushered in Terry Brennan, Joe Kuharich and a decade of mediocre football that ended when Ara was hired.

Casey Stengel got fired in 1960 after winning an AL pennant but losing to the Pirates in the World Series. In 12 years Stengel had ten pennants and seven World Series championships. Of course, he was 70 at the time he was let go, but went on to manage the Mets from 1962-1965.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I agree that a college student getting busted for a small amount of weed is no big deal. I'm 64 years old, but I favor legalization.

But ... a couple of points I'd want to check before dismissing this.

(1) I assume he was just transporting his drug purchase back to his apartment ... if he was driving under the influence, that would be a different story (the difference between having a six-pack of beers in the car and driving drunk. Even if the kid with the six-pack was underage, no big deal -- FWIW, I think the driving age should be 18). Again I'm assuming, but if he was actually smoking the stuff, I'm sure he would be charged with driving under the influence.

(2) I'm a bit confused about the driving without a license. Does he have a license and he just forgot to bring it? That's a minor fault (you are SUPPOSED to have it with you) that's usually erased when you show up in court and present your license. But what if he doesn't have a license? Period. That's more serious. The worst would be that he has a license and it has been suspended. THAT would be a serious crime. However, I assume that if that were the case, it would have been a different charge. Still, did he forget his license or did he not have one -- big difference.

(3) I would want to know who owns the car he was driving and who the license plate was registered to. The reason I ask if that one aspect of the UNC scandal that got swept under the rug were the players driving loaner cars from dealers with multiple license plates (in most cases provided by a Durham car dealer who was convicted of laundering drug money).
    Good points...to address 1 and 2: I've been in a car with a few people and a girl was driving who didn't have her license on her, but legally owned one, and we ended up at a checkpoint. The officer looked up her information and just told her to carry it with her, and let us go. I've also had a friend of mine who came up to a checkpoint and legally didn't own a license, and the officer searched his car due to the fact he legally didn't own a license. Unlucky for him, he was carrying a substantial amount of weed.

My point is: if PJ was smoking in the car, officers would smell it and have probable cause to search. If he wasn't, driving without a license would give them a right to search. My thought is either he was DUI or driving without a license, just based on previous experience. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as this is just a few personal experiences.

There are only a few stars the make something of their life after sports and I don't put PJ in that group.
    I don't suppose you have any support for that assertion do you, absent non standard definitions for "few", "stars" and "make something"?

Now had he gone to Duke and learned something, well...
    And folks wonder why Duke fans are called arrogant.

Because everyone who smoked pot in college ends up a bankrupt drug addict? Atlanta Duke

This was a reference to sports stars (athletes becoming millionaires), not general college students.

And folks wonder why Duke fans are called arrogant. Turtleboy

Sorry, maybe I should have started something on fire before I wrote that.

Geez, some people need to get some skin, those paper cuts sure do hurt.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I think you should finish the story line...

An elite athlete and soon to be millionaire. And then will retire, become broke within 5 years because he spent all his money on drugs and becomes a bum.

There are only a few stars the make something of their life after sports and I don't put PJ in that group. Now had he gone to Duke and learned something, well...
    Hey Bismarck, do us a favor, share with the board the lowest moment in your life and we will attempt to extrapolate how your life turned out.

Overheard in practice at 3 Rivers Stadium:

“PJ, when Coach says you need to get higher, he means when you release your shot.”

“OK, let’s go over it one more time, PJ. You DON’T need a license to drive the lane, you DO need a license to drive on the street.”

“It’s wine and cheese, PJ, not blunts and Cheetos.”

“Coach, tell PJ not to Bogart the rock!”

“Don’t get so excited, PJ. We’re playing midnight madness, not reefer madness.”

“Hey Coach - when Marcus said he was gonna drop some dimes today, how come PJ pulls out a roll of bills?”