Advice from old Kareem to young Kareem

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    To me, Kareem is the most interesting ex-athlete writer. His autobiography is one of the best, not just of a pretty sad genre - the athlete's autobiography, but of first-person accounts by people still actively engaged in the pursuits that made them famous. Surprisingly reflective.

Every time recently I've come across something Kareem has written, I've found it more interesting and thoughtful than i would have initially thought.

Long way of saying thanks for posting this. Some good advice here.

Young Kareem might have told Old Kareem to skip the tv celebrity diving show that he was recently on.

Great advice, great lines

I was a secret nerd who just happened to also be good at basketball.

Some women get a little freaked seeing a 7’2” black man with a carving knife and butcher’s apron.

There should also be some advice for young centers: Learn the hook shot. How do you think I managed to score over forty thousand points in college and the pros?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Young Kareem might have told Old Kareem to skip the tv celebrity diving show that he was recently on.
    OMG Weez, I literally had to look away when he dove from the 10 meter platform. Not a good place for older Kareem. Watching him play and thinking about how introverted he appeared, I never would have guessed he'd be so insightful.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

What a great piece

This is great advice not just to young athletes but to just about anyone (regardless of age you can always learn). Thank you Kareem.

13. Do one thing every day that helps someone else. This isn’t about charity, this is about helping one individual you know by name. Maybe it means calling your parents, helping a buddy move, or lending a favorite jazz album to Chocolate Fingers McGee.
    Kareem has a friend named "Chocolate Fingers McGee." I want the story of how that dude got that nickname. I am confident I will never, ever be cool enough to have a friend with a nickname like that. I mean, some dudes had interesting nicknames back in college, but Kareem is 50+ and still calling his friend, "Chocolate Fingers McGee." That's just awesome.

-Jason "I want my tombstone to read 'Post-a-matic Evans'... is that too much to ask?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?