Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No

Shame.

Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Well, the Ohio State University gave their players rings for their 12-0 season, which sort of makes sense. The Buckeyes were allowed to play those games, and they won them. Players have no control over what happens beyond their play on the field (and their actions off the field). NCAA violations are as out of reach to them as strength of schedule.

But wait! Those rings also say "Champions"; that word means, or at least strongly suggests, recognition by a third party. The Big Ten allowed Wisconsin to represent the Leaders Division in their football championship, which is pretty good evidence that they did not recognize Ohio State as the champions of anything. Declaring oneself a champion does not work.

By comparison, UNC's rings are just dopey. Take away the silly self-coronation -- the ACC did not recognize them as Coastal Division champions -- and you're left with rings that just say "8-4". Is it worth it to the athletic department to manufacture those rings? Is morale really that low?

I hope Duke (and State) fans react to this to amusement rather than outrage. After all, UNC players have been specifically told that because no one else recognizes the championship, these rings only give them magical powers when they're on campus.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...ivision-champs

"The Big Ten confirmed to me Tuesday that both Penn State and Ohio State can be named official Leaders division champions this season -- and, in Penn State's case, during the next three seasons -- despite the postseason ban. The teams even would earn a trophy from the league for winning the division. The division representative in the Big Ten title game would not have the "champion" label if it finishes second or third in the standings. "

Am I remembering correctly that because Seth was a transfer he couldn't get a ring for the 2010 National Championship? If so, how in blazes can it be legal for UNC to hand out a 100ish rings to players who by no NCAA book will be attributed to winning any title?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Am I remembering correctly that because Seth was a transfer he couldn't get a ring for the 2010 National Championship? If so, how in blazes can it be legal for UNC to hand out a 100ish rings to players who by no NCAA book will be attributed to winning any title?
    One institution has integrity. The other can go to Hell.

They never miss an opportunity to celebrate unrecognized championships at UNC. Who could forget about this classic...North Carolina 3rd place 1973 NIT banner.jpg

champions

Just to be clear, there is a difference between the Ohio State and UNC "championships"

The Big Ten ruled that while Ohio State was not eligible to participate in the Big Ten championship game, they COULD compete for the Leaders Division championship.

The ACC specifically ruled that UNC could NOT compete for the Coastal Division championship.

Issuing a ring (and I'm told they have erected billboards around the state, proclaiming their "championship") is an act of supreme chutzpah.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbd View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...ivision-champs

"The Big Ten confirmed to me Tuesday that both Penn State and Ohio State can be named official Leaders division champions this season -- and, in Penn State's case, during the next three seasons -- despite the postseason ban. The teams even would earn a trophy from the league for winning the division. The division representative in the Big Ten title game would not have the "champion" label if it finishes second or third in the standings. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The Big Ten ruled that while Ohio State was not eligible to participate in the Big Ten championship game, they COULD compete for the Leaders Division championship.
    I don't feel bad about being wrong here; click the link to see an ESPN guy with far more resources make the same mistake. But I cannot understand why the Big Ten would make this separation. Ohio State can win the division, and the Big Ten will award them a championship trophy for it, but they will send Wisconsin to the championship game and NOT recognize them for anything... unless they win that game? Had Wisconsin lost to Nebraska, they would have attained nothing that they could realistically put on a T-shirt. It's like in baseball, when a wild card team loses in the Division Series. They made the postseason, but didn't capture anything.

So I stand corrected. Congratulations to the Ohio State University for their 12-0 season and Leaders Division championship. Congratulations to the ACC for having more integrity than the Big Ten.

Pack Pride Product:

ringpp.jpg

UNC would not be the champion even if eligible

The first tiebreaker is head to head, the second is division record, and the third is record against other division teams, best to worst.

In this case the tiebreaker would come down to the third tie breaker. Since UNC lost to Duke, they would be eliminated.

I suppose they could claim that they were co-champions. But when half of the division are "champions", is that really something worth claiming?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I just want to point out that our team received Belk Bowl rings even though they lost the game. Let's not cast our stones too aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I just want to point out that our team received Belk Bowl rings even though they lost the game. Let's not cast our stones too aggressively.
    They are participation rings, not championship rings.

But at least Duke was actually *in* the Belk Bowl. UNC was, by rule, not Coastal Division champions. If Duke received rings that called them the Belk Bowl winner, that would be comparable, and also wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I believe the inscription is: Pwani Idara ya Mabingwa
    I believe the last word should read "MaBLINGwa"

I say we load the catapult and cast away. It's up to the sponsors to determine what they want to give participating teams.
    I'm proud of our guys and the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I say we load the catapult and cast away. It's up to the sponsors to determine what they want to give participating teams.
    I'm proud of our guys and the rings.
    Yeah, plus we should be able to break more glass than we lose.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...173007070.html

In an act of sheer arrogance, UNC has done it again. As if we weren't all disgusted by the plain arrogance and hutspah of the self-awarded "Helms National Championship," which predated actual national awards and NCAA tournaments (even in a year when they were considered maybe the fourth or fifth best team nationally), UNC has outdone themselves yet again. They have distributed gaudy "2012 Coastal Division Champs" rings to all of their FB players. I for one regard this as just plain dishonest and simply dishonorable.

Pathetic.
    Maybe they can stack the rings next to their Helms Trophy.