Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carolina Declares Selves FB Coastal Division Champs, distributes player rings

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...173007070.html

In an act of sheer arrogance, UNC has done it again. As if we weren't all disgusted by the plain arrogance and hutspah of the self-awarded "Helms National Championship," which predated actual national awards and NCAA tournaments (even in a year when they were considered maybe the fourth or fifth best team nationally), UNC has outdone themselves yet again. They have distributed gaudy "2012 Coastal Division Champs" rings to all of their FB players. I for one regard this as just plain dishonest and simply dishonorable.

Pathetic.

I like the fact it says "Smart" on them. At least all the words are spelled right.

Well, the Ohio State University gave their players rings for their 12-0 season, which sort of makes sense. The Buckeyes were allowed to play those games, and they won them. Players have no control over what happens beyond their play on the field (and their actions off the field). NCAA violations are as out of reach to them as strength of schedule.

But wait! Those rings also say "Champions"; that word means, or at least strongly suggests, recognition by a third party. The Big Ten allowed Wisconsin to represent the Leaders Division in their football championship, which is pretty good evidence that they did not recognize Ohio State as the champions of anything. Declaring oneself a champion does not work.

By comparison, UNC's rings are just dopey. Take away the silly self-coronation -- the ACC did not recognize them as Coastal Division champions -- and you're left with rings that just say "8-4". Is it worth it to the athletic department to manufacture those rings? Is morale really that low?

I hope Duke (and State) fans react to this to amusement rather than outrage. After all, UNC players have been specifically told that because no one else recognizes the championship, these rings only give them magical powers when they're on campus.

Wow! So, you win a DIVISON and that is now ring worthy?? What's next, winning season tie clips?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

I hope Duke (and State) fans react to this to amusement rather than outrage. .
    The State fans I know are reacting with amusement, calling this Carolina's version of a "parade" (a major dig at all the grief State received from their baby-blue counterparts after Amato's team defeated Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl to cap an 11-3 season).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Well, the Ohio State University gave their players rings for their 12-0 season, which sort of makes sense. The Buckeyes were allowed to play those games, and they won them. Players have no control over what happens beyond their play on the field (and their actions off the field). NCAA violations are as out of reach to them as strength of schedule.

But wait! Those rings also say "Champions"; that word means, or at least strongly suggests, recognition by a third party. The Big Ten allowed Wisconsin to represent the Leaders Division in their football championship, which is pretty good evidence that they did not recognize Ohio State as the champions of anything. Declaring oneself a champion does not work.
    The Ohio State rings appear to say "LEADERS" at the top and "CHAMPIONS" at the bottom, which suggests that the Buckeyes are at least laying a quiet claim to the Leaders Division title, much like UNC.

Unless the rings actually say "LEADERS" and "CHAMPIONS" separately, with no claim to the division title. ("No, money down!")

Let's all remember here this is a school that hangs banners in the dome for basically anything. I'm sure they will have a final 32 banner hanging next year for this past years achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    The Ohio State rings appear to say "LEADERS" at the top and "CHAMPIONS" at the bottom, which suggests that the Buckeyes are at least laying a quiet claim to the Leaders Division title, much like UNC.

Unless the rings actually say "LEADERS" and "CHAMPIONS" separately, with no claim to the division title. ("No, money down!")
    Awesome reference.

But by saying "CHAMPIONS" it's laying a claim to something, and they are the champions of nothing. It doesn't matter whether "CHAMPIONS" is connected to "LEADERS" or not. (I would be okay with a "LEADERS/12-0/DIVISION" ring. That just says they played in the Leaders Division and won all 12 of their games, which is accurate.)

"I cheated my posterior off and all I have to show for it is this stupid ring"...

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...173007070.html

In an act of sheer arrogance, UNC has done it again. As if we weren't all disgusted by the plain arrogance and hutspah of the self-awarded "Helms National Championship," which predated actual national awards and NCAA tournaments (even in a year when they were considered maybe the fourth or fifth best team nationally), UNC has outdone themselves yet again. They have distributed gaudy "2012 Coastal Division Champs" rings to all of their FB players. I for one regard this as just plain dishonest and simply dishonorable.

Pathetic.
    The idiot "student" athletes are all trying to sell the rings on ebay at the same time, deflating the price. Fortunately for them, many of the listings are spelled incorrectly, in many different ways, so they don't all pop up together in searches.

The players were "supposed" to wait until they met boosters at organized events and reap a profit from the rings, but the players confused the events with classes and assumed they weren't supposed to go.

Carolina sucks.

Exhibit 48.

No doubt they will swap them for tattoos, since the rules that apply to everyone else in the NCAA, by definition, do not apply to them.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    LOL. That cesspool west of Durham masquerading as a "University" gets sadder by the day. They are living on borrowed time...

I imagine the rampant rules breaking to keep the non-student athlete's eligible has not slowed down one bit either. If you believe you are above the rules (which this latest stunt clearly shows) you will not conform to them in any area, on the field or in the classroom.

Is there perhaps a special engraving that says vacated on those?

i haven't seen the rings. is the inscription in latin or swahili?

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    i haven't seen the rings. is the inscription in latin or swahili?
    I believe the inscription is: Pwani Idara ya Mabingwa

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    In an act of sheer arrogance, UNC has done it again. As if we weren't all disgusted by the plain arrogance and hutspah of the self-awarded "Helms National Championship,"
    In case you need more to be annoyed about, recall Roy's practice of ordering a net-cutting ceremony whenever unc wins a regular season conference "championship".

My NC tax dollars hard at work again. It's not arrogant. It's just plain stupid.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    In case you need more to be annoyed about, recall Roy's practice of ordering a net-cutting ceremony whenever unc wins a regular season conference "championship".
    To be fair, so does Coach P. We cut down the nets in Cameron after beating the Smurfs this past season. The ACC recognizes the regular season leader as a "champion." Look up and read our banners.

Give credit where it's due.

UNC survived a gauntlet: they cheated, were ineligible for a bowl, ineligible for the conference championship, and they won 5 ACC games. That's ring worthy, I believe. And their lineman who survived being tied up by those gals on Franklin Street a couple years ago should get watches.